The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Up Next a Mid-Engine ZR1?

This should be interesting...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...e-mid-engined/

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
ALRIGHTY THEN, the new Chevy Fiero.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
I doubt there will ever be a Mid-Engine Corvette, be it a C7+ or C8. Too much investment and research on GMs part and highly doubt it would increase sales to the average consumer of Corvettes, not to mention future EPA requirements.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
TommySS

Drives: 2014 lt2 Laguna Blue
Where are my golf clubs going to go?
TommySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1259
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 1384
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 1389
Size:  41.6 KB
Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Why would GM spend the likely several hundred million to develop a mid engine chassis from scratch? And for a car that would likely sell less than 3500 units a year? Mid engine layouts work well now for Porsche, Ferarri and Lamborghini because they've been developing the layout for decades. How good do you think GM could possibly do on their very first attempt? Reasonably well, sure, but no where near what it would take to seriously compete in that rather small market.

GM has done spectacularly well with the C7. But does anyone really think they've wrung the absolute best performance possible out of the car already, only a year into production? I say NO. There is plenty more to come without taking a left turn down the dark mid engine path. I suspect we'll see performance gains every model year for the generation, enough to keep the competition sweating, and yet keep the prices at a bargain level (comparatively speaking). A mid engine Corvette would become one with Unobtainium just like the highest models from those listed above. I personally would rather see GM spend the development money on alternate fuel sources, such as a high performance hybrid electric.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
goldbug

Drives: 2014 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
1. Why would there be a long hood and hood "bulge" if there's no engine underneath (why obscure visibility for no reason)
2. This is a stingray concept from 2011.
goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
CodemanC7

Drives: Lexus ES300h
As a "newbie", gathering information, as to the C7 I will order, I could not agree more. Interestingly enough, the 'Tesla, Model S, is one of the few cars that come in a close second, to the C7. A 'Mid engine', C?, would be very intrigueing, but at what cost?? I will look forward to getting my C7 and just reading the great posts that occur here.
CodemanC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbug View Post
1. Why would there be a long hood and hood "bulge" if there's no engine underneath (why obscure visibility for no reason)
2. This is a stingray concept from 2011.
Just a pic from the magazines nothing more... Seems a few sites are talking this one up.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
New C7

Drives: 2014 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Why would GM spend the likely several hundred million to develop a mid engine chassis from scratch? And for a car that would likely sell less than 3500 units a year? Mid engine layouts work well now for Porsche, Ferarri and Lamborghini because they've been developing the layout for decades. How good do you think GM could possibly do on their very first attempt? Reasonably well, sure, but no where near what it would take to seriously compete in that rather small market.

GM has done spectacularly well with the C7. But does anyone really think they've wrung the absolute best performance possible out of the car already, only a year into production? I say NO. There is plenty more to come without taking a left turn down the dark mid engine path. I suspect we'll see performance gains every model year for the generation, enough to keep the competition sweating, and yet keep the prices at a bargain level (comparatively speaking). A mid engine Corvette would become one with Unobtainium just like the highest models from those listed above. I personally would rather see GM spend the development money on alternate fuel sources, such as a high performance hybrid electric.

Agree 100%.

I would add two points:

1) The prime advantage of mid-engine is balance weight front to back. As the current 'Vette has a 50/50 weight distribution, which to some is perfect, going to a mid-engine would move that to 40/60 or possibly more rear bias. I doubt it would improve handling very much. I doubt they could produce it on the current production line, so that would require a whole new one which is not cheap.

2) The last couple of years, the ZR1 only sold a few hundred per year. I doubt GM was impressed with so few sold if you consider the cost to provide marketing, post-sales support, and warranty. If they plan to sell 3500 which I would guess would be the absolute minimum to build a business case. They would have to price is in the $130,000 to $150,000 range. That is a tough range to compete with a Chevy and relatively low-tech drive train.
New C7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
Melor

Drives: Shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by New C7 View Post
Agree 100%.

I would add two points:

1) The prime advantage of mid-engine is balance weight front to back. As the current 'Vette has a 50/50 weight distribution, which to some is perfect, going to a mid-engine would move that to 40/60 or possibly more rear bias. I doubt it would improve handling very much. I doubt they could produce it on the current production line, so that would require a whole new one which is not cheap.

Just a quick point. 50/50 is nice, but the closer to the center ( front to rear ) the easier the car will turn. Imagine a pipe with a 5 lb weight on each end and turning it in your hands. Next imagine the same pipe with a 10 lb weight in the middle and turning it with your hands. Polar moment.

Paul
Melor is offline   Reply With Quote