Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2022, 12:35 AM   #1
Nz2ssrs

Drives: 2012 2ssrs giovanna edition (japan)
Ss cat recommendations

Hi Guys, I have a 2012 ss and currently have a cat back borla exhaust with a single rear muffler each side (not sure of model but not atak) and am getting a tune done along with a cai.

I’m wanting a little more sound out of it before tuning it and the options are removal of second cat, breaking internals out of second cat or removing and fitting high flow cats.

I will most likely fit some headers down the line but not at the moment.

What’s everyone’s recommendations for a little more sound ?

From what I have read the factory cats won’t restrict flow too much with current setup but may once headsets are installed?

Keen on everyone’s thoughts

Thanks
Nz2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:00 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
The factory cats are really restrictive compared to high flow cats. And as far as sound goes only, the best sound I ever had was with a muffler delete with the factory cats. But I wouldn't even mess with any of that until you get ready to do longtubes because that is where you will pick up power with or without high flow cats and a tune. You won't gain anything really by removing the secondary cats or with a muffler delete, you would have to remove both sets of cats to gain anything at all but that would require a tune to get your check engine light to go off. Personally I would wait until you get your longtubes and going catless or high flow cats before you get your tune.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I agree with above, Do it at once, You can get a pair of Stainless Power LTH with Hi Flo cats, takes about 1.5 HRS to install then you can get the tune to handle the cats and LTH. You will need to Tune Check engine light out if you mess with factory cats. I do prefer cats on when installing LTH I am not a fan of the sound with them off.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Good advice on all the above... And yes, the stock cats are very restrictive with a 600 cell internals, whereas the HF ones are only 200 cell, so you can see the difference in flow. Trying to push all that exhaust through 600 little "straws" vs 200 bigger "straws" opens it up a lot for flow, and sound.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
American Racing Headers (ARH), Solo and JBA make high flow cats that connect to stock headers. I believe the ARH are a 2.75 in design but go back to 2.5in to connect to the factory catback.

If sound is what you want then high flows will certainly make it louder.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I did have the SOLO 's on my Camaro before the LT's, they fit nice and did make it louder.