The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Stingray Photos, Videos, Media

Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Ret9580

Drives: '99 Sienna till '15 Ray is here
Corvette Museum Photo Album

The Corvette Museum offers a photo album of your corvette being built for $700. You have to pay at least 10 days prior to your corvettes production day. I was wondering who may have purchased this and was it worth it to you.....was it really your car being produced?
Ret9580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
As this was my first brand new Corvette, I had every intention to get the album, and the Buyers Tour together as a package. Unfortunately, my car was built too early, and the program didn't start until well after mine was built. That said, to me it would have been worthe it, as I intend to keep my Stingray for a very long time, and it has a special place in my heart. However if you are the kind of person who trades theirs in every few years for a newer one, the value may not be there.

The Museum does everything they can to take the photos of your actual car, but cannot guarantee it, as internal plant issues may cause a delay or other change in the production schedule. A couple of my friends have done it, and the book is very well done. I realky wish I could have gotten it with my Stingray!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
RidgebackKing

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
The Museum does everything they can to take the photos of your actual car, but cannot guarantee it, as internal plant issues may cause a delay or other change in the production schedule.
$700 for a book of pictures that may or may not be your car?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Ret9580

Drives: '99 Sienna till '15 Ray is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
As this was my first brand new Corvette, I had every intention to get the album, and the Buyers Tour together as a package. Unfortunately, my car was built too early, and the program didn't start until well after mine was built. That said, to me it would have been worthe it, as I intend to keep my Stingray for a very long time, and it has a special place in my heart. However if you are the kind of person who trades theirs in every few years for a newer one, the value may not be there.

The Museum does everything they can to take the photos of your actual car, but cannot guarantee it, as internal plant issues may cause a delay or other change in the production schedule. A couple of my friends have done it, and the book is very well done. I realky wish I could have gotten it with my Stingray!
Oh yeah, I'm keeping this one till I'm in a pine box or my ashes are spread in Fenway Park. It will be willed to my oldest.
Ret9580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
I got the album just because I thought it would be neat to see it being built.
-It definitely is your car. They keep track of your car and when it is built. They gave me the most accurate information of the actual production day and emailed pictures when it was built.
-I'd say that if the car is special to you, then consider getting it, as you could not go back and order pictures of your car being built at a later time period.
-But if you just plan on keeping it for a few years or if $700 is a significant amount of money then don't get it. The actual cost of the book and shipping was probably only about $50. So, it's not "worth" it. However, $700 for "baby pictures" was reasonable to me.

The pictures to me ended up being worth over $700 to me. I ordered a 2LT and my dealer ended up ordering a 3LT. I could tell by the dash in the pictures. I argued with the dealer, and it sounded like, he was going to wait until it was delivered and give me a take-it-or-leave it deal. But having known that it was a 3LT before it was even shipped, gave me the leverage to lower the sales price to well below MSRP. So in my unusual experience, it was well worth over $700.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
RidgebackKing

Drives: My wife crazy
Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but how do you know "it definitely is your car"? They expressly say that the pictures may not be of your car but they'll do their best to get "some". Heck, even for the Buyers Tour, they say that you may not get to see your actual car being built but you will have a great factory experience. I'd like to believe that it would be my car but $700 just seems extremely steep when they don't guarantee its your car.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
If you're concerned about the authenticity of the photos, you could ask the corvette Museum about your concerns. My contact there was
Lori Bieschke
National Corvette Museum
Delivery Program Manager
Phone: 1-800-205-4248 or
270-467-8851
Email: Lori@corvettemuseum.org

I know it's my car in the pictures because:
-The first page of the book is a letter of authenticity from the Corvette Museum saying it is.
-The VIN in the front window is clearly visible in as they install the roof panel
-Several pictures have parts that are being installed that are labelled with my VIN including the engine.

Granted, in this day and age, these could have been photoshopped. But I doubt they would do that, since they didn't even bother to spellcheck the narration in the book, and some pictures are blurry.

But, honestly, if you're that paranoid, then don't buy it. It's supposed to be a fun keepsake of your car, and if you're going to wonder if you wasted $700 or if maybe they're just stock photos that were doctored and you got suckered by a non-profit organization, then it's no longer fun and wouldn't be worth it.

To me, it was worth it to see my car being built. It was worth it to have a picture of the car with the odometer at 0 (I know it's not a stock photo because others have posted their pictures and they all look different). It was worth it to see the first person to sit in my car. And it was worth it being updated to the day as to the build process. It was worth it to know before I picked it up that what the dealer ordered wasn't what I had requested. And it was worth it to think that since the workers knew that the car was being followed and photographed then perhaps they took a little bit of extra care with it.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #8
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
I know someone who takes the pictures for the Museum photo albums and he follows the car on the line to get the pics at the various build stations.
He was not available to take photos when my Stingray was built or I would have paid to have the photo album.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
As of yet, I've not seem any albums where the pix were not of the actual car. Several friends in my Corvette club have the book for their C6s and in the one who got the Buyers Tour too, they followed their car, verified the VIN early on, and are even in a couple of the photos themselves!

When I talked to Lori about last summer regarding my Stingray, she indicated it is extremely rare the actual car is not followed, and at that point they either refund the money or the owner opts to have a car that looks like theirs photographed.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
When I was on a VIP Tour in September 2011, our tour guide had a camera with him and was taking photos of one particular car for a Museum Photo Album.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Jerseyed

Drives: 2010 Lexus, 2014 Z51 C7 on order
I ordered the album a month ago and am looking forward to getting it (TPW 5/26). I think $700 is a lot, but worth it considering the nature of the beast being produced.
Jerseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
Emmdmd

Drives: 2015 Z06
My first corvette and I bought the photo album and Buyers Tour. Unfortunately, the ice storm in the south stopped my tour dead in its tracks when my flight was canceled, but I received the album. I am happy I purchased the album, though for $700 you'd think the pictures would be spot on, though two were slightly blurry. This is my car. Am I 100% sure? Of course not, but I doubt they would schedule my Buyers Tour and not have the cameraman taking the pictures with me there. Also, My contact Lori states it is extremely rare that the car is not photographed, and if that were the case she would let me know and give me a refund. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be truthful. That being said, I would definitely recommend the album if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, as I do. Even if you don't, I think it's a great feature when selling the car. I do feel that the Museum tends to overprice their products....
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
fcu678
5Th Gen (Craig)

Drives: 2014 C7
I'm definitely getting the album but was trying to decide on the buyers tour too. Anyone do both??

Thanks
Craig

fcu678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Jtown

Drives: CrystalRed14
I did both the Buyers Tour and the Photo Album. My tour guide on the tour also took all the photos. A believe it was worth every penny. My tour was spread over a Friday and Monday which added to my travel costs and still would consider both again. Got to be the first to start the car after it was built and took the photo of the dash showing Zero (0) miles. The guide took a photo me in the car and that is included in the album along with the dash photo. The album sits on are Family Room Coffee Table and has been looked at by everyone that comes to the house. Brings back the great memories of the Build Tour and all the workers that I meet. C7 Crystal Red Coupe, Z51.
Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote