Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
There are a number of things to consider here. I'm unsure how old you are but back in the day when you purchased a "muscle car" off the lot, the beast was 100% mechanical. Springs and metal rods were used to open up the carbs. This gave you instant access to all of the power the car had to offer. I still remember burying my foot into my 1970 GTX 440 six pack on the way home from the dealer. My God, talk about neck breaking.

Today, while the horse power and torque numbers are back were they were in the late 60s, technology has stepped in to change how these new cars ride and perform. Computers dole out torque and horsepower in a much more smooth and civilized fashion. You just don't get the "seat of your pants neck breaking" ride of the past. Some say the new refinements make the cars much more pleasurable to drive. I happen to think that this is a load of sh... but I digress.

The point is, the car wont come to life until about 7,000 miles are on the clock. As others have said, GM has said that the power band on these cars was set above 3500 RPM so that the car could be tamely driven around town. Either get used to it or accept that you have to dump thousands into the car in order to make it run like you feel it should.
I think you were saying this, but I want to reiterate that though these new cars may not feel as fast as the 60's and 70's cars, they are much faster, and handle much better! Don't judge your car by the seat of your pants. If knowing what it can do means a lot to you, and you really want the facts, take the thing to an event and compete!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
and thats the difference between the manual and the L99 stock.
the LS3 on a manual feels and outperforms the L99 easily stock.

once modified is when things start to even out.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #31
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I think you were saying this, but I want to reiterate that though these new cars may not feel as fast as the 60's and 70's cars, they are much faster, and handle much better! Don't judge your car by the seat of your pants. If knowing what it can do means a lot to you, and you really want the facts, take the thing to an event and compete!
Yes, in a long winded post, that was what I was saying. lol.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
I feel that my LS3 is still a little short on snoot compared to the G8 GT I traded in. Of course I only have about 600 miles on it and I don't want to abuse it yet. My plan is to run a couple tanks of 91 through it (93 is not readily available to me in my normal driving circle) and then do a fuse pull. Hopefully by then the weather will be clear enough for me to push the fun pedal.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
Felt the same way with my SS. A CAI cold air intake helped a bit with throttle response, added a few HP, and gave her a sweet sounding growl.
That's exactly what I did to my Camaro L99 Super happy now
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
by the way, what's a fuse pull ? Which fuse you guys are talking about here ? Thanks
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
My daily driver is a V6 and I can definitely feel the difference when I drive the Camaro. The throttle response as said isn't where it should be but once you get up and going the power is there.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
I have an l99 too. When I first got it thought my 95 z28 lt1 felt faster off the line. With this cars the power band is pretty much at 4k rpms and higher then the beast really comes alive. Would suggest fuse pull. Dont forget the trunk fuse just in case. Drive in sport mode and maybe set the traction control in competition mode. If you want to feel your head snap back you have to use the paddles. Instant torque is around 4k rpms
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
First of all, cant rely on feel (i.e. the feeling in your ass on the seat) when comparing cars to another car. There are too many variables.

Get in a 79 camaro and floor it, the whole thing is made out of sheet metal, no insulation, you will feel every vibration, hear every sound and "feel" like you are going much faster, the front end will kick up, etc.

Our cars are much more refined, and put the power to the ground more efficiently, and so many things go into the car that stop you from feeling/experiencing that kick.

The car will be different after its fully broken in, and possibly after the fuse pull.

ONE huge thing people put to much stock in, is how far down you have to push the gas before you get a response. THIS IS MEANINGLESS.

The proted throttle bodies, and some of those "chips", just make it so the throttle opens more with the pedal traveling less.

You dont want this, it would be better to have a smoother curve for the throttle opening and closing. Since this is controlled by fly by wire, its very easy to change the ratio with tuning, which is what the "chips" do.

Many people have said the ported throttle body alone will not help anything, and have dyno results to back it up. You need a different intake, and intake manifold for the throttle body to make a difference, and even then its not huge without forced induction.

Trust me, the car is fast, break it in, do the fuse pull, use premium, do your first oil change, put the car in sport mode with the trans if its an auto, and competitive mode with the stabilitrak and its definitely fun.

Get some exhaust so you can hear it!
Yup, yup, and yup!

Everything this dude just said, a glazed doughnut, and a bottle of anything, TO GO!
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
Ravage

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Are you driving it in Sport and Manual gearing with the L99? If you control the gearing you get far more response out of it compared to letting the car figure out what to do. I never trust automatics to deliver the power to the car, even in my Infiniti EX35 the auto box was a bit laggy especially at highway speeds. I say the Camaro is a little different feeling, but manually controlling the gearing makes it far, far better than what the infiniti could ever deliver.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
5thGenOCD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
I think the best mod for theses cars (IMHO) is gears. Although an expensive mod, it really wakes these cars up. A lot of people say 4.10 with the manual and 3.73 for the auto. But I only have minor bolt ons and have 3.73 gears and my car pulls like hell. In all RPM ranges...
5thGenOCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I put a 1LE rear end in my LS3 and she snaps my passenger and my neck on every shift till 5th.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #41
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
As said, try keeping it above 3 grand and see what you think. My little stock bitch pulls way hard as I get to 4 and beyond.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
this happens in the v8s too??

wow...what about the zl1s?