Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #211
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Thanks guys. How about the installation charges does that sound reasonable?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #212
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I got my long tube headers installed by a shop that has never installed headers on a 5th gen V6 for about $200. I'm pretty sure my cost was on the low side of the spectrum for shops installing headers on a v6.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #213
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Like cisco said, it depends on the amount of competition from other shops around there. Here I could probably get a set installed for 350-400 but if I drive two hours to houston, where there are an abundance of shops, I have gotten quoted as low as 245. Just depends honestly. That seems like it's on the high end of the spectrum but they might be giving you a high estimate since they've never done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
I got my long tube headers installed by a shop that has never installed headers on a 5th gen V6 for about $200. I'm pretty sure my cost was on the low side of the spectrum for shops installing headers on a v6.
Yea that kinda is on the low side of the spectrum. But that's a great deal for you.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #214
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks for the input. Not much competetion. I found one other shop but drove past it & did not like the looks of the set-up at all. I know looks can be decieving, but looked pretty bad. They also never responded to the voice message I left. Not sure I would even want to drive my Camaro into the alley to go through the shop garage door.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 03-05-2014 at 04:54 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #215
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I think that tune quote is on the higher end. I think most will charge the first tune around $350-500, depending on what's all done to the car. Basic bolt-ons should be on the lower side, no matter if they've never tuned a v6 Camaro before. If they've used HP Tuner, they should be familiar with most of it.

In most cases, the high end for just header install is $400. putting on a catback or axleback is very easy, and shouldn't take more than an hour's worth of labor charges. Honestly, a shop should be able to do the exhaust and sway bar in an hour. Seems like they are giving you the high price/time of $400/4hrs for the headers. an hour for the exhaust/$100. and an hour for the sway bar/$100.

if you are able to haggle the price, i'd ask them if they would take $1000 for everything. I think that's a fair price for those installs and the tune. You aren't getting anything major done, and it's all direct bolt ons. no fab work. A guy can do those installs in his garage, with no problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #216
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks. Good thoughts.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #217
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Tbh.. I hope they get it out this month so shops have at least some time before camaro5 fest. I would like all v6s to at least get time for real proper tuning. Especially me. I need to fix this timing that keeps being pulled ramdomly. Especially during heat soaking
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #218
RubyCamaro
Jan

Weekend bump!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #219
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Would love to get some sort of status toward a release. A lot riding on this release. And this would open the door for more LLT mods.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #220
Turbowolf71

Drives: 2016 2ss Hyper Blue
Anyone hear anything on this yet?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #221
RubyCamaro
Jan

Not lately. Last word sounded like this month sometime??????
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #222
RubyCamaro
Jan

Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #223
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Anyone know where to find the steps to ready all the Readiness sensors?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #224
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I think that tune quote is on the higher end. I think most will charge the first tune around $350-500, depending on what's all done to the car. Basic bolt-ons should be on the lower side, no matter if they've never tuned a v6 Camaro before. If they've used HP Tuner, they should be familiar with most of it.

Shops that tune generally do not have unlimited V6 licenses in general (I don't know ANY actually, and I sell HPT license credits and the software and work with many different shops), so right off the top it costs them $100 in licensing for the ability to flash the car (and doesn't take into account any other costs, such as them trying to pay back the laptop/wideband/whatever that they are using). Dyno time will run $100-150 depending on the shop. For me, at your $350 quote (and someone said $300?), the hours spent tuning the engine and trans on the dyno and then on the street can only pay $100-150 (after license and dyno time), so I'd rather just do other work that pays. Additionally, all of the good shops that I work with (including Performance Auto Sport where my home office is) are BUSY. If you want to price haggle, most of them will typically move on to booking the next guy that pays what the work costs. That's not always the case, but I have seen shops (that's plural) do it more than once.

The last assumption ("If they've used HP Tuner, they should be familiar with most of it ") is the biggest one, and it got a lot of "tooners" into trouble early on with things like the 2.2 ecotec turbo Cobalts that are DI but mistakenly fueled like a traditional method of injection. Think of HPTuner's like CAD... just because you draw boxes or an object all day with it doesn't mean that you can just spit out drawings for a coke machine or whatever on command. HPtuner's is a calibration editor. It doesn't do any tuning. That part is 100% up to the guy behind the keyboard.

Just some food for thought here.

Best of luck guys.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote