The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlord View Post
How would a replacement engine affect "numbers matching" on a C7 or does that only matter on cars like a C1, C2, C3, etc.? Maybe it really doesn't matter, but I think I would want my numbers to match. So, I think I would have Chevy and my dealer fix whatever problem there was with my engine rather than replace it with a non numbers matching engine. Also, lets say a few years down the road I want to trade in my C7 on a ZO6/ZO7, or a ZR1 should there be one, how would a non numbers matching engine affect trade in value? I don't think I'd want to get into a situation where I have to explain why the numbers don't match. If Chevy wants to replace the engine, I think I'd insist Chevy make my engine number match the rest of my C7 if that is possible. If not, I'd make GM fix my engine.
Unless you plan on keeping your C7 30 to 50 years I do not see how numbers matching would matter. Now as far as deminished value on a trade or sale because of engine replacement, thats a different story because in todays market everyone looks at Carfax for history. Even if the car is bullet proof it detracts from the value.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCC View Post
Unless you plan on keeping your C7 30 to 50 years I do not see how numbers matching would matter. Now as far as deminished value on a trade or sale because of engine replacement, thats a different story because in todays market everyone looks at Carfax for history. Even if the car is bullet proof it detracts from the value.
And, in a private sale rather than a trade in, I probably would opt for a numbers matching C7, as who knows what the real story is that required a replacement engine - makes you wonder if is was an engine defect or the person mistreated it - So, I would keep the original engine if at all possible or make Chevy pay beyond replacement - I would opt for a new C7 if it came to an engine replacement.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Quote:
And, in a private sale rather than a trade in, I probably would opt for a numbers matching C7, as who knows what the real story is that required a replacement engine - makes you wonder if is was an engine defect or the person mistreated it - So, I would keep the original engine if at all possible or make Chevy pay beyond replacement - I would opt for a new C7 if it came to an engine replacement.
Well there has been a couple C7 that have had engine replacements and Chevy has not given the individuals the option for a new C7. One other thing is the average used car buyer normally doesn't know a engine has been changed (Carfax has a poor track record) and any engine replacement to date will be year correct. Now there are some of us who will go to the extent of checking the VIN records in the system, but the average person will not and if it's a GM certified car they don't care.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Quote:
X So, I would keep the original engine if at all possible or make Chevy pay beyond replacement - I would opt for a new C7 if it came to an engine replacement.
After over a month at the dealership, GM decided to replace my engine. The major problem in repairing the original engine is parts, I found out that there are many parts that are one time use (Torque once) plus the bearings and crank, it appears sourcing all the parts in a timely manner could not happen. After talking to my dealers service manager I called customer support and filed for a formal GM Case number, within 24 hours my dealership was told they would be receiving a new engine so no need to repaire the original, just reassemblr it and send back.

With all that said GM has not suggested a replacement car (Being it still does not qualify under the Lemon laws)