Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
mohawkcr

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Spoiler Question

Hello, hoping someone can help me. Just ordered a 1ss 1LE. I want to put the Zl1 1LE type spoiler on the car, but I have read that the mounting holes from the original spoiler will be exposed. Does anyone know of a wing type spoiler like the ZL1 1LE that will match up with the SS 1LE? If not, can the exposed holes be filled and painted so they are hidden? I read about this topic in an earlier post, but it turned into an argument about how people shouldn't mod their car and just buy a Zl1. Hopefully we can avoid that!
mohawkcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
1ss 1le wing is to far towards the rear being a "duckbill" type spoiler. The zl1 1le wing matches the standard SS stanchion mounting holes. Your best bet would be to find a regular SS or zl1 trunk lid in your color to swap.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
1ss 1le wing is to far towards the rear being a "duckbill" type spoiler. The zl1 1le wing matches the standard SS stanchion mounting holes. Your best bet would be to find a regular SS or zl1 trunk lid in your color to swap.
Agreed, you really want to do a trunk swap OP.

The 1LE spoiler is good looking, and I think plenty of SS guys would be interested. You can ask your dealership to NOT install the spoiler end pieces during pdi too, that way you don't have to remove them from your car(2-sided tape) and just swap the whole kit ready to install to new buyer.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
mohawkcr

If Icant do a swap, is it possible to fill the holes and paint them to match? I read welding the holes is the best option?
Old 12-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Don't attack me for a suggestion:

Depending on the color of the car you ordered, you could use a wrap type of tape job to cover the holes. Say a red car with a black spoiler and an underlining area of black as a "shadow" under the spoiler. Think of the old Dodge tail stripe, but just on top of the rear deck.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
mohawkcr

Hey, I will take any suggestions! Much appreciated
Old 12-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Here is a couple of new Dodge kits. I bet any wrap place could make you something exactly like you want.
Attached Images

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Agreed, you really want to do a trunk swap OP.

The 1LE spoiler is good looking, and I think plenty of SS guys would be interested. You can ask your dealership to NOT install the spoiler end pieces during pdi too, that way you don't have to remove them from your car(2-sided tape) and just swap the whole kit ready to install to new buyer.
This.
Ideal would be to find a trunk lid from a wreck in your color and keep the original for later sale/trade in value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkcr View Post
If Icant do a swap, is it possible to fill the holes and paint them to match? I read welding the holes is the best option?
Back with the '04-'06 GTO's this was a popular mod. Many would remove the factory spoiler and have a body shop fill the holes and spray the lid. You couldn't tell there were ever holes there.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
mohawkcr

Thanks for the info, at least I know filling the holes can be done if need be
Old 12-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Someone made this chart to show to difference in holes between the SS 1LE and a SS or ZL1 with the 3 post spoiler. Its a little off as far as exact locations. Problem is with just drilling and filling is GM starting reinforcing the holes with internal stiffeners in 2018 to support the wing. Ideally would need a trunk lid from 2018 or newer from an SS or ZL1 that would have the correct holes and stiffeners. I found a 2018 SS donor lid (red) on FB just by chance.
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote