Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
well, to clarify some things, none of the prices you see to the right hand side actually correlate with the pricing of the individual parts, or services. This is a package that includes those items. Say we had the headers on there for a dollar, the overall price wouldn't change as it's a place holder, so other items would change to offset the reduction of the headers.

Also, we do a custom tune and give you a handheld that stores your stock tune. Want to save some money? We can tune it without the tuner, but most customers appreciate the availability of that device.

With all of that said. If you are looking for someone to be the dirt cheap place, we are not, nor ever will be that type of shop. We have cars shipped to use from around the globe (up to 47 states, 11 countries, and 4 continents now) because of our skill set, and quality we put out. That will cost more. We also do nothing but performance work on late model cars. You won't find a pickup truck having an alternator put on next to your car.

We take the time to wash cars before and after, wrap them in plastic like they are shipped from the factory in, and take the utmost care in your vehicle. For that, it will always cost extra, but it's definitely what we pride ourselves in the most.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
You are definitely in good hands! Price is very fair! DO IT
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #31
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
well, to clarify some things, none of the prices you see to the right hand side actually correlate with the pricing of the individual parts, or services. This is a package that includes those items. Say we had the headers on there for a dollar, the overall price wouldn't change as it's a place holder, so other items would change to offset the reduction of the headers.

Also, we do a custom tune and give you a handheld that stores your stock tune. Want to save some money? We can tune it without the tuner, but most customers appreciate the availability of that device.

With all of that said. If you are looking for someone to be the dirt cheap place, we are not, nor ever will be that type of shop. We have cars shipped to use from around the globe (up to 47 states, 11 countries, and 4 continents now) because of our skill set, and quality we put out. That will cost more. We also do nothing but performance work on late model cars. You won't find a pickup truck having an alternator put on next to your car.

We take the time to wash cars before and after, wrap them in plastic like they are shipped from the factory in, and take the utmost care in your vehicle. For that, it will always cost extra, but it's definitely what we pride ourselves in the most.
Thanks for the clarification. OP I would def go with them.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #32
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Thats a good price especially with a custom tune and a HH Tuner provided, there's places that will do the same work for around 2K but you get what you pay for. If I still lived in Windsor my car would only get touched by Livernois. Pretty much everyone I know who has a modded LSx car in that area goes to Livernois.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I'd do it myself. $800-850 will get you Stainless Power headers and gaskets, bolts, etc.

Dynotunes are usually around $300-400. They're charging you $1110 to install and dynotune the car. Their tune is probably some pre-loaded tune they use on all bolt-on Gen 5's. That's sky high. How the HELL can they justify that for a bolt-on only tune? If you did a full H/C or a FI install and tune, then I understand but that's crazy for headers. I paid $300 flat for a dynotune on my 4th gen a couple years ago. Anything over $400 is unacceptable.

If you perform the purchase and labor yourself, then pay just for tuning, you'd probably get away with $1200-1300.

You don't need plugs and wires, but they will need to be removed and replaced. You will probably break several if you try to install headers without removing them.

At the very least you can do yourself a favor and buy your own material. It looks like they're sticking 15-20% on the material.

EDIT - I didn't realize you get a handheld tuner. IMO you don't need that. I'd cut $500 right off the top by eliminating the handheld tuner and plugs/wires. Unnecessary. But it still seems high even then.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #34
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I'd do it myself. $800-850 will get you Stainless Power headers and gaskets, bolts, etc.

Dynotunes are usually around $300-400. They're charging you $1110 to install and dynotune the car. Their tune is probably some pre-loaded tune they use on all bolt-on Gen 5's. That's sky high. How the HELL can they justify that for a bolt-on only tune? If you did a full H/C or a FI install and tune, then I understand but that's crazy for headers. I paid $300 flat for a dynotune on my 4th gen a couple years ago. Anything over $400 is unacceptable.

If you perform the purchase and labor yourself, then pay just for tuning, you'd probably get away with $1200-1300.

You don't need plugs and wires, but they will need to be removed and replaced. You will probably break several if you try to install headers without removing them.

At the very least you can do yourself a favor and buy your own material. It looks like they're sticking 15-20% on the material.

EDIT - I didn't realize you get a handheld tuner. IMO you don't need that. I'd cut $500 right off the top by eliminating the handheld tuner and plugs/wires. Unnecessary. But it still seems high even then.
I think you are completely misreading the quote. I'll play along, even though the pricing in the column is meaningless (all except for the final amount)

1. you state you paid $300 for a tune in the past, that's perfectly fine. If you look, he's "paying" 300 for a custom dyno tune.

2. You state deleting a handheld tuner will save him $500. How? even if you went by the line pricing, the tuner is $300 (again, the line item pricing is meaningless)

3. Really? you don't want to change the plugs and wires while there is zero labor associated with them? Why would anyone skip out on this just to have to do it in a year, and then spend an extra hour or so doing something that took about 3 extra minutes while doing the headers?

4. the LAST thing you should be price shopping for is a dyno tune. It's the most critical item on a successful build, and the first thing people want to cheap out on. Would you price shop a doctor when you needed surgery? Or would you want to know who does the best work and go to them? The Calibration world has many parallels to the medical field. There are hacks out there, and truly gifted craftsmen. I know what side of the fence I am on when it comes to that, but think about it the big picture before being hung up on a price.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #35
2014ssblk

Drives: black 2ss 2014
Well i dont anything about cars,im in home renovation busniess,so theres 50% larbor cost which seems like alot,,but if there the best then its fair by best i mean above and beyon the other performance companys its worth it,,meaning if the about 300to 400 more that seems fair,,again no clue,,i tried to leave there name out of the picture,,,ive hearded great things bout them,the plugs AND wires seemed to be weird to me cause it only has 17000 miles on it but now that i know it makes it easy i uderstand i might just get my own parts and install them my self and get a custom tune by them as ive been looking in to what it take to do myself with the help of my father which btw hates my 2014 camaro challenger 1974 with some engine 427hemi again im clueless about cars,,,UNDERSTAND THEY HAVE KVERHEAD BUILING,ELT,GAS,INS,PAYROLL,ADVERTISING, UPGRADES TO MACHINES,SO YEAP IM GOING JUST HAVE THEM DO THE CUSTOM TUNE,,WHEN THE TIME COMES FR A CAM AND SUPER CHARGER THATS WHEN ILL TAKE IT TO THE PROS FOR INSTALLION.
2014ssblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #36
2014ssblk

Quote:
I think you are completely misreading the quote. I'll play along, even though the pricing in the column is meaningless (all except for the final amount)

1. you state you paid $300 for a tune in the past, that's perfectly fine. If you look, he's "paying" 300 for a custom dyno tune.

2. You state deleting a handheld tuner will save him $500. How? even if you went by the line pricing, the tuner is $300 (again, the line item pricing is meaningless)

3. Really? you don't want to change the plugs and wires while there is zero labor associated with them? Why would anyone skip out on this just to have to do it in a year, and then spend an extra hour or so doing something that took about 3 extra minutes while doing the headers?

4. the LAST thing you should be price shopping for is a dyno tune. It's the most critical item on a successful build, and the first thing people want to cheap out on. Would you price shop a doctor when you needed surgery? Or would you want to know who does the best work and go to them? The Calibration world has many parallels to the medical field. There are hacks out there, and truly gifted craftsmen. I know what side of the fence I am on when it comes to that, but think about it the big picture before being hung up on a price.
I ARGEE WITH NUMBER 4,,AS I HEAR YOUR PLACE IS THE BEST THERE IS AROUND HERE,I LIKE THE IDEA OF A HAND HANDLE TO SAVE THE STOCK STUFF, AGAIN SORRY I HAD YOU NAME POSTED ON HERE WAS NOT TO SAY YOUR OVERCHARGEING WAS TO SEE WHAT THE AVG PPL PAY FOR SERVICE,SO WHAT IS THE AVG COST FOR A CUSTOM TUNE WITH CAI AND HEADERS (BALLPARK)??

Heres a picture of my main #itch an side #itch
We all LOVE THIS SITE AND ITS ONLY GREAT WITH PICTURES,,,IVE BEEN LEARNING ALOT OFF THIS SITE AND HAVE ALO TO LEARN,,,,NOW I
M GOING TO GET IN MY STOCK CAMARO SS AND ENJOY THIS SUNNY ASS DAY IN ITLOL:rules
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #37
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
seems like a decent price to me. You want to work with a shop who specializes in this kind of work and on these type of cars. The shop I go to here in town does the same thing and it does cost a bit more but they have my back if something goes wrong and they know what they are talking about.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #38
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Bust out your check book ,that is a fair price for a pro to set you up . This way you will know it is done right.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #39
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
I paid roughly around $1600-$1700 for sp headers and cats with dyno tune so the price looks fair to me. You gotta pay to play.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #40
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Not kissing anyone's ass just because they're a reputable shop, but seriously guys you can't bitch about cost when its grade a work...even if you did do the labor, could you possible tune like Livernois can? doubtful...how many threads have you seen with people complaining about shotty work, failures, etc? Pay for quality stuff from reputable people and receive quality work...go cheap on your car and chances are you'll use the money you 'saved' fixing your car..your choice buddy I would just take it to them since you say you have absolutely no skill with autos...at least have them do the tune if you plan on modding

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #41
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Not kissing anyone's ass just because they're a reputable shop, but seriously guys you can't bitch about cost when its grade a work...even if you did do the labor, could you possible tune like Livernois can? doubtful...how many threads have you seen with people complaining about shotty work, failures, etc? Pay for quality stuff from reputable people and receive quality work...go cheap on your car and chances are you'll use the money you 'saved' fixing your car..your choice buddy I would just take it to them since you say you have absolutely no skill with autos...at least have them do the tune if you plan on modding
Yup. Never heard one bad thing about livernois. Kinda like lingenfelter. You want a premier shop to do it can't get much better than either.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
2014ssblk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
My dad and i will put the heads and cai,,i just spoke with him said!we could put them on in under a few hour!HE DOES KNOW ABOUT ENGINES,,,THE PERFORMANCE TUNE WILL BE DONE BE!THE!PROS SINCE HES NEVER HEARD OF A PERFORMANCE TUNE,THANKS EVERY BODY FKR THE!THOUGHTS