Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
London-SS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
To sell or not to sell!!

Ok,I own a 2010 SS auto in summit white. I had the car sent to me all the way from the states to Dubai.
Everything was great until a recent incident where I was driving around an abandoned road. Quite honestly,I was pushing the car to it's limits,miscalculated a sharp turn and came off and damaged the suspension.
I had loads of issues finding a garage I could trust to get the job done right as the local Chevy dealer in Dubai will not work on my car due to it being an import! Eventually found some one I thought would know what their doing. I was wrong!!!
The car is back but nothing like it used to be. I feel a lack of power,engine is strong and rev's hard but don;t feel the power is being put down through the wheels. Crap loads of vibration at 80 kph. Traction control light on,stablitrak service msg,tire pressure msg etc etc

I loved the car but why have a V8 with v4 power!! There is no way the car is even making 300+ hp

I have no clue what to do. Keep it and spend more and attempt to get it back to the way it used to be or get rid of it.

Not even sure where to start if I was to keep it. I was thinking to Dyno it? Than tune? Replace all sensors?? spend mpre $$$ dollars on suspension when I've already replaced everything that was damaged with OEM parts.
This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
London-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Lookup mike from new era performance. He goes over there a couple times of year and could look at it. He is from Rochester ny.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Sounds like your car is in limp mode. If they replaced a bunch of the suspension maybe they screwed up the ABS or something.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
NotchedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM L99
I heard that locally in Dubai that the people would pay twice as much for a Camaro because its rare over there. Not sure if its true but had an acquaintance sell his used SS for $50,000.
-SLP Loudmouth I Muffler Delete
-V8 Only Range Device
-Technostalgia Advanced Taillights
-Elite Engineering Catch Can
-Anvil Notch Spoiler
NotchedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
London-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Sounds like your car is in limp mode. If they replaced a bunch of the suspension maybe they screwed up the ABS or something.
ABS defo messed up! Limp mode? Any advice on what to do to rectify this?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
London-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchedSS View Post
I heard that locally in Dubai that the people would pay twice as much for a Camaro because its rare over there. Not sure if its true but had an acquaintance sell his used SS for $50,000.
Not true,there are Chevy dealerships selling GCC (Gulf spec) for slightly more than what you would pay in the U.S

Imports are cheaper.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
London-SS

C'mon guys! Chime in! Help a brotha out!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

Drives: 2SS
when you start the car, what error codes do you have in dash?
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #9

also describe us where the damage took place and what oem parts you changed....that might help us understand what happened. Be specific!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
London-SS

I changed 90% of the suspension components on the right side,so shock absorber,springs,control arm,end link,bushing etc
I'm finding it difficult to let go of her but I am nearly there. I think it's the end of the road. I like my cars mint and problem free and I don;t really feel I can restore her to her former glory!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #11

First of all I do believe an abs sensor is down...that is why you see service stabilititrack and also abs errors or so. Regarding the vibration, assuming you have done a PROPER alignment start by centering your wheels on the car hub, if that does not work make sure the wheels are properly balanced. If this doesn`t work a rotating assembly might be bent. Do you feel the vibration in the front of the car or at the back? If you let go the wheel does it try to go to the right or left or is it neutral?

I see you also have a tire pressure light on, the sensors from the car could have gone wrong or the mechanics could have put the front wheels to the back...or the sensors from the wheels.

Before you decide to sell take into consideration that american cars are the simpliest cars to work on, you should not give up on it before you know for sure what is the problem.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
I have been under the camaro to study the rear suspension in detail. Not to work on it.
All of the control arms are stamped and formed sheet steel. It seemed to me that any
sideways event can bend the arms and throw them out of alignment. If they are out of alignment
the 4 CVS joints (2 each side) are abnormally angled. A drive shaft manufacturer told me every 1 degree of angle on a u-joint robs 5 hp out of the drive line. So if you rear drive links are misaligned 2 degrees, that is 2 x 4 joints x 5 HP =40 HP. If it is worse do the math. This is one reason I like a solid rear axle on a muscle car. IRS is finicky. You haveto pay to align all 4 wheels, not just the front 2.
I have owned a 1991 Cougar XRZ with HO pushrod 5.0. I know by today's standards that is docile.
The point is that vehicle like Camaro5 was same wb, same weight and IRS. Like Camaro5 it had a very nice ride. Ford used a 4 corners hinged plate on that IRS and it stood up to shock and sideways abuse better than stamped steel arms. I would guess your problem
is a number of things, one of them for sure is rear wheel alignment. If you going to drive like the Dukes of Hazard or Smokey and The Bandit, get a solid rear axle. That whippy IRS under the Camaro will not take police chase abuse.
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
London-SS

Would your observation apply to the front suspension as well? I have no damage to the rear!
And just to clarify,I have done all of the obvious i.e rotation,balancing alignement etc etc Nothing has worked so far.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #14

the alignment could be off....many times I have seen alignemts appereantly ok gone wrong. Recheck it, if that does not work I would try to see bent if u have bent joints of the front subframe, also how is your steering rack connections, have u checked those too?