The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
C7 MUSCLE

Drives: 2014 Cyber Gray Coupe - 2LT Manual
Intrusion detection system

So I learned a few things, but still have a question. 2LTs and 3LTs have an interior motion detection system for security. Just learned that it does not work with the top off. Makes no sense to me, but maybe GM didn't want the occasional falling leaf or bird to set it off. There is a microswitch in the driver side hole for the roof that disables the system when the roof is off. I saw where someone came up with the idea of sticking one of those plastic molly bolts in there to make the switch if you want the use the system when the roof is off.

Question I have that I have not found the answer to: Where is the motion sensor that is inside the vehicle? Is it the little globe on the dash? Anyone know for sure?
C7 MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I believe it has micro switches on doors, decibel detection for window breakage, etc that work in conjunction with the regular theft deterrent, on 2LT and 3LT models, that if the car's geometry is moved too far it goes off without key fob.... i.e.... car being jacked up, someone sitting down in the car, towed, etc.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Forum posts have said the mirror, the Molly was my idea, works perfect.......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
There are 2 sensors in the plastic housing above the inside mirror. You can see them by looking through what appear to be little cooling vents near the map lights. These are probably what the other forum posts are referring to.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
C7 MUSCLE

I thought those "sensors" by the mirrors where additional microphones for the Bluetooth. Sensors make more sense. Speaking of sensors, what is that inside the small grill on the back, upper interior door panel?
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
purpleRac3r

Good question. In your photo they actually look like the same thing up by the mirror. If they are, perhaps the motion sensors target from multiple directions. It's conceivable they are microphones for the Bose system's noise cancellation. I will add that to the list of questions for the dealer tomorrow.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
purpleRac3r

Ok, I was able to learn a few things today. The image by C7 Muscle is the noise cancellation microphone for the voice control and hands free phone system. Also noise cancellation for OnStar. These allow the system to filter out background noise during calls etc. They are located in the upper corner of each door panel. The little sensors located in the vent grills on the trim up by the inside mirror are the infrared sensors for motion detector portion of the enhanced security system on 2LT & 3LT cars. If hard-wiring a radar detector at the mirror, do not tap their wires, as problems will occur with the security system.

Hope this helps clear a few things up!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
C7 MUSCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Ok, I was able to learn a few things today. The image by C7 Muscle is the noise cancellation microphone for the voice control and hands free phone system. Also noise cancellation for OnStar. These allow the system to filter out background noise during calls etc. They are located in the upper corner of each door panel. The little sensors located in the vent grills on the trim up by the inside mirror are the infrared sensors for motion detector portion of the enhanced security system on 2LT & 3LT cars. If hard-wiring a radar detector at the mirror, do not tap their wires, as problems will occur with the security system.

Hope this helps clear a few things up!
purpleRac3r - good stuff. Thanks for finding that out.