The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
john suntato

Drives: 2014 stingray
john suntato

My 2014 Stingray has 2,100 miles on it and I am experiencing a slight drift to the right. On my first visit the dealer switched the two front tires which did not help. On my last visit they diagnosed it as reaction to crowned roads. I can drive my 2014 Subaru, Forester on what I consider flat roads and it goes straight as an arrow, while on those same roads the Stingray still drifts to the right. The dealer suggests adjusting the castor and camber to over compensate for it, however they did not have the latest factory specs to do this. I declined this solution. Comments please. Thanks.
john suntato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
bandit723

Drives: 2014 c7
I would have it put on a alignment rack. don't buy the road crown BS..... maybe find a different dealership to do the job.....
bandit723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Dada

Drives: Z51 White on Black
yeah sounds like an alignment issue
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
The crown of the road will have a far more noticeable effect on the Corvette than any Subaru for one specific reason: tire width. The Corvette tires are much wider than most cars, and its well documented that wider tire will track with varying road conditions more than narrow tires. Also, the considerably short Corvette sidewalls will by their very nature transmit more surface roughness than taller tires. This is completely normal for Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers and any other car using low profile wide tires.

The best way to be sure it is road crown and not alignment is take the car to a stretch of road you know causes the drift to the right. Wait for no traffic then drive the same stretch going in the same direction but in the left lane. If the car now pulls left it is almost certainly road crown not alignment. You might try this in a couple locations to rule out a road that is sloped only to one side. If it still pulls right the alignment is more likely the problem.

I have over 18000 miles on my Stingray and on occasion do notice the pull due to road crown. It is very minor and I generally think nothing of it. That said, our cars are more prone to misalignment due to hitting pot holes curbing a wheel, etc. Due to the tire width. If you've hit anything like that recently, an alignment is a good idea.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
john suntato

Drives: 2014 stingray
John Suntato

Thanks guys, I agree with all of you. I just hope a dealer where I didn't buy the car from will be friendly.
john suntato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by john suntato View Post
Thanks guys, I agree with all of you. I just hope a dealer where I didn't buy the car from will be friendly.
that's an old wives tale...most dealers now are chain corporations and you are spending money, most will love you no matter where you bought it, as you, or GM, are paying them.

and please in the future use the title for your question, not your name....thanks...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote