Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #15
LateralG

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z28
For those questioning the validity/significance of the bar in the car, I had a 1996 Corvette with the removable roof. Obviously the removable roof did not "tie" to any shock towers or anything of significance. That said, when I removed the roof on the sunny afternoons, the car was COMPLETELY different to drive. It handled much, much worse. It always amazed me....
LateralG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I'm sure you have some insight on that?
Yes, all of my data comes from friends inside the mothership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralG View Post
For those questioning the validity/significance of the bar in the car, I had a 1996 Corvette with the removable roof. Obviously the removable roof did not "tie" to any shock towers or anything of significance. That said, when I removed the roof on the sunny afternoons, the car was COMPLETELY different to drive. It handled much, much worse. It always amazed me....
Great example, however the 96 Corvette is a wet-noodle compared to even a 2015 Chevy Malibu. The saying "they don't make me like they use to" is a good thing when we are talking about Chassis and occupant safety.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralG View Post

Totally different, along with car construction in the 90's versus 20 years later. The roof added support and some protection in the event of a "roll-over". The front A-pillar can only support so much. I stick with my theory of supporting the passengers. I do understand how the roof being removed would affect the handling.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote