Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #141
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterluck View Post
The bumper was $500 for everything and I bought a headlight from a guy on here for $325 and my control arm was $60. That is cheaper than my deductible and now I just need paint and it will be done.
Wow that is a cheap repair. I paid over $600 to have a single control arm replaced, while the dealer wanted over $800.

Repairs to replace my front end (new headlights, hood, bumper, quarter panel repair) totaled over $15k.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #142
homero89

Drives: 1LS
I find it a little hard to to believe this story so I decided to try it out and post some pics. I'm 5' 7" and theses pictures were taken with my seat in my normal driving position. The steering wheel was as far down as it goes. My leg is in 3 different positions in these pictures.

First 2 pics is with my foot on the accelerator like it would be when I'm driving.

Second 5 is making my knee touch the keyfob, which I found to be somewhat hard to keep in position. Its not an easy position to get to and its not easy to stay there. Some pictures seem like I'm touching the floor, I'm not, there's a good 6 inches to the ground or the gas pedal.

Last 3 is with my leg comfortable back straight about 90° from the ground.

Now I know I'm not a tall person and I have short legs. But it would seem to me that if a person has longer legs, they would have longer arms too, and would sit further back. Which in turn would leave their knees in the same general vicinity as mine when driving, if maybe a few inches further back, not up. Now in the video it seems OP has his legs straight up parallel from the ground, which if he has long legs then I can see him hitting the keyfob, but then it goes to, if you're driving why are your legs 90° from the ground and not extended to touch the accelerator?

Maybe some of you taller drivers can post pics on how close you get to the keyfob?
Attached Images

Last edited by homero89; 08-04-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: There yall go, no more hairy legs lol
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #143
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterluck View Post
I bumped my Key with my knee and shut my car off on accident and crashed into a stop sign.

So long story short, I was on my lunch break on my way home @ around 3am (I work at night) and was only going 25. I did not even realize anything until it was too late. I ended up with damage to my front fascia, 3/4 wheels, bent my lower control arm and broke my driver side headlight.

I was really embarrassed about it, as I had no idea that this was a safety issue at the time (June 1st). My wife made fun of me about it, and the guys at work couldn't believe that something like that could happen. I ended up starting to piece my car back together, buying the bumper pieces, a new headlight, and lower control arm etc. Rims are another story... This stuff gets pricey and I did not want to claim it on my insurance, so I am still in the midst of getting it fixed.

I already have a case open with GM, so they should cover the damage (hopefully). I am 6'2 and my knee sits almost perfectly with where my key is. If you guys have not gotten your key changed out, do so. I did this to my ZL1, and now have to fight with GM on who's fault it is and prove to them my case.

Has this happened to anyone else?
I am 6'2" and unless I am positioned in my car right over the wheel like a Nascar driver I don't come near the key.

Good Luck with this.

So what really happened? did you fall asleep?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #144
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
driving a zl1 with high heels on?... anything is possible these days
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #145
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by homero89 View Post
I find it a little hard to to believe this story so I decided to try it out and post some pics. I'm 5' 7" and theses pictures were taken with my seat in my normal driving position. The steering wheel was as far down as it goes. My leg is in 3 different positions in these pictures.

First 2 pics is with my foot on the accelerator like it would be when I'm driving.

Second 5 is making my knee touch the keyfob, which I found to be somewhat hard to keep in position. Its not an easy position to get to and its not easy to stay there. Some pictures seem like I'm touching the floor, I'm not, there's a good 6 inches to the ground or the gas pedal.

Now I know I'm not a tall person and I have short legs. But it would seem to me that if a person has longer legs, they would have longer arms too, and would sit further back. Which in turn would leave their knees in the same general vicinity as mine when driving, if maybe a few inches further back, not up. Now in the video it seems OP has his legs straight up parallel from the ground, which if he has long legs then I can see him hitting the keyfob, but then it goes to, if you're driving why are your legs 90° from the ground and not extended to touch the accelerator?

Maybe some of you taller drivers can post pics on how close you get to the keyfob?

I think I just lost my foot fetish.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #146
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't know about this, I'm 6'2" and did exactly what the OP did in that video and was able to move the seat forward, bump the key and shut the car off, the only problem was that I was so far into the steering wheel that I would not have been able to take a left, right, or even hit the brake from that vantage point. Not saying it's impossible, but you really have to be in an odd place to do so.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #147
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
No kidding homero89 NO MORE pictures of your legs please.........
Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #148
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by homero89 View Post

Someone cares a little too much.

I did not expect hairy legs on my agenda tonight, thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #149
potterluck
LukeB

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #3802

Better view of where I sit
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #150
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
What are you doing smoking in your car?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #151
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post

He must got the extra money to re patch the leather when holes get put into it from ashes. Spend! Spend! Spend!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #152
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
Look sorta like a doob.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #153
Notorious Bob

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Black
Still have no idea how you hit the key. If you're foot was on the gas pedal, moving your knee up, inward and forward is such an un-natural movement. The only way I can get close to being able to nudge the key is to basically lay flat in the seat to the point where I can't see over the dash :S

But giving you the benefit of any doubt, what's the issue? An accident is and accident, that's what insewerance is for. But I can't see you getting a dime out of GM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #154
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Why are you still using the switchblade? If it happened to me I would've have the recall done. Your writing checks your body can't cash!

Closed Thread

Tags
blame it on the keys.net, crashed, keyfob, lanky legged larry