Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2024, 10:24 AM   #43
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Consent seems to be the central issue with GM, which is why this is very quickly becoming a much bigger issue. Dealers enrolled their customers without their knowledge, or the "car" is considered enrolled, and a new buyer may or may not know the car is being recorded, etc.

Agree. Find it interesting that on the Camaro itself there is no screen prompt to turn off the data sharing of telematics or to restrict that info to GM. You also cannot turn off the Wifi, at least I can't find a prompt to do that with.

I have never used the GM app so can't turn the data sharing off with that. I did find a form filled out by the dealer at purchase that auto enrolled me in OnStar in a free trial (which I really didn't want), on that form it stated I had opted out of data sharing. What exactly does that mean?

Did GM pay any attention to that? Not sure, I have a request in for GM's privacy dep't to give me an answer, they responded for some further info from me so still waiting after I gave them what they needed.

I contrast that to my Ford Explorer which clearly allows me to turn off insurance sharing with a prompt and wifi as well on the screen. I don't really care if Ford has the telematic info, just don't share it where it can be related back to me individually for any reason.

I'm in Canada, we have some reasonably strong privacy laws, but it always get tricky when it comes down to the details.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:37 AM   #44
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
Agree. Find it interesting that on the Camaro itself there is no screen prompt to turn off the data sharing of telematics or to restrict that info to GM. You also cannot turn off the Wifi, at least I can't find a prompt to do that with.

I have never used the GM app so can't turn the data sharing off with that. I did find a form filled out by the dealer at purchase that auto enrolled me in OnStar in a free trial (which I really didn't want), on that form it stated I had opted out of data sharing. What exactly does that mean?

Did GM pay any attention to that? Not sure, I have a request in for GM's privacy dep't to give me an answer, they responded for some further info from me so still waiting after I gave them what they needed.

I contrast that to my Ford Explorer which clearly allows me to turn off insurance sharing with a prompt and wifi as well on the screen. I don't really care if Ford has the telematic info, just don't share it where it can be related back to me individually for any reason.

I'm in Canada, we have some reasonably strong privacy laws, but it always get tricky when it comes down to the details.
In recent years, it's been confusing with GM.

There's the MyLink in-car entertainment system, with its own apps and settings, including an OnStar App.

Then there's the MyChevrolet App for mobile devices.

Previously, there is/was also an OnStar app for mobile devices.

And then there are both the MyChevrolet and OnStar web portals.

In recent years, I think most of the OnStar functionality/configuration has moved to the MyChevrolet App (mobile).

But what if you signed the form at the dealer and never use the mobile app or the web portal. Now you have to sign up for those, create an account, just to turn off this horrendous feature, which forces you to agree to more terms of service and data sharing! Else call GM and see if they can disable it for you.

From an end-user perspective the whole setup is confusing and redundant, and the consent and enabling of this type of sharing appears to be purposefully obfuscated. I hope that wasn't the intent, but it sure doesn't look to be made clear and easy.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:50 AM   #45
CamaroRSOnt

Can't believe GM doesn't have some intent with the way they have structured this setup.

GM has a privacy office in Canada, instead of trying to work thru this backwards (I did dig out the OnStar form from the purchase file) and determine my status I will let them tell me where I am at. Depending on the answer I will take it from there, not the first time I have taken on a corp. Hope GM in the U.S. is feeling the push back as well, abysmal way to treat your customers.

By the way on the C8 forum one of the posters is involved with the Massachusetts attorney general who is looking into it for him.
Then there is that court case filed by a Florida Caddy owner regarding data sharing. GM has hit a nerve with this.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-22-2024, 01:15 PM   #46
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
By the way on the C8 forum one of the posters is involved with the Massachusetts attorney general who is looking into it for him.
Then there is that court case filed by a Florida Caddy owner regarding data sharing. GM has hit a nerve with this.
I live in Massachusetts too so I think I’ll touch base with the AG as well… add some fuel to this fire.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:41 PM   #47
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I’ll remind everyone again. This isn’t just GM and OnStar. Every company that sells a connected vehicle does this. I’m going through it and reading the fine print on my VW. Even if you don’t sign up for driver monitoring, VW clearly states they will sell your contact information and the list is pretty wide open on who they sell it to,

So yes, this sis a Camaro/GM fan site, but stop acting like it is only GM.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Our data is king and highly valuable. It’s why Facebook and Google are HUGELY profitable without actually selling anything. You need to watch the movie “The Social Dilema”. WE are the product and by we it is our data.
I understand that, but I'm driving a GM vehicle, so I don't care what the other companies are doing necessarily. Like the quote I'm referring to below, I believe GM had intent was not in the interest of the customer - US. That - and the way it is buried in the app and how un-intuitive it is to opt' out (and not even completely), I just don't believe they were subverting a way for them to make money off of their customers even more with some safety and convenience BS without actually educating us reasonably. IF it was in our interest, we'd have to opt' IN, and not have to jump through hoops to get out. That's the point, for me.

I know nothing's free. I feel like this was almost an obfuscation (maybe a little strong, but close enough). I accept responsibility, ultimately, but I feel like there was a deliberate attempt to mislead their intent of the product. That's my issue with this.

Quote:
Can't believe GM doesn't have some intent with the way they have structured this setup.

GM has a privacy office in Canada, instead of trying to work thru this backwards (I did dig out the OnStar form from the purchase file) and determine my status I will let them tell me where I am at. Depending on the answer I will take it from there, not the first time I have taken on a corp. Hope GM in the U.S. is feeling the push back as well, abysmal way to treat your customers.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:09 PM   #48
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
After reading the article, that law suit will fail.

Key words: "Cancel at any time." And he would have had to sign the document 3 times without knowing that he signed up for it.

He's screwed.

Just glad I bought my car from Nissan. I REALLY do not want my insurance company getting my driving habits on the highway as of recently.

ing for excuses.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq

Last edited by FlukeSS; 03-23-2024 at 03:27 PM.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:30 PM   #49
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo85 View Post
WTF i bought my camaro used from a non-chevy dealer and never signed up for onstar - do I need to worry about this too?? Did you purchase your car from a Chevy or other GM dealer?
To answer your question no. Its only for new vehicles. And it would have to be a GM/Chevy Dealership. And even possible that you'd have to pay for On Star subscription. I did call the dealership I bought my car from used. They said no they use Siri, and that I would potentially need a subscription to On-Star.

For example: I had a Chevy Silverado I sold not to long ago, that had this service on it. I did get monthly reports on my vehicle, but have never received one on my camaro yet. And I bought my Camaro beginning of 2020.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #50
CamaroRSOnt

Just an update , might see it on other threads. As of March 20th GM announced they have cut ties with the two companies who were reselling customer data to insurance companies.

GM stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash

Customers, wittingly or not, had their driving data shared with insurers.

Jonathan M. Gitlin - 3/22/2024, 4:23 PM

After public outcry, General Motors has decided to stop sharing driving data from its connected cars with data brokers. Last week, news broke that customers enrolled in GM's OnStar Smart Driver app have had their data shared with LexisNexis and Verisk.

Those data brokers in turn shared the information with insurance companies, resulting in some drivers finding it much harder or more expensive to obtain insurance. To make matters much worse, customers allege they never signed up for OnStar Smart Driver in the first place, claiming the choice was made for them by salespeople during the car-buying process.

Now, in what feels like an all-too-rare win for privacy in the 21st century, that data-sharing deal is no more.

"As of March 20th, OnStar Smart Driver customer data is no longer being shared with LexisNexis or Verisk. Customer trust is a priority for us, and we are actively evaluating our privacy processes and policies," GM told us in a statement.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03...amid-backlash/

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-23-2024, 04:17 PM   #51
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Just like Number 3 has said, it's not only GM. Several people have mentioned looking at Ford vehicles. Here's a video about a guy with a 2024 Mustang and what info it shares with Ford.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:36 AM   #52
CamaroRSOnt

I have a Ford Explorer as well, like GM they take a lot of data off the vehicle. The difference is they clearly have a prompt on mine that allows them to share your data with an insurance company or not, directly on the screen in your vehicle. You can turn it on or off with that prompt. You can also turn the wifi off with a prompt in the Ford. Can't do that with GM.

I assume that Ford grabs their data with a cell connection , similiar to OnStar but I don't feel the need to look for it as I have not enabled insurance sharing on the vehicle. Seems to me this is way GM should have gone instead of burying your acceptance to share data in the paper work you sign at the dealership or on a app that you might not even use. I have never used the GM app, got enough apps on my phone.

Seems now that GM has decided they need to do better with their latest announcement that they have stopped sharing data with the two companies involved as of March 20th. I agree, they need to do better.

Agree with the guy in the video above, far too much info being grabbed by our vehicles. I get the feeling big gov't is driving a lot of this, seems like they want to control every facet of our lives. Scary how easily they interject their authority into our lives, where is the limit?
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 03-24-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #53
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
So the bigger question or maybe I should say another question is……. Are these other metrics as in engine data being stored and utilized to deny warranty claims and most importantly will removing the OnStar board from the vehicle be a cause for warranty denial?
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:03 PM   #54

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Interesting all this data collection by GM. Curious though about the connection between all the auto thefts and GMs ability to collect elaborate data. That is, does the data collection stop as soon as the car is stolen? Why can't the data be used to trace the car's movements and locations as soon as it is stolen? On-Star claims to be able to do this, but yet it seems the thieves are able to defeat the tracking, which should be a function of data collection.

So many threads and ideas about how to defeat the On-Star and the data collection by GM, yet owners seem to be struggling to do this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the car thieves.

Why can't this data collection system be used to track down stolen cars? So many want to end unwanted data collection and the loss of personal privacy, yet ironically the only ones capable of doing this are car thieves....lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:36 PM   #55
CamaroRSOnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Interesting all this data collection by GM. Curious though about the connection between all the auto thefts and GMs ability to collect elaborate data. That is, does the data collection stop as soon as the car is stolen? Why can't the data be used to trace the car's movements and locations as soon as it is stolen? On-Star claims to be able to do this, but yet it seems the thieves are able to defeat the tracking, which should be a function of data collection.

So many threads and ideas about how to defeat the On-Star and the data collection by GM, yet owners seem to be struggling to do this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the car thieves.

Why can't this data collection system be used to track down stolen cars? So many want to end unwanted data collection and the loss of personal privacy, yet ironically the only ones capable of doing this are car thieves....lol

The thieves simply remove the fuse for the OnStar system and then there is no tracking, easy peasy.

With that fuse removal some functions are lost on your Camaro. It has been mentioned on other threads, believe it is the mic for hands free calling doesn't work and bluetooth or something similiar. That is the concern of the owner when it comes to removing the fuse, losing those features. The guy stealing the car isn't worried about that.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-24-2024, 12:38 PM   #56

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
The thieves simply remove the fuse for the OnStar system and then there is no tracking, easy peasy.

With that fuse removal some functions are lost on your Camaro. It has been mentioned on other threads, believe it is the mic for hands free calling doesn't work and bluetooth or something similiar. That is the concern of the owner when it comes to removing the fuse, losing those features. The guy stealing the car isn't worried about that.
Ok...missed that part...lol...Thank you. Didn't know thieves removed a fuse as part of the stealing procedure.

But yet, data collection continues whether or not the owner uses/subscribes to On-Star or not.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote