The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Patch/plug run flats

At the dealership getting a new tire put on because I got a nail in the middle of the tread. I've got the wheel/tire warranty so no cost, just the pain of waiting over an hour at the dealership just to have a tire changed.

Anyone know for sure whether it's ok to patch a run flat? From my reading on the internet, it seems like the only danger is if youve driven the car with the tire flat. Mine never lost any pressure. I just happened to notice the nail. I'm thinking it would be fine since the sidewalls weren't compromised by having to support the car with no air. That's the reason I understand they say don't patch them.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Don't see why not as long as the foreign object isn't close to the edge of the tire.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Tire was $486! Crazy
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Per michelin docs you can plug/patch the tire once.....naturally dealers want you to buy a new tire....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Generally, you can patch a performance tire one time, as long as the patch is in the tread area. It is not recommended to plug a performance tire. Also, from what I've learned, a patched tire loses its speed rating - you shouldn't use a patched tire for track days, though it's ok for street use.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
WARP TEN

Drives: 95 ZR-1
Two days ago I had a nail in the center of a run flat on my wife's BMW. Went to a local tire dealer and they patched it for $40. Said they do it all the time. Have to do it from the inside, and they used a special inside patch that also has a plug on it. As Glen notes, Michelin's website describes how a run flat can be patched. If the damage is close to the edge the tire is toast, as it depends on the integrity of the sidewall for its run flat capability. I worked a number of years at a BMW dealer and they never patch run flats, less for the sale of a tire than for liability reasons. --Bob
1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" (FOR SALE)
--Haibeck 350/510hp package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
An interesting situation came up with the group from the Florida caravan going to the museum for the 20th anniversary. A C6 picked up a nail and started losing air so we stopped along the way and happened into a Kaufmann Tire store just off the interstate. They refused to plug the tire but would patch it for free. Manager said that it is their policy to fix/patch flats for free. They used a floor jack, took off the tire, dismounted it, patched it, remounted and balanced in under an hour. No Charge! The car owner gave the tech a $20.00 tip and we were back on the road. For those of you with a Kaufmann Tire store near you, something that maybe you did not know.