Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
DonutSS

Drives: '12 ZL1 SIM ADM Built
CTS-V coupe and ZL1 road trip manners

I'm on the fence on which car to get. Neither car would be taken to the track but they will be used for road trips all over the country. Which car is most suited for comfort and long days in the saddle? Cts has two different seat options, are the recaros tolerable ? I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2" 240lbs.

Those of you who have owned both cars, which did you favor the most? I've owned an '11 SS convertible and hate the small trunk opening compared to the V's.
automatic ADM Built 750hp - Sold Last seen tearing up the streets of Atlanta
DonutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutSS View Post
I'm on the fence on which car to get. Neither car would be taken to the track but they will be used for road trips all over the country. Which car is most suited for comfort and long days in the saddle? Cts has two different seat options, are the recaros tolerable ? I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2" 240lbs.

Those of you who have owned both cars, which did you favor the most? I've owned an '11 SS convertible and hate the small trunk opening compared to the V's.
I Own a 2012 ZL1 & a 2012 CTSV sedan (no recaros) I would rather drive 13 hours in my Camaro Iam 6'4" and weight more then you LOL
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
jamekitz

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
I feel like I am in the minority when I say this, but I find the CTS seats to be intolerably uncomfortable. When I think of comfortable seats I would want to be in for long trips I think Volvo S60 or Lincoln MKS. GM's move to the ultra stiff seat in both their Cadillac and Buick lines (Lacrosse's are very comfortable) somewhat baffles me. The Camaros, on the other hand, are quite comfortable and supportive over long trips; the stock seats, however, arguably lacking some bolstering in heavy g turns.

Being a big dude and interested in long rides, I would highly recommend that you sit in the Recaros and feel them out before you buy them in either car. I am 6'2 and 180 and while the Recaros in the ZL1 are as comforting as an old grammy's hug when you initially sit in them, I think I would feel uncomfortable after a few hours of them never letting go of you. I've not tried it though, so that is only an assumption.
jamekitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I was in the exact situation and I chose the larger Camaro. Plus, I wanted a sports car, not a luxury car with a big engine.

I'm 6'3" and weigh more than you
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

I am 6 ft 270 and I find the CTSV very hard to get in and out of and the seats uncomfortible.

The Camaro is much easier to get in and out of, and Very comfortable on long trips.

My first ride in my ZL-1 was to Camaro Fest in Indy 2012 800+ miles one way, I really enjoyed the comfort.

Car just seems to Fit me.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
DonutSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
I was in the exact situation and I chose the larger Camaro. Plus, I wanted a sports car, not a luxury car with a big engine.

I'm 6'3" and weigh more than you
Hank, you had a GS vette convertible didn't you? Did I see that for sale over on CF? A GS vert is my 3rd choice as my C6 was an excellent road car, I could drive a whole tank of gas without needing to stop and stretch.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
DonutSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
I Own a 2012 ZL1 & a 2012 CTSV sedan (no recaros) I would rather drive 13 hours in my Camaro Iam 6'4" and weight more then you LOL
I've driven a CTSv sedan with recaros and that's why I'm concerned. My local dealer has a program car that's non-recaro but they seemed to be too flat..

My other driver is a '13 SRT8 Jeep and it's seats are almost perfect.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I had the recaro seats in my CTS-V coupe and have the factory seats in my camaro. I prefer the comfort of the ride and seats in the CTS-V. That recaro seat was very good. I don't see how you guys can say it was easier to get into the Camaro because the CTS-V would automaticially raise the steering wheel and slide the seat all the way back every time you opened the door. Camaro does not do that. I guess you tall tall guys just leave the seat all the way back all the time. In my opinion the ZL1 is a much better track car. CTS-V is a better road trip car.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Wow. My friend has a CTS_V with Recaros, and I swore that they were the finest bucket seats that ever graced an automobile. The feel of the seats were incredible; They were supportive and firm without feeling like sitting on sheetmetal. The Cadillac seats were what convinced me that I had to get the recaros for my ZL. Ivory CTS-V Recaros w/Alcantara are a sight to behold!

To sum up I'd say that it would be a toss up between the CTS-V and the ZL; Personally I'd give a slight edge in comfort to the Cadillac.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
My father has a CTS-V and I have driven the ZL1. I actually preferred the CTS-V to the ZL1 for comfort.

Last edited by 31B; 02-10-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: mistake
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Quote:
Hank, you had a GS vette convertible didn't you? Did I see that for sale over on CF? A GS vert is my 3rd choice as my C6 was an excellent road car, I could drive a whole tank of gas without needing to stop and stretch.
Yup I did. I really liked the car, and if I didn't have a little one I ride around with, I'd still be in a 2 seater.
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If you are not going to track the car, I don't see the need for Recaros. Why get a tight fitting seat when you won't be pushing 1G in the car?

I find my ZL1 very comfortable for a sportscar (non-Recaro), but have not gone on any long trips yet. Intuitively it would make sense that the Cadillac would be more comfortable. That said, you have to go sit in both of them before you lay out that kind of money.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
When I want Comfort I take the Benz! When I want to haul ass the ZL-1's chain gets taken off!! What was the question again??
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Love my zl1 for roadtrips. Mines a 2012 so no recaros.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote