Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
2012 Camaro ECM Secrets Revealed

For 2012, GM has already re-written their software in the E38 ECM to comply with the new EPA/DOT regulations that will come into effect in 2014. This is about when you will see the new Gen of Direct injection motors that are currently racing in The Grand Am series (C-6 Corvette) begin to come on line.
OK we are not going to reveal all of the secrets because VaraRam spent a lot of time and money in R&D to find them all. We are just going to show one very significant change.
They say a picture is worth 1000 words so here is a video of one of the changes on a 2012 Camaro, Don’t try this if you have a 2010-2011 Camaro only 2012 on up . This is an across the board change so ZL-1’s Corvettes, Chevy Gas Trucks etc…all have the same alteration.
So, if someone tells you that there are no changes to the computer, just have them watch the video.
We have driven over 1000 miles with this unhooked, tried it on ZL-1’s and some trucks etc.. they all drove great and ran hard with clean fuel trims in some cases better AFR’s than OEM stock.
If the check engine light had never come on you would never have known this was unhooked.
Our research and development programs here at VaraRam are intensive to say the least. We stay in touch with manufacturers to stay up to date with the latest changes from the OEM’s. This enables VaraRam to produce the very best performing product possible to our customers.
We hope this informs and opens a few eyebrows.
VR Tech
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@vararam.com View Post
http://youtu.be/NX1ex8rd6t8

For 2012, GM has already re-written their software in the E38 ECM to comply with the new EPA/DOT regulations that will come into effect in 2014. This is about when you will see the new Gen of Direct injection motors that are currently racing in The Grand Am series (C-6 Corvette) begin to come on line.
OK we are not going to reveal all of the secrets because VaraRam spent a lot of time and money in R&D to find them all. We are just going to show one very significant change.
They say a picture is worth 1000 words so here is a video of one of the changes on a 2012 Camaro, Don’t try this if you have a 2010-2011 Camaro only 2012 on up . This is an across the board change so ZL-1’s Corvettes, Chevy Gas Trucks etc…all have the same alteration.
So, if someone tells you that there are no changes to the computer, just have them watch the video.
We have driven over 1000 miles with this unhooked, tried it on ZL-1’s and some trucks etc.. they all drove great and ran hard with clean fuel trims in some cases better AFR’s than OEM stock.
If the check engine light had never come on you would never have known this was unhooked.
Our research and development programs here at VaraRam are intensive to say the least. We stay in touch with manufacturers to stay up to date with the latest changes from the OEM’s. This enables VaraRam to produce the very best performing product possible to our customers.
We hope this informs and opens a few eyebrows.
VR Tech
So does this mean that the system is using an inferred value to replace the MAF signal when it's unplugged, or that the system is ignoring it (with the exception of flagging the open circuit)? Can you explain a little about this? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
are they running wideband O2 sensors now and adjusting air/fuel trims that way vs MAF tuning? or am i completely off?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Sooo what exactly are you trying to say? The car runs with the MAF unplugged? Or did I miss something else here?

Any why not do this on a 2010-11?

I accidently didn't plug the MAF back in on a dyno run back in April with my 2010, closed the hood, made the pull car ran fine, put down similar numbers as with the MAF plugged in... The AFR was the same as with it plugged in, and the check engine light didn't even come on. Open the hood, "Oh look I forgot to plug the MAF in", plug it in, make another run, again similar numbers, similar AFR...

Now again, I didn't do this on purpose, but it seems like nothing new to me.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
sales@vararam.com

We do not want to dive to far into this because this video is but one of many. Its the many that are allowing us to push both flow and power higher. Understandably we don't want to reveal too much here. We have spent a lot of time and money in R&D to develop the 2012 camaro system, we prefer to keep some things quiet.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
sales@vararam.com

The reason the other intakes/ram airs do not have a problem with the ECU has nothing to do with their architecture. In terms of airflow being delivered to the engine ,It’s as simple as this “They are restrictive” simple as that, their MAF sensor depth and or placement has been altered as has the bore diameter of the intake tubing ,so most make some power. Some make power from flow and some from computer reading alterations and some from both. That does not mean they offer a flow increase over OEM. Some are behind and some are ahead but they do not support the stock engine in terms of its true flow requirement. All the talk about this design vs. that design, yet they cannot flow over 273CFM on a stock cylinder head at 28 inches of water@ .500inch of lift. They may have told you that their systems flow whatever CFM. That may be true mounted to a flow bench but not mounted to a throttle body, mounted to an intake manifold, mounted to a cylinder head. That is a different world and a different aerodynamic flow package.
We have all of the systems, we have flow tested and road/track tested them all,and we data log and catalogue the results. We even modify their systems to find where to improve their products performance.Each time we have done this we have found substantial power and performance gains over what they delivered right out of the box. On one popular cold air unit we found another 12hp and 15ftlbs in only 5 min! With another system, a Ram air system, we found it had very poor efficiency. This system Incurred over 80% pressure loss. When we made it into a proper system the drivability was lost. To make it what we produce everything would have to change or we could just do what they did and leave it restrictive. The above listed ram air systems manifold pressure was only 13.9 -14.0 PSI@ 5650RPM. The stock air box is at a rock solid 14.10PSI+ at the same RPM, yet the aftermarket system will run slightly better than OEM stock . This is from MAF manipulation, it's not from actual generated air flow. Anyone can and should data log it for themselves.
If you cannot support the stock heads flow requirement, how do you expect to support a modified one? GM didn’t want you to touch their car and for that reason the ECM and the stock airbox are within the engines flow requirement. They do not meet it by 100% but they are close. GM is not stupid they do a real good job of engineering these vehicles. For 2012 to make big power from flow they have changed the way in which you have to go about it. We will not say any more than that, we are happy letting our competition think whatever they want because on race day the guy with the VaraRam will be the one holding the trophy.
We have posted a video in another thread to show one of the many changes that were made for 2012
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Dan2510

Drives: 2012 LS3 2SS/RS IBM
So whens your 2012 cold air available?
Dan2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
^^^^^ What he said!
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
-SS-

Drives: 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2510 View Post
So whens your 2012 cold air available?

-SS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
are they running wideband O2 sensors now and adjusting air/fuel trims that way vs MAF tuning? or am i completely off?

No, still factory NB 02's. Sorry. Had to install an Innovate LC-1 WB to tune mine.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
No, still factory NB 02's. Sorry. Had to install an Innovate LC-1 WB to tune mine.
Speed Density mode? But I've compared a 2010 tune and 2012 tune and while they do have about 68 differences, none of them would indicate this change. I think I posted a screen shot of the changes in another thread. Found it.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=15

I was hoping to see the blowing on the MAF and killing the engine video. Has anyone with a 2012 tried that yet?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
right on...thanks for the update
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
omg, it's like soooooo silly!
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
So what's this a hybrid sd/MAF style system? Lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote