Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
I had my Challenger stripes painted gloss black - after the first polish the paint was a little thin on the nose where it comes to a point and I now have a zit - a small but noticeable blemish.
I painted the stripe because I wanted to be able to polish without having to mask off
the vinyl like I did on my '10 SS. I paid $1600 for Hood Stripe, slash stripes and spoiler.

I have buyers remorse and would opt for vinyl stripes now.

Lots of luck sorting through all these opinions and coming up with your own decision.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
restylerschoice

Drives: 2013 Shelby GT500
We are a company that makes a majority of the vinyl stripe kits you see others reselling. We are working on launching our own retail platform. All our kits are guaranteed fit. There is absolutely no reason you should pay $4k for a paint job when vinyl looks so great.

http://www.graphicsmartonline.com/bumble-bee/
restylerschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
If given a choice, I'd go painted vs. vinyl any day (note: mine are vinyl, as that is how the car came). $4000 is a bit steep... shop around. That said, a high end paint job can cost a lot; you often do get what you pay for. Even so, I would not spend 4 grand on having stripes painted. Well... maybe on one of my classics. Maybe.
(then again, my paint gal is one of the best in the country and her pricing would be far under that)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Synner

Drives: cars
It seems ppl fail to realize that hood/trunk/side stripes touch every panel of the car so it IS a full car re-paint due to stripes plus re-clearing every panel on the car. That won't be cheap and lowest price is not what I'd base a painter selection on.

I would just do vinyl. Or do painted on hood/trunk and leave it at that.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by restylerschoice View Post
We are a company that makes a majority of the vinyl stripe kits you see others reselling. We are working on launching our own retail platform. All our kits are guaranteed fit. There is absolutely no reason you should pay $4k for a paint job when vinyl looks so great.

http://www.graphicsmartonline.com/bumble-bee/
Only 2 kits for 2014... tsk tsk
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:26 AM   #20
wonton

Drives: 2014 Camaro (Yellow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
$4000 should get you high end ghost stripes with accents and pinstriping. How do you like the new 2014 Bright Yellow? I LOVE IT!!!
OMG i love it, everyone turns their heads to look. Even other camaro drivers. I will never own another car. I cant believe it took me this long to get a chevy.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #21
wonton

Thank you everyone for your input, now I am thinking vinyl is what I should start with. But I get my car waxed monthly, so how would this be affected by vinyl?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #22
DRKKNGT

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Congrats on your new car :-)
I just added vinyl hood stripes to mine from big worm graphix. They cost around $65.00 and look amazing. They sent me free samples so I could compare the colors first. They have a variety of colors. I like the stripes I added and the cost. If I get tired of them, I'll peel them off or change the color. It is a lot cheaper than $4,000. ( Btw- they look just like they were painted on).
DRKKNGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #23
wonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKKNGT View Post
Congrats on your new car :-)
I just added vinyl hood stripes to mine from big worm graphix. They cost around $65.00 and look amazing. They sent me free samples so I could compare the colors first. They have a variety of colors. I like the stripes I added and the cost. If I get tired of them, I'll peel them off or change the color. It is a lot cheaper than $4,000. ( Btw- they look just like they were painted on).
Actually that is one place I was checking out their vinyl stripes. I am glad you said the quality is good. I think I will do the carbon fiber one with my yellow camaro. Thank you
Old 08-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #24
Daltronic

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
I had vinyl on my old car was a pontiac wave but thats not the point had it on that car for 4 years drove it year round winter summer gravel roads and it still looked like they were painted on when I sold it no peeling or discolouration so vinyl is the way to go for sure thinking of doing same to my camaro and best part of vinyl can always remove it if get sick of it or want to try something else
Daltronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #25
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
Great quality for vinyl. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Big Worm Graphix is the way I'd go. Great selections too
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #26
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
Thank you everyone for your input, now I am thinking vinyl is what I should start with. But I get my car waxed monthly, so how would this be affected by vinyl?
If you get matte Vinyl you will want to avoid waxing them. You can tape them off with painters tape and it will help.
You can however wax right over Gloss vinyl stripes.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
NeedSpeed

Drives: New Camaro
Love the paint just got mine back from paint a few days ago! Should run around $1100. The guy that did mine made them look like GLASS and painted the fool roof black
Attached Images

NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
NeedSpeed

Drives: New Camaro
One more
Attached Images

NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote