Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
RHD Camaro Possibility

Anyone see this? Search was broke on the forum so can't tell if it got posted already. Looks like they will be watching Ford's sales in the U.K. and Austraila closely.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/03/...consideration/

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I saw it earlier today on that same forum and it would make for a good business sense for all the right hand drive markets plus added production for the factory.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
There are only a few right hand drive markets. England and Australia along with SA, India and Japan. India is far too poor to be driving many Camaros, Japan has very highly regulated taxation for imports. Australia and England are really tiny markets, and England will tax the crap out of engine displacement. I think Ford pre sold 4,000 Mustangs for Australia.

So there isn't really a great business case here. The only hope is the ability to develop the RHD car (you would be shocked at the differences between LH and RHD) and certify it for those markets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it. I just would be surprised if we did. GM would have wanted/needed to make the ATS/CTS RHD well before the Camaro and has thus far not done that.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There are only a few right hand drive markets. England and Australia along with SA, India and Japan. India is far too poor to be driving many Camaros, Japan has very highly regulated taxation for imports. Australia and England are really tiny markets, and England will tax the crap out of engine displacement. I think Ford pre sold 4,000 Mustangs for Australia.

So there isn't really a great business case here. The only hope is the ability to develop the RHD car (you would be shocked at the differences between LH and RHD) and certify it for those markets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it. I just would be surprised if we did. GM would have wanted/needed to make the ATS/CTS RHD well before the Camaro and has thus far not done that.
There are a few more than you thought , add to the list below Mozambique , and a few others in the area

But you are right , most of those countries don't even know what's a CAMARO
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
There are a few more than you thought , add to the list below Mozambique , and a few others in the area

But you are right , most of those countries don't even know what's a CAMARO
I knew there were more, I was simply mentioning the ones that had a remotely sized automobile market.

Malta and Cypress are not likely to be a hot bed for Camaro sales.

Not likely enough volume to make it worth while, but it seems to have motivated Ford, so there is always a chance.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Exactly what Al said. He's not convinced there will be 2nd year sales for the GT in those markets. So the question becomes how well the Ecoboost does there in year 2. Australia really might be the surprise here. Aussies love their V8 RWDs almost as much as us. Really hope his comments about an SS replacement pan out. I would love one with an LT1, upgraded cluster, and 8 or 10 speed auto.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Exactly what Al said. He's not convinced there will be 2nd year sales for the GT in those markets. So the question becomes how well the Ecoboost does there in year 2. Australia really might be the surprise here. Aussies love their V8 RWDs almost as much as us. Really hope his comments about an SS replacement pan out. I would love one with an LT1, upgraded cluster, and 8 or 10 speed auto.
I think Zeta is dead, but who knows.

I'd love to see the Impala go to RWD on Alpha for its NG, then it would be much more affordable to have an LT1 powered SS off of that.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
Think of the possibilities for U.S. Mail carriers that use their own vehicle.

RHD Jeep Wrangler or RHD Camaro (for Express and Priority service)
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
Camaro6.com.au

Drives: 2 x 2016 2SS Camaros & 2015 Camaro
RHD Camaro

We are doing the RHD 2016 Camaro project here in Australia right now. I started a thread elsewhere on them in RHD, looking for our Summer finalisation of the first two we bought (USA Winter time) to RHD format.
Huge undertaking, as the older GEN 5 Camaro's were based on the Zeta platform, just like our RHD Holden Commodore's (Chevy SS/Pontiac G8) made here.
But as you know, these are Alpha platform, no RHD Alpha platforms by GM, hence our big undertaking!
Camaro6.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
Quinny

Drives: 2014 HSV R8SV
Good luck mate, I may have to sell my HSV and come and see you if GM don't go RHD.
I'll be following your thread! Now get after it
Quinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
Chafford1

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Demand for the rhd V8 GT Mustang is high in the UK at present but it remains to be seen whether this will be sustained over the medium term. Unlike Australia, GM is able to sell Corvette and Camaro here in lhd form but this of course severely restricts sales of these models. A single official GM dealer for US imports in the UK also doesn't help!
Chafford1 is offline   Reply With Quote