The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #43
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The car not looking good is YOUR opinion.
I never understood why people have to state the obvious. When someone states something, like "the car doesn't look good" - by virtue of the fact that they stated it, defines it as "his opinion".

Why do people feel the need to say "that's just your opinion?" Duh - what else would it be? It is in fact a truism from the perspective of his opinion.

The only time it would be wrong would be if he stated "EVERYONE thinks it doesn't look good" - which is of course an opinion that is untrue.

"I have a device in my pocket that can access the entirety of knowledge known to man.
I use it to look at pictures of cars and have arguments with strangers."
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Alot of people on here seem to see the point that there is either bad judges which no one can fix, lack of communication, can be fix, and poor score sheets. One thing on here that we can change. Why not have a thread that looks into showing more of what a good score sheet should be what should and should not be involved in. It would be a start to show people what to look for. Because you cant judge a stock car like a modified car and cant use the same score sheet to do the same.
I would be a base for members here to grow what there shows do any expand so people will enjoy the show. Plus who cares if people look at the sheet and display there car to get the most points, it might make some people realize on where they need to work on there car to make it better and grow.
There is a thread explaining how points are awarded at shows somewhere on here if you do a search.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #45
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Life's not fair...

you didn't get the promotion because the boss promoted his nephew to keep the wife happy......

You really wanted to get in a class, but because the administrator you got decided they needed to talk on the phone, the guy who came up to the administrator at the next window after you got the last seat.....

Theres loads and loads of things that happen, whether they really happen or are just perceived in a self viewed universe, doesn't matter, they are things beyond your direct control.....get over them, and yourself....

You had some judges who were biased so you didn't get a trophy to add to your 6 dozen others you have? Get over it, that's life...people are biased.

Spend about half the time you are on here complaining about the trophies in your opinion you got cheated out of, and I stress your opinion, and start sitting back and appreciating the ones you got and the ones your probably going to get in the future.....The sore loser attitude is so annoying.....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Life's not fair...

you didn't get the promotion because the boss promoted his nephew to keep the wife happy......

You really wanted to get in a class, but because the administrator you got decided they needed to talk on the phone, the guy who came up to the administrator at the next window after you got the last seat.....

Theres loads and loads of things that happen, whether they really happen or are just perceived in a self viewed universe, doesn't matter, they are things beyond your direct control.....get over them, and yourself....

You had some judges who were biased so you didn't get a trophy to add to your 6 dozen others you have? Get over it, that's life...people are biased.

Spend about half the time you are on here complaining about the trophies in your opinion you got cheated out of, and I stress your opinion, and start sitting back and appreciating the ones you got and the ones your probably going to get in the future.....The sore loser attitude is so annoying.....
Seriously do people not read the posts or do they just skim them and pick up what they want to get out of it. Like I have said countless times on here Im not bitching about me not winning another award. It is more about the fact that if you have a show geared toward one aspect of a car and do not tell people that and take there money, that is no better then stealing from them. I get after the fact when awards where given away that the show was geared for v8 muscle cars. If I would of known that would I of entered, no I would of taken my family car instead of putting 2 kids in the back of the camaro and just went to look at the cars. So since everyone in my class that had a v6 had no chance of winning before the cars where judged, that is just taking there money.

#280 MASTER MECP Certified
MECP - Sales, Basic and Advance Certified
ASE - 6 electrical certified
10+ years car audio installation, sales and manager
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #47
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
I never understood why people have to state the obvious. When someone states something, like "the car doesn't look good" - by virtue of the fact that they stated it, defines it as "his opinion".

Why do people feel the need to say "that's just your opinion?" Duh - what else would it be? It is in fact a truism from the perspective of his opinion.

The only time it would be wrong would be if he stated "EVERYONE thinks it doesn't look good" - which is of course an opinion that is untrue.
Of course I know its his opinion.

So whats the problem with me or anyone else responding...giving my own opinion? Look at it this way...a response saying "well thats your opinion" could be replaced with the sentence "I think it looks good" or "others may think it looks good". Its the same thing. If I had said it that way, would you have cared? No. But instead I said "thats your opinion" and you start complaining.

Geez, sorry to erk your bad side.

A huge portion of discussion or argument on this site is based on opinion. So with your logic above, I guess if someone says "In my opinion.....blah blah blah" that must bug you because of course we know its their opinion. Why should we even take the time to state it?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Of course I know its his opinion.

So whats the problem with me or anyone else responding...giving my own opinion? Look at it this way...a response saying "well thats your opinion" could be replaced with the sentence "I think it looks good" or "others may think it looks good". Its the same thing. If I had said it that way, would you have cared? No. But instead I said "thats your opinion" and you start complaining.

Geez, sorry to erk your bad side.

A huge portion of discussion or argument on this site is based on opinion. So with your logic above, I guess if someone says "In my opinion.....blah blah blah" that must bug you because of course we know its their opinion. Why should we even take the time to state it?
1. Yes. I think it IS idiotic to state "in my opinion.. blah blah" because it is redundant. But it is unfortunate that people seem to have to use it because the vast majority of the population are too stupid to differentiate opinions from facts. Which is a fact.

Because the "in my opinion.." is a redundant statement used to compensate for the stupidity of the majority of people, then I wouldn't complain about it, except to remark that it is a sad reflection of society. I use a variant of "in my opinion.." by saying "I think..." instead of "It is.." to differentiate opinion from fact in the work place, but on forums I use "in my opinion" because there are so many people on forums who will retort by saying "that's just your opinion.." and I'd rather avoid the headache.

2. The "that's just YOUR opinion" is more annoying, because it's rude and dismissive. It's like me saying, "yeah but you've only got a high school education" or "yeah but you're an immigrant". It's an irrelevant statement used to dismiss the validity of one's opinion.

3. In other words, you just saying "I disagree, I think the car looks fab" is perfect and good enough. By adding the "That's just your opinion.. blah blah" I think is rude. Of course it is his opinion. Let him state his opinion without dismissal, and you state your opinion and we are all happy.

"I have a device in my pocket that can access the entirety of knowledge known to man.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
rez333

Quote:
Seriously do people not read the posts or do they just skim them and pick up what they want to get out of it. Like I have said countless times on here Im not bitching about me not winning another award. It is more about the fact that if you have a show geared toward one aspect of a car and do not tell people that and take there money, that is no better then stealing from them. I get after the fact when awards where given away that the show was geared for v8 muscle cars. If I would of known that would I of entered, no I would of taken my family car instead of putting 2 kids in the back of the camaro and just went to look at the cars. So since everyone in my class that had a v6 had no chance of winning before the cars where judged, that is just taking there money.
I get you. I've been cheated out of awards because the winner was friends with the judges, and it feels rotten. But you see this everywhere. In the work place, you've heard it said "it's not what you know, it's who you know". How fair is it that the incompetent friend/relative gets a job rather than the better man? What are you going to do? Fight fire with fire - learn to network yourself and be the one everyone knows.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
BS, this whole thread is about complaining about not getting awards because of biased judges....I mean just because someone says "not to complain" doesn't mean that's not exactly what they are doing...might as well add bless their hearts......

you entered a contest, you think you should of won the award, but the totally biased judges wrongfully gave it to someone else....you are definitely complaining.....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #51
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
But if you are talking about horse power and speed a new 10+ v6 stock will crush any stock pre 2010 v8 that is a na car.
/thread

Your V6 is a monster. Crushing every V8 that came before it.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #52
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
You should go to car shows with the intention of letting other people see what you have created for your own ride. This attitude will let you enjoy the show because some people will enjoy your car and some people will totally ignore it because it's not old or a classic. At the end of the day you can walk away proud of what you have, if you get a trophy that just a plus and if you don't get a trophy so be it.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #53
GREENSTEVE

Drives: 2011 Camaro - 2014 Corvette
Car Shows..... Same old people , with the same old cars , who win the same old trophies. Same old car clubs , who vote for the same old club cars ,who win the same old trophies .
GREENSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #54
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I do two car shows a year, one is for a veterans home and one is the Labor Fest show. The veterans home is always judged by the residents, and a 195x car always wins. The Laborfest isn't judged, but it gives me a place up front to park. My brother-in-law does tons of shows, and he finds the winner is almost always a local.