The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #183
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
For some reason I don't love it... I feel like I'd rather buy a C7GS and spend the difference on mods, or buy a ZL1/1LE if I were shopping in that particular price range.

Way to bash GM's own design team, guy
I didn't read it that way at all. Especially when you look at the very next line:
Quote:
"But if you're generating true downforce, like epic quanties of downforce, you can't route that through the hatch. You'll crack it"
and then the article continues "So his wing mounts aft of the hatch opening, where two aluminum castings tucked inside the fascia tie into the back of the car's composite tub and transmit that load down to the bumper beam."

Nothing against the design team there.

He was saying that there are guys out there who will mod their car by slapping a wing onto the hatch of their car. This isn't good because that hatch isn't designed to support the huge downforce load of the wing. The guys that do this don't care, because they're never going to go faster than highway speed. They are posing as racers, hence posers.

If you were thinking that it was a shot against the Z06, it isn't: because the Z06 doesn't use a wing, it uses a spoiler. That may sound like semantics (and I used the terms pretty interchangeably until recently), but spoilers work very differently than wings. They trap a pocket of air over the entire back area of the car. This spreads the load out over a very large area, instead of a few square inches under the wing pylons. Plus, the Z06 makes less downfoce so its even easier for the hatch to support the load.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #184
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I didn't read it that way at all. Especially when you look at the very next line:
and then the article continues "So his wing mounts aft of the hatch opening, where two aluminum castings tucked inside the fascia tie into the back of the car's composite tub and transmit that load down to the bumper beam."

Nothing against the design team there.

He was saying that there are guys out there who will mod their car by slapping a wing onto the hatch of their car. This isn't good because that hatch isn't designed to support the huge downforce load of the wing. The guys that do this don't care, because they're never going to go faster than highway speed. They are posing as racers, hence posers.

If you were thinking that it was a shot against the Z06, it isn't: because the Z06 doesn't use a wing, it uses a spoiler. That may sound like semantics (and I used the terms pretty interchangeably until recently), but spoilers work very differently than wings. They trap a pocket of air over the entire back area of the car. This spreads the load out over a very large area, instead of a few square inches under the wing pylons. Plus, the Z06 makes less downfoce so its even easier for the hatch to support the load.
It was a joke on my part about how the ZL1/1LE wing is mounted, but that does have additional trunk bracing as well.

Frankly, I like how this spoiler works on a C7 best of all, though the price is rather daunting:

http://store.katechengines.com/tikt-c7-wing-p535.aspx

Hard mounted to the rear of the tub, and the wing itself rotates up out of the way to make room for the hatch to open via some quick release pins.