The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
Dashcams for your car- several requests

I got several more Pm's asking me about the cameras I had in my car. I have the DVR -027.....you can look t up on different sites- paid 53.00 and I've had it over a month. It runs all the time.....I like it closed (screen shut) when driving, but it would come in handy if you wanted to see who circled your car or hung out by it. It has about 100 degrees of view and if you came back and your car was damaged you have it on video. If you had a wreck and not your fault like someone ran a light or pulled out in front of you....you got that too. just posting for your info

http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
dragrcr
2SS 6M

Drives: 2010 2SS 6M
I have the F302A in my Challenger and I like it. But I do not have it set to record on motion because I had gaps in the files when I was driving. Without motion setting it works fine. If you only used it for security when you were not around it would be fine. But I bought mine for personal liability and to take to court if I got a ticket etc. So I want good video from when I am driving. One thing about the F302A is it records sound very well (and that is adjustable). I think you could easily hear a conversation with an officer if you were pulled over. I am not sure if it would work well for when you are not driving because it seems to want to see the WHOLE image move (like the car is moving) and not just something in the image.

I also bought the G1W and I like that one too. BUT it has too much EMF (screws up the FM reception) for me to recommend it. If you ONLY listen to satellite radio or cd's/iPod then it would not be a problem. This one does not record sound nearly as good. It does have a more sophisticated movement sensor/logic. If I just pass my finger in front of it, it will start recording. This one will zoom 4X, but defaults to wide angle. So, if you grabbed it out of the car to take stills or video you can zoom. It does not have a removable battery and battery life is only about 15-20 minutes.

Bought both off eBay Via the comparison link above and from china and hongkong and they took a while to get here (one took longer because it seemed to get hung up in customs), but both work good and were worth the 50-70$
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
topry

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2LT velocity yellow
How did you run the power cord to it? Was wondering how difficult it is to reasonably hide?
topry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

I ran a hot/ground wire to a loose cig outlet and mounted in behind the carpet pass side- ran the camera cord over there.....
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
louloumax

Drives: 2014 corvette coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
I ran a hot/ground wire to a loose cig outlet and mounted in behind the carpet pass side- ran the camera cord over there.....
any pix to help us get the big picture?
louloumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Here is the one I have.......all of them are very good- Mine has IR for nighttime also. I got some video last night while in the movie theatre of some guys taking pictures of my car, and standing by it- left in a black GMC Pk Trk.....

Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
RetiredTHPLT

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 Lexus
asptroopa1, I can see it is a good thing I didn't work for you. I wouldn't have gotten away with anything and would have stayed in trouble all the time.
RetiredTHPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

- see if this one works.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

wow I guess ill try the link in the middle of the email.
and see what that does its on youtube look up DVR-027 dashcam video
Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
dragrcr
2SS 6M

Drives: 2010 2SS 6M
INSTALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topry View Post
How did you run the power cord to it? Was wondering how difficult it is to reasonably hide?
I cannot give details for a corvette, but it should be similar.
I installed one in my Challenger and also my Dodge Truck (the 2 cameras listed in above response). In both cases it just plugs into the cigarette lighter or an available power outlet. I wanted my cameras to come on when I start the car and drive, so it needs to plug into an outlet that is switched off when the car is off (not powered all the time). If you want it to record on motion when you are not around then it would have to plug into an outlet that is powered all the time. But then it would record when you are driving too.

In both cases I mounted it to the windshield just left of the rearview mirror. Just be sure you put it far enough forward to be able to use your sunvisor. In both cases it was very easy to tuck the power cord into the front of the headliner and then behind the A-pillar and then in behind the weatherstrip going down to the kick panel and under the dash over to the console. The cord is only in view for 2 or 3 inches and mostly hidden. You may need to use a popsicle stick or broad screwdriver blade to help out in some areas and possibly tie wrap it up while under the dash etc. It was very easy to do.

In my dodge Challenger the Cigarette lighter receptacle was switched off with the car off, and the other 2 were on all the time. In my dodge truck all 4 outlets were switched off with the engine off.

Please note, there was a very trick feature in the challenger that is worth knowing about and the Corvette may be similar : in the fuse panel for the cigarette lighter (only), the fuse could be repositioned to provide power all the time, or to be off when the car is off. My truck may be the same but I never checked this.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #11
dopodd

Drives: White
http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html - thoughts?
I'd also like a dashcam, something that sits in the rear corner of the interior, mounted high, facing forward.
Motion sensitive, it would record to storage hidden in the trunk. I'd want to be able to identify anybody entering the car. Maybe another motion sensor in the grille so that anybody walking by would also be recorded.
This would obviously be pricey, though.

Last edited by dopodd; 06-20-2014 at 02:11 AM.
dopodd is offline   Reply With Quote