Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 AM   #15
Seanskny

Drives: 2011 2SS RS delivered 6-22-10
ZL1 is a must

With all the recent talk about the fabled SS or Stingray supervette, wouldn't it be obvious that with increased vette hp it would mean increased camaro hp? At 45k or so, GM wouldn't sell to many of the so called target group (20 somethings), but me being a 30 something, I would jump at the chance to have an early mid-life crisis.
Seanskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:03 AM   #16
Seanskny

Gotta love that Berger Chevrolet is 45 minutes from my front door! Build it and they will not only come but flock to the showroom.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanskny
Gotta love that Berger Chevrolet is 45 minutes from my front door! Build it and they will not only come but flock to the showroom.
Yeah, Berger is about 45 minutes away from my front door too. I would like to see what they come up with next. I don't know if it will be worth it though. The Gen 4's they hopped up were over priced for the mods they installed; could have done that in my driveway for a lot less... Shoot, for the that kind of money I could have found a lot more horse power too...
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #18
Seanskny

Yes but, w/ the Berger name and additions you are looking at a one of a kind. I purchaced my last Camaro in Wayland, only 15 minutes fom Berger and I kick myself everytime I start the car and think what it could have been. Ofcourse I was 25 and really could have cared less at that point, was just looking at a B-day present for myself.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #19
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Name:  0104200512265703.jpg
Views: 16773
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  0104200512270543.jpg
Views: 8177
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  0104200512271099.jpg
Views: 8083
Size:  34.3 KB
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

New Corvette Engine Shatters Previous OHV RPM Limits
Text & photos courtesy General Motors Corporation

500 Horsepower and 7100 RPM
GM engineers have achieved a feat many speculated was not possible. The new LS7 7.0-liter OHV (overhead valve) V-8 engine for the 2006 ZO6 Corvette will not only achieve 500 horsepower but will be capable of running up to 7100 rpm. The previous limit was 6600 rpm in the 6.0-liter LS2.
With this new engine GM is showing multi-valve overhead cam performance is achievable with a two-valve cam-in-block engine. For the new ZO6, higher rpm allows the driver to remain in first gear to just over 60 mph, contributes to higher top speed and improves overall vehicle performance. The LS7 is one of the first automotive OHV production engines in the industry capable of over 7000 rpm.

The new ZO6's sub four-second 0-60 mph time is achieved in part by the extended rpm range and the ability to remain in first gear past 60 mph. The over-190 top speed of the ZO6 is partially due to the speed capability of the engine. As aerodynamic drag becomes a factor at higher speeds, the capability to run higher rpm allows the transmission to be run in a lower gear generating more effective torque at the rear wheels. Also, having the ability to shift all gears at higher speeds improves elapsed times whether on a road course or drag strip.

"For a production engine to run at this high of an rpm blurs the lines even more between OHV and OHC (overhead cam) design," said Dave Muscaro, assistant chief engineer for small block engines. "We took a complete systems approach to achieve the high rpm. We have a tight valvetrain design along with some race-inspired materials for the reciprocating components like titanium intake valves and connecting rods."

OHV engines use pushrods to activate the valves via rocker arms, whereas with OHC engines the valves are typically actuated directly via finger followers. The extra mechanical movement and weight of the components of an OHV valvetrain present challenges to higher rpm. The LS7 design and use of lightweight, stiff components, along with GM's economy of scale, make higher rpm obtainable in a production OHV engine.

"The new LS7 cylinder head gave us the opportunity to design a new high-revving valvetrain," said Jim Hicks, LS7 valvetrain design engineer. "The new valvetrain had to be as stiff and light as possible to assist meeting the engine's aggressive performance targets without compromising idle quality and low emissions. Stiffness is increased with larger diameter pushrods and rocker arms optimized through extensive finite element analysis."

The LS7's 1.8:1 rocker arm ratio and titanium intake valves contribute to a lower effective mass (compared to the LS2 base Corvette engine) in spite of larger and stiffer valvetrain hardware. Idle quality and emissions performance is achieved with the help of a more aggressive cam that provides more lift and duration while still keeping overlap area to a minimum.

"We consulted with our Motorsports group on numerous design aspects of the cylinder head design, said Hicks. "We adopted some of the latest ideas that have been successful in the Nextel Cup and the American Le Mans Series including valve centerline positions, valve angles, valve sizes and rocker arm ratio."

Due to the relatively large bore and stroke (104.8 x 101.6mm) of the LS7, light weight pistons, piston pins, titanium rods and a steel crankshaft are also used to achieve extended rpm. The flat top pistons with race-ready valve reliefs are 482 grams each and use a shortened lightweight piston pin. Each forged titanium rod weighs only 464 grams which is almost 30 percent less than each rod in the LS2. The forged steel crankshaft is stronger, stiffer and designed to handle high-speed loads.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #21
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

The LS7’s specifications include:

Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
Forged steel main bearing caps
Forged steel crankshaft
Titanium connecting rods with 101.6-mm stroke
Forged aluminum flat-top pistons
11.0:1 compression
Dry-sump oiling system
Camshaft with .591-inch lift
Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
Titanium pushrods and valve springs
Low-restriction air intake system
Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique “quad flow” collector flanges.
“In many ways, the LS7 is a racing engine in a street car,” said Dave Muscaro, assistant chief engineer of small-block V-8 for passenger cars. “We’ve taken much of what we’ve learned over the years from the 7.0-liter C5-R racing program and instilled it here. There really has been nothing else like it offered in a GM production vehicle.”
One of the clearest examples of the LS7’s race-bred technology is its use of titanium connecting rods. They weigh just 480 grams apiece, almost 30 percent less than the rods in the LS2 V-8. Besides being lightweight, which enhances high-rpm performance and rpm range, titanium makes the rods extremely durable.

The LS7’s CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads are all-new and designed to meet the high airflow demands of the engine’s 7.0-liter displacement, as it ingests approximately 100 cubic feet more air per minute than the Corvette’s 6.0-liter LS2 V-8 – an 18-percent increase in airflow. Consequently, a hydraulic roller camshaft with .591/.591-inch valve lift is used to allow plenty of air to circulate in and out of the engine.

To ensure optimal, uninterrupted airflow, the LS7’s heads have straight, tunnel-like intake runners. Very large by production-vehicle standards – even racing standards – they are designed to maintain fast airflow velocity, providing excellent torque at low rpm and exhilarating horsepower at high rpm. The heads feature 70-cc combustion chambers which are fed by huge, 56-mm-diameter titanium intake valves. The lightweight titanium valves weigh 21grams less than the stainless steel valves used in the LS2, despite the valve head having 22 percent more area. They are complemented by 41-mm sodium-filled exhaust valves, vs. 39.4-mm valves in the LS2. To accommodate the large valve face diameters, the heads’ valve seats are siamesed; and, taken from experience with the engines of C5-R racecars, the LS7’s valve angles are held at 12 degrees – versus 15 degrees for the LS2 – to enhance airflow through the ports.

All LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain’s new Performance Build Center in Wixom , Mich. The exacting standards to which they are built include deck-plate honing of the cylinders – a procedure normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine.

Dry sump oiling system
The LS7 has a dry-sump oiling system designed to keep the engine fully lubricated during the high cornering loads the Corvette Z06 is capable of producing. An engine compartment-mounted 8-quart reservoir delivers oil at a constant pressure to a conventional-style oil pump pick-up at the bottom of the engine. The pressurized oil feed keeps the oil pick-up continually immersed in oil at cornering loads exceeding 1 g.
Oil circulates through the engine and down to the oil pan, where it is sent back to the reservoir via a scavenge pump. The large-capacity reservoir, combined with a high efficiency air-to-oil cooler, provides necessary engine oil cooling under the demands of the engine’s power output. With the dry-sump system, oil is added to the engine via the reservoir tank – which includes the oil level dipstick.

The LS7’s dry-sump system was developed and tested on racetracks in the United States and Europe , including Germany ’s famed Nürburgring. And while common in racing cars, the Corvette Z06 is one of just a handful of production vehicles – and the only production Corvette – to ever incorporate such a high-performance oiling system.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
A hand-built LS7...all the more reason not to put it into a regular production Camaro. Or, if GM were to put it into the Camaro, there would be a very long wait time to get it....not to mention a huge increase in cost. Good info on the LS7, though. That's one hell of an engine.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
BlacLac02
Banned

Drives: 2002 Cadillac Escalade & STS
Send a message via AIM to BlacLac02
im only 23 and if thye offer the z06 motor ill paythe difference just to have one of the fastest cars on the road and probably a rare one too
BlacLac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Brother, I'd pay it too. I've just got to scrounge up the change for it somewhere...
Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #25
BlacLac02
Banned

oh i got my camaro account sitting collecting intrest just ready to write that check
Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #26
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

and I'm trying to make a few extra payments on the wife's car so it'll be paid off in time to get the new one and hopefully keep the SS at the same time.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #27
BlacLac02
Banned

yeah dont get rid of your ss you got now i love those styles . i had a 99 v6 when i was 16 and i wish i couldve gotten the z or even a ss but i was 16 and ins. would have killed me.esp. with 5 tickets
Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

HAHA! 5 tickets at 16 is pretty good! I had 14 total by the time I was 21. I realized that it began to cost me a bit too much. They were all highway tickets...87 in 65...90 in 70...etc. It takes time to be financially set to get the car you want. And once it's done, all on your own, it is such a rewarding feeling. I'll never forget when I called Dad and told him he no longer had to worry about being on my car note...that's when I bought my Z28. That was a turning point.