Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I wish I would have bought a ZL1

I like the 1LE a lot ,but wish I bought the ZL1 . Modifying the 1LE engine with a Maggi SC is $7000.00 and would work real well I suppose ,but I would then need to do the brakes. I know I would never recoup the cost in 2 years when I sell it ,whereas a stock ZL1 with just Headers would have been more fun and less loss at resale time . I was too dumb/cheap to realize just how good a ZL1 is . A cam might work ,but to get real power NA ,it would need to be a big one and would kill drivability and this is a daily driver. So in the end GM had it right FI is the answer . If ya want to play ya gotta pay. And nothing has changed ,the question was and still is how fast do you want to go ? And the answer is still ,how much are you willing to spend. So the Mods are done and I will just enjoy the car as it is .Bo Ported TB, long tubes with HF cats, CAI with race scoop ,and a Nick D tune .
Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Right, if you had ZL1 level power as a goal, buying a ZL1 would make more financial sense, not to mention the improved reliability from the OEM parts. The beauty of the 1LE is its much-cheaper price and lighter weight. I would also very much hesitate to upgrade ZL1's beautiful magna ride, while I feel completely OK upgrading the 1LE with coilovers, so there is that, too.

I think you should remove your mods, put them on sale, and move on to a ZL1. If you regret buying the 1LE in the first months of ownership, you will only regret it more in time, so you might as well cut your losses and move on. In the end, I'm sure your loss will be minimal while the car is new.

P.S. if the headers are Texas Speed LT + x-pipe, I could even get it off your hands : P
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Do you feel like the headers, cats, CAI and tune made a noticeable difference?
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
You can send a PM to admins to have your forum name changed ; )
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
GONIF

Live and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
It made a small improvement over stock, I was being unrealistic with my expetations . It was cheap enough but after driving a ZL1 it feels kinda under powered . No need to change name . As it stands I will just get used to it and in 2 years if I'm still power hungry replace it with something with a lot more power . The feel of a Super Charged vehicle under your right foot right off idle is intoxicating .At my age 63 you deal with disappointment ,and just get over it . It was my own fault for cheaping out. At any rate I still enjoy driving the 1LE and will keep it till 2016.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
It made a small improvement over stock, I was being unrealistic with my expetations . It was cheap enough but after driving a ZL1 it feels kinda under powered . No need to change name . As it stands I will just get used to it and in 2 years if I'm still power hungry replace it with something with a lot more power . The feel of a Super Charged vehicle under your right foot right off idle is intoxicating .At my age 63 you deal with disappointment ,and just get over it . It was my own fault for cheaping out. At any rate I still enjoy driving the 1LE and will keep it till 2016.
Do you want us to feel sorry for you? You have a new 1LE with a bunch of new bolt-on parts be happy or trade for what you want. YOLO
Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Yeah, I guess it depends on your goals for the car. The 1le is the sweet spot for price and performance. I guess the question is do you really want/need more power? I mean I can't stretch the 1le legs as it is. You get a short blast on a highway on ramp and you need to shut it down. This car really needs to be on a track to have fun.

My last performance car was a 2002 z06. I did all the typical mods, intake, exhaust, cam, tune and then the clutch wasn't holding the added power, then you need bigger brakes, fine tuning drivability of the cam upgrade, etc. So, to your point, it makes sense to buy the performance from the factory for simplicity and reliability and may save money in the long run. Also all those mods are worthless on resale unless you have the right buyer.

Now, the 1le is very tempting because of the extra power and magnetic suspension but like everything in life you will eventually get bored or find a reason to want some different, etc. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer but just really make sure you want to fork over the extra cash.

If I had the cash you are talking about, I would head right over to the C7 vette with z51 package and exhaust. 7 speed rev matching manual, upgraded interior and probably faster than the zl1 naturally aspirated.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Do you want us to feel sorry for you? You have a new 1LE with a bunch of new bolt-on parts be happy or trade for what you want. YOLO
No I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me . The reason for the post was to let folks know the difference in the way a 1LE drives and a ZL1 drives. I thought someone on the fence might benefit from my experience. Simple as that . I was told by my salesman ( Doug Bonham at auto Nation Mesa ) who owns a ZL1, to do it , but I didn't listen .

Last edited by GONIF; 07-21-2014 at 03:48 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Yeah, I guess it depends on your goals for the car. The 1le is the sweet spot for price and performance. I guess the question is do you really want/need more power? I mean I can't stretch the 1le legs as it is. You get a short blast on a highway on ramp and you need to shut it down. This car really needs to be on a track to have fun.

My last performance car was a 2002 z06. I did all the typical mods, intake, exhaust, cam, tune and then the clutch wasn't holding the added power, then you need bigger brakes, fine tuning drivability of the cam upgrade, etc. So, to your point, it makes sense to buy the performance from the factory for simplicity and reliability and may save money in the long run. Also all those mods are worthless on resale unless you have the right buyer.

Now, the 1le is very tempting because of the extra power and magnetic suspension but like everything in life you will eventually get bored or find a reason to want some different, etc. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer but just really make sure you want to fork over the extra cash.

If I had the cash you are talking about, I would head right over to the C7 vette with z51 package and exhaust. 7 speed rev matching manual, upgraded interior and probably faster than the zl1 naturally aspirated.
The year they put the duel clutch in the Z51 C7 ,I'm a buyer.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
The year they put the duel clutch in the Z51 C7 ,I'm a buyer.
GM has high praise for their new 8 speed automatic, and they claim it shifts at the same speed, or faster than Porsche's PDK, at least on the Z06. If it could shift as fast as a PDK, yet not have any jerkiness at the street associated with dual clutch transmissions, it might quickly become the transmission sought after by everyone.

I'd personally stick with the manual, though: I have enough # of automatic cars already besides my fun car.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I would love to have a ZL1, but out of my price range. As this is my 1st V8, and 1st nice car i am very happy. I now need to get her paid off and start saving for the retirement i will never be able to have.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I feel for you. I went through the same kind of thoughts and test drove other brands and really thought about what I wanted out of my car and what I was going to do with it. In the end I pulled the trigger on a '14 ZL1 and I could not be happier. I'm racing my car on weekends and driving it for work all week long and it just does it all well.

IMO, trade in the 1LE and go get what you want. You'll only take a bigger bath on the trade the longer you wait. Life is to short so get what you want, as long as you can swing it, and enjoy life. We only get one shot at this life so go have fun and here is a link to a post I just did of my AutoX.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369699

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
fatboy99

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Why zl1 and not the z28? Everything I read about Z is it's strictly build for track and many would not be happy using for a daily driver. But it's one mean Camaro.
fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy99 View Post
Why zl1 and not the z28? Everything I read about Z is it's strictly build for track and many would not be happy using for a daily driver. But it's one mean Camaro.
If I had to live with one car it would be the ZL1.

Why not have it all for a lot less than a spartan chuckwagon....albeit a fast good looking spartan chuckwagon
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote