Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Brand New SS in the Cards, Looking For Opinions on this N/A build!

So as always I have come back to start my planning and get your guys input. There is possibly a brand new SS in the cards, and I am interested in a naturally aspirated, stock cubes build. So here is the parts list for just the engine mods so far:

Custom dyno tuning of course!

CNC Ported Cylinder Heads - Suggestions please! I do not know where to go for a reasonably priced, but still good port job! I am willing to shell out, but don't want to overspend for crazy flow I won't be able to take advantage of!

Custom Grind Cam, as aggressive as possible before noticeable lope - Have no idea whom to go with, as it seems there are many good options! (And up rated valve springs of course)

CAI - Cold Air Inductions or Vararam seem to be top picks!

MagnaFlow 2.5" Catback Exhaust, preferably with quad tips

1-7/8" Headers, high flow cats, American racing headers or Kooks!

BBK 95mm Throttle Body, not sure how much of a difference this will make, but any little bit adds up.

Thank you for having a look and I look forward to your guys input on the build! And if anyone has a similar build feel free to throw out BHP / TQ number estimations

Last edited by 47AJV8; 04-28-2014 at 12:11 AM.
47AJV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
American Racing Headers or Kooks for long tubes.

Vararam, Rotofab, or Cold Air Inductions for an intake system
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
These are what I got and recommend.
Ordered all from Apex. Fast shipping. Best customer service.
Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers
http://www.apex-speed.com/kooks-cama...6.2l-6511.html
High flow cats
http://www.apex-speed.com/kooks-cama...6513-oemc.html
CAI intake
http://www.apex-speed.com/cold-air-i...ck-finish.html
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
There's much better CNC'd heads out there. You don't see a lot of them in use because their ports are fairly large and lower velocity than they should be. Plus you'd need to send them off to get milled separately for a compression boost so aside from the resale value of your stock heads its not really a deal.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
what is the purpose of this possible build?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
47AJV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
American Racing Headers or Kooks for long tubes.

Vararam, Rotofab, or Cold Air Inductions for an intake system
Cool, thank you very much I shall add those to my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
These are what I got and recommend.
Ordered all from Apex. Fast shipping. Best customer service.
Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers
http://www.apex-speed.com/kooks-cama...6.2l-6511.html
High flow cats
http://www.apex-speed.com/kooks-cama...6513-oemc.html
CAI intake
http://www.apex-speed.com/cold-air-i...ck-finish.html
Thank you for the suggestion, and the links! The Kooks headers seem like good value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
There's much better CNC'd heads out there. You don't see a lot of them in use because their ports are fairly large and lower velocity than they should be. Plus you'd need to send them off to get milled separately for a compression boost so aside from the resale value of your stock heads its not really a deal.
That would make a lot of sense then, whose ported heads would you suggest? I'm not looking for anything insane, just more flow to take advantage of the cam and other mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
what is the purpose of this possible build?
Good power, NA, street, daily derivable in the summer, eat up some M3s, you know The reason I am not going FI is because I really want to uh... Keep my license! :P When the power gets too high suddenly I find myself 20 over all the time, on a good day! I figure keeping the power more reasonable, and having a nice NA build would be a good change. And if later I want more, well I'll just grab an FI cam and see how twin turbos feel
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #7
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
Cool, thank you very much I shall add those to my list!

Thank you for the suggestion, and the links! The Kooks headers seem like good value!

That would make a lot of sense then, whose ported heads would you suggest? I'm not looking for anything insane, just more flow to take advantage of the cam and other mods

Good power, NA, street, daily derivable in the summer, eat up some M3s, you know The reason I am not going FI is because I really want to uh... Keep my license! :P When the power gets too high suddenly I find myself 20 over all the time, on a good day! I figure keeping the power more reasonable, and having a nice NA build would be a good change. And if later I want more, well I'll just grab an FI cam and see how twin turbos feel
There it is in bold print, might as well just save yourself the trouble and go that route now since its already on your mind
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Why don't you buy the car first?

Just sayin...,

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
You can go 20 over with out fi
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
47AJV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012InfernoSS View Post
There it is in bold print, might as well just save yourself the trouble and go that route now since its already on your mind
Thing is I just really, really want to have an N/A build under my belt. Honestly have never done a proper one, it's always just been things leading up to FI, and I do need to keep the speed and power down, well because you cannot have one without the other if you're me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Why don't you buy the car first?

Just sayin...,
Well seeing as I've already done a '10, '11 and have a '13 in the works I have discovered that planning the build ahead of time saves a ton of time, and money. So I would actually highly suggest this method of pre-planning to anyone who is going to build a modified car! I can lend even lend a hand :P
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Good luck with your build! Please let us know if you have any questions regarding our CAI, which by the way thank you very much for considering it as part of your build! Good luck!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post

Honestly for your goals I would say keep your money or do gears if you want a daily driver for fun. But if you just want to spend money then WCCH, Darin Morgan, Texas Speed...
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
WCCH West Coast Cylinder Heads stage 2

Pat G. Custom cam

ADM cold air intake

Kooks headers and exhaust

BTR valve train components
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspirated, build, naturally