Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
So since I have a security camera focused on my car and the Onstar app to keep track of the mileage and stuff I guess you could say I am spying on my car.....

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 01-10-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott's45 View Post
45th's log, week 12....this a-hole still hasn't started me, or moved me in the slightest. I can't see a thing due to this cover. Wonder when I'll see the outside again...

You know this idea just hit me with the new Performance Data Recorder in the C7 Z06. The amount of information that thing can give you is amazing and it has a camera recording your moves when enabled and it is a wifi hot spot. I'm wondering when people will start hacking cars or putting viruses on them. Imagine having to but McAfee Virus Scan for your Camaro

-kerry
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #31
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but this can be done now with very little overhead. The scenario where your location, speed, and direction are sent every second is not too much overhead for mobile networks. Each data package is very small. We're talking about perhaps 64 bits (8 bytes) of data + 60 bytes of networking wrappers for a total of 124-ish bytes. Storing the data is not a problem either for the same reasons, though it could be limited to the last hour or 24 hours before rolling it over.
Who is doing the storage and processing of all this data though? Sending it is not an issue, but the backend would be something that no one would want to do for free, hell, we have a fairly large and high end datacenter on site and I can just imagine presenting this to management, the blank stares would be like lasers.
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #32
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
I hate to say it but I bet OnStar is doing the same damn thing in GM cars, they're just not dumb enough to say it to the press.
Bingo! This is why I cancelled OnStar and the insurance "drive safe" thing. OnStar knows exactly how you drive at any time, and reports to your insurance company if you are on the program. DON'T DO IT!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #33
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
If it comes to this, I envision the same senario as red light cameras. A company owns and operates the system, mails you a ticket and keeps 70-80% of the revenue.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #34
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
This is why I am weary in participating fully in the drive safe program. I got 6 months free of OnStar and told them I'd join in, little did they know, I did not call my insurance :P. I lost out on another free 6 months but it ain't worth higher insurance costs hehe

And as far as I know so long as OnStar is active they know exactly where you are at all times, the GPS works both ways, to direct you and for OnStar to be able to find you. In addition they know you're speed, they know how many miles you have till you are empty, they know your oil life, they know if you have a flat tire, etc etc

There's even a microphone in the car!

You can't walk around life being afraid of all this, this is our society now, it came with all the technology that we love.... smart phones are more dangerous than our cars.....

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #35
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Not too worry about the car spying on me
But the wife , and the car being on the same plan spying on one , that's a full load of crape
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #36
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshaker6 View Post
Simple:
- Street racing is illegal and dangerous to more than yourself. If the box can detect it, catch them.
- Track racing is going to let your insurance company off the hook if you wreck it. If you tow the car somewhere and say it was hit, that is fraud...book um Dan O!
- Nobody is reporting you for cruising (or speeding) at this point...if you want to do the typical 10 mph over, do it....the little black box will not get you the ticket, the nice Police Officer will.

This is so much like the people posting threats to Facebook if their information they post on social media gets leaked on social media...if you don't want to get caught, don't do it.

Everyone acts like they are living a life in the CIA and every part of it should be secret, yet they post every bit of it on social media! If you want to live the super-secret squirrel life, that is cool…give up your iPhone, computer, satellite TV (with the Smart TV functions), etc…but (or build so no one else knows where it is) a house in the mountains somewhere. Grow your own food so the frequent buyer cards you use at Food Lion does not let anyone know what items you are eating…and live the quite life.

Now, am I one of those CIA spies that are looking into your every move? Nope…Do I want the government knowing every time I have sex? Nope…So, if I put it on social media, I expect others to know about it. If I speed on the roads, I expect that someone could find out. If tracking an idiot driving over 100 mph on the street saves my daughter’s life because he/she was busted before running a red light and T-Boning her car, would I be happy? You dang skippy!
Yes Obey your master , Any violation should be penalised , maybe there should be a satellite on every car and person , and every time you go
over the speed limit or not hit your turn signal , or do a rolling stop , you should receive a ticket and fine and should have to pay the penalty , More laws and fines that is the answer
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #37
DennisW1284

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's say every car got surveillance. Someone would have to observe all those cars, so a whole lot of people would suddenly have low-paying jobs where all they do is see if someone is speeding or driving against the rules. These people would have the most monotonous, boring jobs out there, and they'd barely be paying their bills. Do you think these guys would produce quality work? Do you think they'd be awesome at stopping people from breaking road rules, or do you think they'd be overwhelmed that almost every driver drives above the speed limit, rolls a stop sign, or fails to use their blinker at least once a day?

On top of that, there's the infrastructure investment that would be necessary. Watching every American drive every day will take more data processing than current wireless networks can handle. Even if we all put our phones down and never used WiFi again, there still isn't enough bandwidth to handle every car during rush hour in every major city, and you can forget about rural areas that have poor data connections.

That leaves us with an almost inevitable scandal. Surveillance supervisors will try to prioritize vehicles that are more likely to break driving rules. It would lead to a scandal where some whistleblower would claim that only people in fast cars or only people under 25 years old would be busted. We, as Americans, would be faced with a decision. Do we accept age discrimination the same way that we do with auto insurance or discrimination based on our freedom to choose a fast car, or do we challenge surveillance of American citizens?

I'll leave that to you.

In summary, if there is nationwide surveillance anytime soon, it'll be mediocre at best and it won't be effective. If it ever happens, though, I still expect Americans not to tolerate it.
There wouldn't be a need to pay workers to sit around all day. It would take me all of 10 minutes to program an application to automatically ping the police anytime a vehicle exceeds a speed limit. Could go one step further and just automatically issue a citation by mail.
DennisW1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #38
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
So if you want to be off the grid, go. If you don't care use the soc sites.

I know they are watching, and I could give 3 shits. I'm a law abiding citizen, so they are pretty bored watching me all the time. I don't do anything illegal(I don't consider speeding and defaulted loans illegal activity, hence the difference between commercial and consumer loans.).

Look for the money. Seek the sources of these spying activities, see who's footing the bills, and you'll know why. FBI, CIA, NSA; does it matter? Most Americans aren't doing anything. It's all part of the marketing plan. Sell sell sell. Now if they detect illegal activity then by all means arrest, but make it stick. I mean arms drugs bombs. Terrorist activity. Nip it in the bud.
Troy Lawson
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #39
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
In addition to insurance companies tracking mileage...They are exploring how, over the next decade, they can move to a system in which drivers pay per mile of road they roll over.

"This really is a must for our nation. It is not a matter of something we might choose to do," said Hasan Ikhrata, executive director of the Southern California Assn. of Governments, which is planning for the state to start tracking miles driven by every California motorist by 2025. "There is going to be a change in how we pay these taxes. The technology is there to do it."
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #40
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's say every car got surveillance. Someone would have to observe all those cars, so a whole lot of people would suddenly have low-paying jobs where all they do is see if someone is speeding or driving against the rules. These people would have the most monotonous, boring jobs out there, and they'd barely be paying their bills. Do you think these guys would produce quality work? Do you think they'd be awesome at stopping people from breaking road rules, or do you think they'd be overwhelmed that almost every driver drives above the speed limit, rolls a stop sign, or fails to use their blinker at least once a day?

On top of that, there's the infrastructure investment that would be necessary. Watching every American drive every day will take more data processing than current wireless networks can handle. Even if we all put our phones down and never used WiFi again, there still isn't enough bandwidth to handle every car during rush hour in every major city, and you can forget about rural areas that have poor data connections.

That leaves us with an almost inevitable scandal. Surveillance supervisors will try to prioritize vehicles that are more likely to break driving rules. It would lead to a scandal where some whistleblower would claim that only people in fast cars or only people under 25 years old would be busted. We, as Americans, would be faced with a decision. Do we accept age discrimination the same way that we do with auto insurance or discrimination based on our freedom to choose a fast car, or do we challenge surveillance of American citizens?

I'll leave that to you.

In summary, if there is nationwide surveillance anytime soon, it'll be mediocre at best and it won't be effective. If it ever happens, though, I still expect Americans not to tolerate it.
Incorrect....

A simple algorithm with Google maps could track this data and issue tickets based on the post speed limit and how fast your going. Google = Skynet!
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #41
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Incorrect....

A simple algorithm with Google maps could track this data and issue tickets based on the post speed limit and how fast your going. Google = Skynet!
Then couldn't they also adjust your speed limiter remotely to the speed limit so nobody would ever speed again?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #42
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Haha! Not in SC. Exception- under a state of emergency via the president or governor of SC, they can use this method. However, the arresting officer must PERSONALLY hand you any remote camera ticket within one hour to you. So basically no camera tickets...at least not yet.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/31/3176.asp

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black box, ford, pfadt, spying