The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Gohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubstep View Post
A dual-clutch automatic would likely smoke the manual, shaving a decent bit off the 0-60 time.
+1

Would have loved to see a dual clutch paddle system on the new Corvette. Hopefully it comes as an available option in later model years.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
+1

Would have loved to see a dual clutch paddle system on the new Corvette. Hopefully it comes as an available option in later model years.
I'd love nothing more than to see one in the C7. Not holding my breath for now though. Although Ford has developed a dual clutch transmission in house (a rather crappy one as well) GM seems content to solider along with their current 6 speed slushbox and then release the anticipated 8 speed when ready. The C7 does have some packaging issues with the rearward located transmission AND serious torque numbers to deal with. Hence the truck/4X4 transmissions used in the past. But if GM and Tadge are truly dead serious about keeping a 'Vette up in the "best sports car in the world" discussion, then a DCT is mandatory in the future IMHO. Even if they put in an 8 speed auto that can hang with the current 8 speed Aisin and ZF boxes, there's just no comparison with the sheer shift speed of a dual clutch setup IMHO. Go drive an Audi S4/S5 with S-Tronic.

$0.02. I'm sure GM knows this, I'll shut up now.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
HubStep

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
I'd love nothing more than to see one in the C7. Not holding my breath for now though. Although Ford has developed a dual clutch transmission in house (a rather crappy one as well) GM seems content to solider along with their current 6 speed slushbox and then release the anticipated 8 speed when ready. The C7 does have some packaging issues with the rearward located transmission AND serious torque numbers to deal with. Hence the truck/4X4 transmissions used in the past. But if GM and Tadge are truly dead serious about keeping a 'Vette up in the "best sports car in the world" discussion, then a DCT is mandatory in the future IMHO. Even if they put in an 8 speed auto that can hang with the current 8 speed Aisin and ZF boxes, there's just no comparison with the sheer shift speed of a dual clutch setup IMHO. Go drive an Audi S4/S5 with S-Tronic.

$0.02. I'm sure GM knows this, I'll shut up now.

Completely agree. With DCT we could see shifts in as little as 40 *mili* seconds. I know lot of people here are of the opinion "if it's not manual it's not a sports car", but no human can do that ha.

For anyone interested BMW did a good video/cgi showing how double-clutch works: (they show cutaways halfway through)

[ame]http://youtu.be/3168HrHGeLw[/ame]
HubStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Gohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubstep View Post
Completely agree. With DCT we could see shifts in as little as 40 *mili* seconds. I know lot of people here are of the opinion "if it's not manual it's not a sports car", but no human can do that ha.

For anyone interested BMW did a good video/cgi showing how double-clutch works: (they show cutaways halfway through)

http://youtu.be/3168HrHGeLw
Interesting video thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
This is a good discussion. I think the C7 certainly lends itself to a dual clutch application without hesitation, but meeting the production deadlines is always tough to pull together for a major vehicle launch. I bet it will show up soon.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote