#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #29
Nimair.ZL1

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Correct but if the wrong length pushrods were used, it could have caused a valve to come in contact with the piston or were you saying that a piece of the actual head broke off? If so that would be Extremely rare and that would be a casting defect.
The head of the exhaust valve came off. Trying to post a pic but it’s asking me for a url
Nimair.ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:47 PM   #30
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimair.ZL1 View Post
The head of the exhaust valve came off. Trying to post a pic but it’s asking me for a url
Yea, that makes more sense and still leads me back to a shop install error. The stock valves shouldn't have broken like that unless the spring tension was too high on the valve springs or the wrong size pushrods were used causing the valve to come in contact with the piston. Since you're telling me the whole head of the valve come off, I'm inclined to believe the valve spring pressure was just too much. That being said, it is possible that you simply had a defective valve from the factory, but so many people run aftermarket cams in these cars with the stock valves without issues.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:59 PM   #31
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Yea, that makes more sense and still leads me back to a shop install error. The stock valves shouldn't have broken like that unless the spring tension was too high on the valve springs or the wrong size pushrods were used causing the valve to come in contact with the piston. Since you're telling me the whole head of the valve come off, I'm inclined to believe the valve spring pressure was just too much. That being said, it is possible that you simply had a defective valve from the factory, but so many people run aftermarket cams in these cars with the stock valves without issues.
If you’d like I can send you pictures over Facebook messenger. My name is Nimair Ghulamani. Add me on Facebook and shoot me a message. We can talk more on there
Old 09-18-2023, 08:25 PM   #32
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
does this mean that just the head and valve train needs to be replaced and the block is still good?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:04 PM   #33
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Here are Nimair's photos
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #34
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
does this mean that just the head and valve train needs to be replaced and the block is still good?
Means I’ll need a long block lol
Old 09-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #35
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Where did the coolant come from?
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:53 AM   #36
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Where did the coolant come from?
We are thinkng one of the intercooler bricks was leaking which caused this entire ordeal
Old 09-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #37
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Are you being led to believe this failure is because of a defective part…… I’m curious how many instances of leaking heat exchangers have been documented.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:54 PM   #38
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Are you being led to believe this failure is because of a defective part…… I’m curious how many instances of leaking heat exchangers have been documented.
Next to none that I'm aware of. All signs point to a shop error here since stock valves don't typically break and stock bricks don't typically leak, especially on an otherwise brand new 2023 ZL1. I feel like the shop is trying to place blame on a defective part rather than admit it could have been a mistake on their part so they won't feel obligated for any cost to repair.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #39
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Not saying it is but saying it is a possibility. Motor literally has 5k miles on it.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #40
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Seems like the most likely scenario is valvetrain lost control and valve smacked a piston. What do the springs, valve seats and retainers look like. If there was coolant leaking from the brick and it got into the combustion chamber, it would have taken a lot of water to break anything. You would have seen a bunch of white smoke before anything. Although, that could cause detonation and break a ring or mayyyyybbeee a piston. But if the piston isn't broken and its just a broken valve stem, I think it was valve train control related.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #41
Nimair.ZL1

Quote:
Seems like the most likely scenario is valvetrain lost control and valve smacked a piston. What do the springs, valve seats and retainers look like. If there was coolant leaking from the brick and it got into the combustion chamber, it would have taken a lot of water to break anything. You would have seen a bunch of white smoke before anything. Although, that could cause detonation and break a ring or mayyyyybbeee a piston. But if the piston isn't broken and its just a broken valve stem, I think it was valve train control related.
Piston and sleeve is pretty much done as far as I know. I think the valvetrain is still intact. I highly doubt it was the intercooler bricks but it could be a possibility that they leaked. I did see a shit ton of white smoke come out of my tail pipe. All the coolant drained pretty much instantly as far as I know. Before it blew it was full
Old 10-16-2023, 02:53 AM   #42
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
that would be my thinking. IMO there is no stock piece that can take a high lift cam and that would be valve seat, valves, pushrods, springs, retainers, rocker arm trunnions NADA. I went with a much lower lift cam with street ramp profiles, new solid valves from Manley, springs, retainers, Johnston lifters, each lifter was fitted with a custom length pushrod, rocker arm trunnion.

IMO no stock valve on a LT1 (LT4's Titanium intake probably can but out of my league) can take boost, high lift cam and E85 and racing, they were NOT made for the heat load. I'd look at Manley Inconel exhaust valve and a quality solid intake valve...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote