The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #1261
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Does anyone know any iformation on M1 Garands?

I recently bought one and found out it is a WIN 13.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1262
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Buy quality it lasts (eotech, aimpoint) buy cheap and good luck....
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1263
BOOGIE

Drives: Camaro Vert & Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNdew View Post
ecotech ill take a look at them. has anyone every used vortex.ive read some good reviews for the price
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...efire_red_dots
I have one on the way it will be here friday. Heard good things about them for the money

BOOGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #1264
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Does anyone know any iformation on M1 Garands?

I recently bought one and found out it is a WIN 13.
I have only fired one. It is heavy but accurate as anything I have fired with iron sights.

How about a pic of the rifle and your right thumb
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #1265
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I have only fired one. It is heavy but accurate as anything I have fired with iron sights.

How about a pic of the rifle and your right thumb
Yeah I need to get some pics.....I did find some information over the net. The markings are all original, it is a WIN 13 rifle and it does not look wore out. We have a local CMP where I live and I am going Saturday to let them check it out.

The lady who sold it to me actually had 2 and my friend bought the other one and had it checked my CMP.....They staff at CMP offered him 2000.00 for his and told him not to shoot it since it was a very rare weapon, was 99% original and that it came with everything like bayonette, cleaning gear etc.....

From best I can tell on my rifle all the number on the internal parts are the same based on the numbers being the same....But would really like to get an expert to look at it ...just don't know any, LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #1266
Southern Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Yeah I need to get some pics.....I did find some information over the net. The markings are all original, it is a WIN 13 rifle and it does not look wore out. We have a local CMP where I live and I am going Saturday to let them check it out.

The lady who sold it to me actually had 2 and my friend bought the other one and had it checked my CMP.....They staff at CMP offered him 2000.00 for his and told him not to shoot it since it was a very rare weapon, was 99% original and that it came with everything like bayonette, cleaning gear etc.....

From best I can tell on my rifle all the number on the internal parts are the same based on the numbers being the same....But would really like to get an expert to look at it ...just don't know any, LOL
I wouldnt know how to value something like that. Sounds like you could make some easy money from it. Check http://www.m1garand.com/
they handle collectable grade Garands.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #1267
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
I wouldnt know how to value something like that. Sounds like you could make some easy money from it. Check http://www.m1garand.com/
they handle collectable grade Garands.
Thanks...I will check it out.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #1268
2010SS2SS

Big thing with Garands is IF its all original! Your near the CMP Store in Annitson?
If you hit it on the weekend, there are ALOT of old timers in the store that will tell
you everything about them. I was lucky enough to grab a Springfield that one of them recommended because it was all nmbers matching, only draw back was that they had put on a new stock. I would rather have a dinged up old one with proof marks.
Garand is a great weapon with ALOT of history! Like Patton said " it is the weapon that won the war!".
Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #1269
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Big thing with Garands is IF its all original! Your near the CMP Store in Annitson?
If you hit it on the weekend, there are ALOT of old timers in the store that will tell
you everything about them. I was lucky enough to grab a Springfield that one of them recommended because it was all nmbers matching, only draw back was that they had put on a new stock. I would rather have a dinged up old one with proof marks.
Garand is a great weapon with ALOT of history! Like Patton said " it is the weapon that won the war!".
Yeah Anniston is 10 minutes away...... The one my friend took in they wanted to but immediately for 2000.00 because of the originality of the weapon. They checked his out and said all the main parts were original except Butt Plate and few othe external items.

Mine has a few dings on the stock but I know it is original. I took it apart and noticed that all the internal part numbers matched but really don't know what all that means. I do know it is a Winchester Repeating Arms weapons commonly know as a WIN13.

The lady who had it received it from her Dad years ago when employees of the Anniston Army Depot were allowed to but these weapons...they were only allowed to buy 2, so he bought each of his children 1....All these years later she decided to get rid of them

I checked the engravings on the stock and they are correct. The CMP folks told my friend his was 99 % original and it was a collectors item and is the reason I am taking mine Saturday.

I really don't think the one I have has been used much, I do not see alot of wear on the metal parts, it still has that gray/green finish on the metal parts. I even received some rounds in the clips when I got this rifle...some are black tipped, some are full metal jacket and some are soft points.

I had always wanted a M1 Garand since I am a former Marine and the History of the M1...as you quoted Patton..." The weapon that won the war"

This one just kinda fell in my lap.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #1270
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
What are y'all thoughts, are .22s worth getting?
I'm guessing yes because of the cost of ammo. But still got to ask since I'm considering buying a second firearm soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #1271
2010SS2SS

Actual quote was something like "most important battle implement ever invented" or something close. Got to remember at this time the Germans were using a K98 and the Japs were shooting Nambu's or whatever the hell they were. Put boys in superior firepower position. I have two from CMP! My parents live in Cartersville, Ga., Took my Dad over and bought us each one! He passed away two yrs ago and don't have the heart to sell it....just remember the look on his face when i handed it to him
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #1272
Southern Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigachip View Post
What are y'all thoughts, are .22s worth getting?
I'm guessing yes because of the cost of ammo. But still got to ask since I'm considering buying a second firearm soon.
Yes and no.
Great for learning the basics. Very important for anyone that is not yet comfortable firing a handgun. Many 22s are too unreliable for self defense.
As for CC, how many rounds a week do you plan to shoot?
I find 9mm the cheapest mid size and best after 22 becomes boring.

btw, I shoot weekly and pistols range everything 22 to SW500. I carry 9mm, 40 and occasionally 45.

Where do you fall in the spectrum of "this is my first pistol" to "I shoot everything"?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #1273
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

This .22 isn't that bad if you ask me.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #1274
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Yes and no.
Great for learning the basics. Very important for anyone that is not yet comfortable firing a handgun. Many 22s are too unreliable for self defense.
As for CC, how many rounds a week do you plan to shoot?
I find 9mm the cheapest mid size and best after 22 becomes boring.

btw, I shoot weekly and pistols range everything 22 to SW500. I carry 9mm, 40 and occasionally 45.

Where do you fall in the spectrum of "this is my first pistol" to "I shoot everything"?
Well it'll be my first pistol. I recently bought a rifle though.

Tags
camaro gun