Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you want a Manual, Auto, or Paddle shifter
Manual 46 57.50%
Auto 5 6.25%
Paddle Shifter 29 36.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #57
'09-Z28

Drives: '03 Mazda 6s
I vote for Paddles.

Here's my take. I have driven plenty cars with both manual and auto w/ option to shift. Here's the reason I want Paddles, or auto w/ manual mode. There is less time from the point I decide I want to shift until the time the car actually shifts.

In a car with manual transmission, I have to decide that I want to shift then push in the clutch then change the gear then let the clutch out again. In an auto, I decide that I want to shift then pull the paddle or tap the stick then the car shifts for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #58
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
Has anybody ever driven with a paddle shifter before
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #59
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
This probably doesnt help that much because it wasnt a GM auto shifter but i drove an Audi A4 with shifting with the stick. It was very very slow shifting and kinda ruined the feeling. Since i dont have any experience with manual shifting i got confused with downshifting even with this auto and it was jerky. idk im dumb

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I haven't, but I don't want to hear anything about the first GM paddle shifters. Those sucked bigtime from everything I've read. They were slow to up shift, and only slightly quicker to downshift.

The 2008's were supposedly gonna be much better. trailing conventional sticks within .1 seconds...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #61
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Something missing with the paddles. Sure, might be quicker, but you lose part of feeling with them. There's more "soul" in driving a manual, IMO. Makes you feel more like "one with the car" and is part of the driving experience to me. A number of car mags hold the same position, if that matters to you or not.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #62
Mr. Wyndham

Nobody who drives manual ever wishes that they had an Auto option, though? For those rough days, or when your a little beat?

Just trying to ask the un-asked questions, here...something I've always wondered of the people who drive a type of tranny many consider to be 'primitive'.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #63
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
In traffic or if you drive in very hilly areas all the time, then an auto may be missed. But for it's purpose (spirited driving) it's worth it to me. Stick shifts may be considered "primitive" by some, but they are the most efficient.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #64
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Nobody who drives manual ever wishes that they had an Auto option, though? For those rough days, or when your a little beat?

Just trying to ask the un-asked questions, here...something I've always wondered of the people who drive a type of tranny many consider to be 'primitive'.
Only wanted it once. I'm sure those who have had manuals and had to drive w/ a broken leg would have wished they had an auto.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #65
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
My first car was a manual, and they've alternated between auto and manual since then.

Automatic is nice if you're feeling lazy or you're just using the car to get to a destination, but if you actually want to drive the car, Manual can't be beat.

P.S. I always thought this guy was farting and dancing! Now I see the shifter and the steering wheel. Makes a lot more sense now.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #66
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post

P.S. I always thought this guy was farting and dancing! Now I see the shifter and the steering wheel. Makes a lot more sense now.
If that's a fart then those are some hellacious skid marks lol. Poor smiley couldn't hold it till he got to a gas station

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #67
AConn

Drives: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
I think it sort of depends on if the car is drive by wire or a throttle cable. If its drive by wire I want an auto/paddle shifter. If its drive by throttle cable, I would like a manual.

The reason I say this is because I drive an STI and that is drive by wire (no throttle cable-all electric). You lose the true feeling of the engine with it IMO. Sometimes I lightly touch the gas pedal and the engine won't do anything (when I'm taking off), and I end up giving it too much gas and the car revs like crazy - just because it didn't react to my small press on the throttle.
Thats pretty much the only problem I have with my stick.

I also hate misshifts :p
Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #68
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AConn View Post
I also hate misshifts :p
Yeah, Mis-shifts tend to send a shiver down my spine. Especially when someone else is driving my car who's not so experienced with a manual transmission. I let some friends practice for their license in my first car and they would either steer or they would shift, but not both. Needless to say, their lessons did not last too long.

Now, I've got my automatic Corolla for going places and I'll "soon" have my Manual Camaro for Driving!

My only real problem with Manual transmission is stop signs at the top of really steep hills with cars behind you. You've got to be quick and coordinated to not slide backwards too far. I'll admit, I've come across a few exceptionally steep hills in Seattle that I just couldn't get started on once I'd come to a complete stop. That can be kind of embarrassing.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #69
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
thats how i learned to drive a stick haha. my dad took me on a big hill and said "here, your turn" lol, and amazingly i got it
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #70
Mr. Wyndham

I'm now leaning toward paddle shifters...untill I actually drive a stick, I won't understand that "feel" that everybody talks about. The new GM tranny will offer the performance side of things with 1-6 gear selection, along with an auto mode for lazy, or soar-bodied drives.

The stick offers full gear freedom, along with a clutch, which can increase your "feel" with the car, but can also be a bit of a pain...

A lot of Euro-sports cars are coming with DCT...and GM's paddle-shifted auto is the closest I'll ever get to that, I think.

I just can't make up my mind. because I know that if I chose auto, I'll be happy, but forever wonder what a stick is like...and if I get stick, then I may not like it, and now I'm screwed with a 30k car that I don't want to drive...

6 of one, and half-a-dozen of the other