#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #295
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
What I find interesting is that all three high performance cars, the 1LE, ZL1 and this possible Z28 are using the large single "suitcase" muffler system. None of them are using the dual muffler system from the GM Performance Parts. Is this single muffler system from the SS Camaro really better than the dual mufflers from the performance parts bin?
Probably has a lot to do with the airflow underneath the car, I'm sure there is a good reason they are using it.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #296
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
What I find interesting is that all three high performance cars, the 1LE, ZL1 and this possible Z28 are using the large single "suitcase" muffler system. None of them are using the dual muffler system from the GM Performance Parts. Is this single muffler system from the SS Camaro really better than the dual mufflers from the performance parts bin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Probably has a lot to do with the airflow underneath the car, I'm sure there is a good reason they are using it.
That would be my guess as well... those suitcases are covering quite the pocket under the rear of the car and I'm guessing this is their version of a rear diffuser.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #297
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
That, and I imagine that due to the size, it allows for more quieting without hindering the flow of air.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #298
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I'm sure this has been asked, but does anyone know what the little intake ducts in the camo would be fore above the fenders? At first I was thinking a place for high pressure to vent like the ACR Viper has but I don't think that would work with this camo setup so now I'm thinking some sort of cooling?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #299
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
You guys might be right about the large single muffler being a part of the aero package. But if this is the case why would anyone pay a $1000 for the GM Perfomance Mufflers and lose aero and horsepower?

I also think that the camo covering the rear spoiler is greatly exaggerated. A spoiler that tall would block too much of the rear vision.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #300
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
You guys might be right about the large single muffler being a part of the aero package. But if this is the case why would anyone pay a $1000 for the GM Perfomance Mufflers and lose aero and horsepower?

I also think that the camo covering the rear spoiler is greatly exaggerated. A spoiler that tall would block too much of the rear vision.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #301
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
For the same reason some people pay triple price for a shirt that says "Tommy Hilfiger" on it.

Quote:
I dunno...I think you're right, but if they want to make this a track car...they may not care!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #302
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:

i was thinking the same thing. The whole reason for all of the padding is to hide whats underneath. Theyre not going to make it hug whats there or there wouldn't be any point. Its all there to throw us off.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #303
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I don't think it's over exaggerated. Look at the padding on the ZL1 prototypes. It pretty closely matches the spoiler on the car.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #304
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't think it's over exaggerated. Look at the padding on the ZL1 prototypes. It pretty closely matches the spoiler on the car.
The spoilers on Nascars are not that big and they run 200 mph for hours while only making left turns. My feeling is this mule is testing engine and suspension and not aero. Chevy knows how sensitive we are about spoiler shape, wing vs interagal. I think they are hiding the true shape till later. Just an old farts opinion!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #305
OldJedi
Use the Force

Mr. Wyndham: For the same reason some people pay triple price for a shirt that says "Tommy Hilfiger" on it.

I can't argue with that
Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #306
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
This car must be the rumored wide body car and this car will be made to decimate others on a road coarse. Larger tires all around for sure that are shown be on the 5thgen car's wheels which means 19" for sure.

Chevy has laid the ground work with the previous gen car so this will be a big step forward and not a step back in the wrong direction. 1LE is the volume every day track day car for the masses, the Z/28 is our GT3 spec track day weapon halo car for the few discerning track rats who want an all out reliable consistent lap car and not a cruiser. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with a big rear spoiler if it's needed to make it handle better and not just for looks.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 04-01-2016 at 05:17 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #307
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
[QUOTE=OldJedi;9004363]You guys might be right about the large single muffler being a part of the aero package. But if this is the case why would anyone pay a $1000 for the GM Perfomance Mufflers and lose aero and horsepower?

I also think that the camo covering the rear spoiler is greatly exaggerated. A spoiler that tall would ((((((((block too much of the rear vision)))))))))

Why would one be worried about loosing REA VISION !?
Unless off course you are interested in seeing the front end of any ford wayyyyyy back there !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #308
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I think the real reason for using the same suitcase exhaust is to help keep cost down.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote