The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Vic

Drives: Viper GTS
C7 ZR1 vs Viper GTS

Motor Trend says that SRTs' parent company, Fiat, doesn't want to allow SRT to produce more power from the Vipers' V10, than the F12 Berlinettas' 712 hp. (The Gen5 does seem to be suspiciously rated at 640, just two more than the C6 ZR1, what a coincidence!) It is said to be easy enough with the Vipers' massive motor to equal or exceed 700 hp, but that would upstage the halo brand of Ferrari. (My 2001 V10 is smaller than the current version, and I got nearly 690 crank hp, and it still passes smog, so 700 hp or more should be doable, with the increased displacement of the newer motor, and varaible valve timing)

In the Viper nation, we were proud that we could beat most Ferraris, (such as the ACRs' 7:12 on the Nurburgring, vs the 458 Italias' 7:28, and the Enzos' 7:22) There was even a popular license plate frame that said "Ferraris for lunch.....")

Now it seems that Viper has to play second fiddle to Ferrari, and "let the boss win", like sandbagging during a foot race at the company picnic, so you won't get fired. Sure, on the surface, they can deny it's a factor, but it's there all the same as an unspoken undercurrent. Looks like the Viper has its' "hands tied". No wonder the new GTS didn't absolutely kick azs in recent tests against the ZR1. It wasn't positioned in the market to do so, rather saving higher performance variants for later in the cycle. The ACR may not carry all that much more power, instead relying on suspension tweaks, to at least equal the Gen4 ACR, but even that is probably too much for Ferrari. They will win at any cost, even if they get the last race at Monza de-sanctioned, like they did in 1964, to avoid losing the championship to the Cobra Daytona coupe, or even if it means blocking La Rascasse during F1 2006 quali to lock up the pole at Monaco, sending ringers for testing, etc, etc. It is beneath an American icon to be subserviant to such scandalous rivals.

So my point is this- So far, Chevrolet is still an All-American company, of this great and sovereign nation, and need not cow-tow to any foreign bodies, governments, or business interests. We should seek to win, not just "equal" Ferrari. Like in 1966, when the GT40 won Le Mans, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, ahead of Ferrari. Chevy should seek to win, dominate, if they can. Don't aim for 2nd place!

The ZR1 would really rock the status quo, if they could beat the F12 Berlinettas' 712 hp.

C'mon, ZR1! We need someone to carry the Stars and Stripes!

Note- I admire foreign cars, inlcuding Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Aston, etc. But I always root for the home team!
Not a hater at all, just a motivated home-town patriot.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ast-one-page-4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Monaco_Grand_Prix

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It'll probably hit around 700 HP.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
BWF07

Drives: 2007 Corvette Coupe
And who said there would be a ZR1 in the C7 generation. Sure GM has to develop a high performance model. but no one knows what it will be badged as or even when it will come out.

As far as beating the Ferrari, the days of the old Le Mans are done, but Corvette Racing seems to be doing a good job of carrying the Stars & Stripes pretty well over the past 12 years or so.

Lets face it the horsepower race that seems to be going on, don't transfer to the track. Well at least in the sports car arena. the SRT Viper in ALMS id not anywhere close to rated HP of the street car.

Here is a bit from and interview from Road & track with Tadge Jueshter on the rising HP of the modern car.

"As for that ever-rising tide of horsepower, we asked Juechter whether many sports cars, including Corvettes, are approaching the limits of usable force.

"I wish we could call a global conference and end the horsepower war," he says, "but I don't see that happening." A few true believers, he agrees, will prefer the light and lightly powered approach of a Lotus, but most buyers still want bragging rights.

Lets also face it, where can you use the the HP in the Viper, the ZR1, the 458 or F12 Ferrari or any of the super cars. Unless you track your car, you won't use it . In fact I would say the vast majority of the owners never come close to using the car to it full potential, but at the local car show or cruise-in they can sit around and brag about all the HP they have under the hood.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Vic

Drives: Viper GTS
It's been said around the net that there will be Z06 and ZR1 variants. And you know everything you read on the internet is true, and reliable...

Quote:
Corvette Racing seems to be doing a good job of carrying the Stars & Stripes pretty well over the past 12 years or so.
Absolutely! And with Viper's hands tied by their Italian bosses, this is a golden opportunity for Chevy to make a bid for sports car supremacy! If for no other reason, than to draw attention and recognition to Chevy and GM. That will make a business case, as a halo sales draw.

You're right, top speed is almost worthless, except as a bragging right. Carrol Shelby said what a guy needs is not top speed, but a car that gets up to 100 quick, and back down just as fast. I use my 585/590 rwhp/tq well under 100, or even just from 0-60. Someone is always trying to beat me, in various cars that they think are fast. I enjoy the competition!

Yep, it's illegal, immoral, life-shortening, dangerous, idiotic, irresponsible, yet, somehow, speed is addictive and fun. You can't deny power is pure fun, right?

I'm actually pretty self-controlled most of the time, and don't give F150s and Mitsubishi Eclipses the races they seem to want. Just the cars that have a chance. And never in traffic.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The ACR was a tunable car the new one is not. its not like it ran 7:12 without tweaking the setup.

Unless they go back to that kind of setup they will take a backseat to the corvette's mag ride.

once you can tweak aero and dampening like on the ACR though it is hard to compete with that on a car where you have no tweaking to do.

I think it will really depend on what GM's goal for the new top end vette is. Do they want easier to drive ZR1 performance or do they just want sheer speed.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote