The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
maringreg

Drives: 2015 C7 Corvette Coupe 7 speed
Question 2015 Z51 Camshaft damaged

after hearing a distinct clicking noise, I brought our 2015 Z51 7speed Stingray into the dealer to see if maybe an exhaust leak, fuel injector or something electronic was making the noise. It was clear to everyone including the person at check in. The Chevrolet Dealership here in Novato, CA told me that their tech thought it was a lifter, then after a few days called to tell me it was a camshaft that was causing the problem and that it would take "several weeks" to repair.

If it's a camshaft, wouldn't it be an oiling issue or maybe a problem with manufacturing??? And if so, then wouldn't it make sense to replace the motor vs hoping that it won't happen again? Isn't a "few weeks" quite a long time to fix it? We could build a whole house in that time.

Please provide your inputs and let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Last edited by maringreg; 11-19-2017 at 08:53 PM.
maringreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
It can also be a case of a worn cam lobe.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:40 AM   #3
Verany

Drives: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by maringreg View Post
after hearing a distinct clicking noise, I brought our 2015 Z51 7speed Stingray into the dealer to see if maybe an exhaust leak, fuel injector or something electronic was making the noise. It was clear to everyone including the person at check in. The Chevrolet Dealership here in Novato, CA told me that their tech thought it was a lifter, then after a few days called to tell me it was a camshaft that was causing the problem and that it would take "several weeks" to repair.

If it's a camshaft, wouldn't it be an oiling issue or maybe a problem with manufacturing??? And if so, then wouldn't it make sense to replace the motor vs hoping that it won't happen again? Isn't a "few weeks" quite a long time to fix it? We could build a whole house in that time.
spacebar clicker
Please provide your inputs and let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I think this is a manufacturer problem. If it's new enough it's not your fault. You can ask the manufacturer to warranty it for you.
Verany is offline   Reply With Quote