Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #15
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
When my wife's 2011.5 XC60 T6 was brand new, I remember parking it at a Carrabba's in the very middle of a spot. People were headed toward the car next to us (on our driver's side), so I hit the button to fold the mirrors in...just to be safe. As I sat in our new car, I watched the portly passenger open up the front door of that car and *thwack!*, right into the folded mirror . I was pissed, looked at her from inside our car and said "really?" She apologized, there was no perceptible damage, so that ended that. People are just clueless and careless.

LEFT HAND DRIVE

Last edited by Dan1028; 09-27-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Good news, I got some polish compound and got the majority of the paint off. It looks like a tiny rock speck got it... at least itll match my gills lol.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Good news, I got some polish compound and got the majority of the paint off. It looks like a tiny rock speck got it... at least itll match my gills lol.
Good stuff
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I always park far out in the parking lot, even if it's just for a few minutes. Aside from the peace of mind, I figure I'll be doing a lot of walking once I get inside the store, what's an extra hundred yards across the parking lot?

As for claiming a door ding on insurance - I've never been in a situation to do so, but wouldn't that require a police report? And if it does, would that show up on a Carfax report when you sell it or trade it in? I don't know how in-depth the end buyer's information would be, but if it's just listed as "impact on driver's side" with no details, that could lower the trade-in value. It seems that it might be more prosperous to just let it go and cover the cost yourself (unless you can get the other person to pay for it out of pocket).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Most law enforcement are not going going to write any report on a unintentional door ding. You may be able to generate a case number if the agency has that option for online report.

CRF: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
I am very very picky about my vehicles and like most others have said I park as far away and out of the way as possible. ......it is very sad but no matter what you do people are careless and have no respect for others property. Me and wife stopped at a little event a week ago and we were in an classic car we own, before we Made it to the corner I had to turn around and leave because we watched 3 kids ( 15 or 16/ plenty old enough to know better) touching and leaning over inside our car! It's very sad that you can not enjoy what you work for without the worry of some douche damaging it.

The fact that the guy looked rite at you and then opened his door into yours just shows that people are stupid, if that's what they do when you watch them imagine when your not around! Sometimes a good a@$ whoop'n is in order haha
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
If I'm out with the camaro, I try to find a spot far away with as few cars as possible, then I park next to the nicest car out there (assuming there is one), that way I'm almost guaranteed that side of my car won't get dinged.

The side benefit is walking is good exercise.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #22
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
I also park in "the boonies" to be safe and I collect any carts, that may be attracted to May car, as I walk in. It's probably pretty comical to observe me collecting carts if you're sitting in the parking lot and have no clue what I'm doing... Maybe I should start carrying 4 orange road cones and some police tape...
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #23
Pct1theory

Drives: '15 2LT RS - Bee Colors
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post
I also park in "the boonies" to be safe and I collect any carts, that may be attracted to May car, as I walk in. It's probably pretty comical to observe me collecting carts if you're sitting in the parking lot and have no clue what I'm doing... Maybe I should start carrying 4 orange road cones and some police tape...
I do the same and I second that. People are damn idiots and don't care at all. It is perfectly fine if they don't care about their own cars but respect other people's! We need wider parking spots!
Pct1theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #24
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Isn't this why lord gave us weapons such as the the 45 cal and AR-15?
It's this type of mindset that gives all firearm owners a bad wrap.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #25
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
I don't mean to be a car type of racist, carcist, but I do inspect all sides of my vehicle when I do "have" to park next to someone, being that there is a beat up Chevy astro van next to me. Park faaaaar out and you will reduce your chances of dings by a good percent. It may be that I'm paranoid, but now I have to worry about those ass dick brains flying 100 mph through the parking lots and sideswiping my car. Oh and yes corner spots aren't always the best because you get those dingbats who think just because you squeezed up close to the curb they have the right to park their 20 foot long dually at a 70 degree angle nearly blocking you in or ripping off your front or rear bumper depending on which way you are parked. And if I catch anyone other than admiring my harmless double parked camaro 100' from any other car it ain't going to be all daffodils and unicorns! You may later on see them floating around in your head in a black universe of nothing, but it won't be pretty, especially if my chick is staying watch.

Yeah I'm Debbie downer, but no matter how you try and protect your car someone will F*** it up. Just protect it as best as possible and it won't be F****ed up so bad!

And why is C5 bleeping my f words, what are we supposed to be "politically correct" so nobody gets offended or some shit? Ugh America, sensitive, careless, and have fat slobs with shitty cars who blob themselves out of their car throwing their door open and contaminating the depth of someones pure crystal red paint job...

Last edited by CruisingSpeed; 10-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.
CruisingSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #26
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
It's this type of mindset that gives all firearm owners a bad wrap.
I see your point.. it's just forum talk here..

But.. what gives the bad rap are the lunatics walking into schools, churches, government offices, their jobs, movie theaters etc. and mowing down folks.. ..
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #27
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
If person whom door dings me says "It's just a ding, no harm" or some statement to that fact, then follow these steps: 1. Go get Ball hammer, 2. plow a ding into their drivers door , 3. leave a note saying "I see what you mean, no harm done"! Trust me, they will be thinking about it next time they open their door.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #28
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
So far no door dings as I can see. Maybe it's because I don't go to the local Walmart or Mall in the middle of the day where it's the worse. At least at work I have other workers who are respectful to my car and other nice cars around them. If someone dings a door on this car there will be hell to pay.