The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
The Bullitt and The Boss: Two more new Ford Mustangs for 2007

Name:  112_0701_01z+bullit_mustang_profile.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  112_0701_01l+boss_mustang+side_view.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  39.0 KB

The Bullitt and The Boss: Two more new Ford Mustangs for 2007

Photography by Evan Klein

The Mustang continues to be one of the few bright spots in Ford's product range, and Dearborn intends to make the most of the reborn ponycar's popularity. The recently announced 325-horsepower Shelby GT will be joined by two more Mustang variants in 2007-an all-new Bullitt and the long-rumored Boss.

The new Bullitt will be the best interpretation up to this time of the iconic 1968 390 GT driven by Steve McQueen in the movie that still sets enthusiasts' pulses racing for its real-world chase sequence through the streets of San Francisco.

Insiders who've seen styling mockups report the 2007 Bullitt features a plain grille without galloping pony badge or spotlights and a black-painted panel between the taillights, just like McQueen's '68. Naturally, the car will be available in Highland Green.

More significant, though, will be the new Boss, which will introduce Ford's all-new 5.0-liter Hurricane V-8.

Due late in the year, the limited-edition Boss will get a tuned 425- to 435-horsepower version of the Hurricane, a stripped-down interior (though air-conditioning will be available), and less sound deadening.

The idea is to replicate the original Boss Mustang's race-special feel. Only 1000 cars will be built.

Slightly detuned from Boss spec, the Hurricane will become the regular GT's engine in 2008, when the Mustang will get a major face-lift. Insiders report every exterior panel is to be changed and updated, with the base cars getting a more aggressive look similar to that of the current Shelby GT500. The GT500, meantime, will become even more extreme looking.

An all-new Mustang is due 2010, a year after the new Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger launch.

Why Mustang is making life tough for Chevy and Dodge

The Mustang is cheap to build. And that's causing major headaches for planners at Chevrolet and Dodge as they work on their own, more sophisticated, musclecars.

Whispers out of Auburn Hills hint DaimlerChrysler couldn't figure out how to price a V-6 Challenger within $5000 of a base Mustang and now won't even bother offering an entry-level model. The problem is the Challenger's platform, which will underpin the next-gen Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, features a more expensive independent rear-suspension setup.

Dodge marketers figure the Challenger will appeal most to baby boomers who have the money to splash on a well-specified V-8, anyway. But this also limits the car's potential sale and makes the already wafer-thin profit margins even thinner.

Chevy faces a similar cost problem with the independent rearend Zeta platform of the new Camaro. The Zeta architecture will be more widely used, helping costs, but insiders admit GM will struggle to get a base V-6 Camaro near $20,000, mainly because the logical engine for the car-the DOHC, 3.6-liter high-feature V-6-ain't cheap, nor is the new six-speed automatic it needs.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
Not on this site, but I called it.

A 40th Anny Bullitt
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
More significant, though, will be the new Boss, which will introduce Ford's all-new 5.0-liter Hurricane V-8.

Due late in the year, the limited-edition Boss will get a tuned 425- to 435-horsepower version of the Hurricane, a stripped-down interior (though air-conditioning will be available), and less sound deadening.

The idea is to replicate the original Boss Mustang's race-special feel. Only 1000 cars will be built.
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Only 1000 will be built??? All the Ford fans are pissed right now because everyone wants a GT500, but no one will give one up for less than 20K over sticker price. Now, here we go again. I just said it a couple days ago....Ford's gonna build these two cars and not make enough. This is gonna hike up the price and piss off the potential buyers..........AGAIN. I don't see many of the mid level income families being able to afford this one anytime soon. What'cha think? Another $50K car? Uh..yeah...on the window............... PLUS another 20K due to "current markup value".

Ok. I know there's a lot of you out there who are saying, "that's the way it goes, there Tag." Yeah, I know. But, what do you think would happen if Ford managed to squeeze a few more than 1000 out of their doors. So it won't be a limited production. It won't be valued as much. A bunch of people will have them. Who cares? What I'm trying to say is this... Build enough so your average mid level income family guy can get one. Everyone in town is going to want one. Sure, with only 1000 made, it'll jack up the price...unless you put out a few more. Granted that'll cost more from Ford. But that'll come back to Ford in sales. And... in return, what do you get? If you can keep someone from going to another manufacturer (ie: GM, Dodge, DCX), then you just stole their business and most likely made a future customer. That is golden.

My thought process might be completely off the sensible path, here. But, this is the way I see it. GM built enough SS's in 02 where if you wanted one, you could get one...and not have to hand over your son/daughters college tuition on top of MSRP! Here's to you Ford.........
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Can you imagine what the “Greedy Ford Dealers” are going to charge for the BOSS? Ford is only going to make 1000 of them. Most “Greedy Ford Dealers” are charging 20k+ for the GT 500 and Ford puts out 10,000 of those a year. It’s going to be a sad day for Ford fans when the BOSS is released. Hopefully there are some Ford dealers out there that want to make a customer for life and sell this thing at no more than MSRP…
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Mestizo

Quote:
the limited-edition Boss will get a tuned 425- to 435-horsepower version of the Hurricane,

Slightly detuned from Boss spec, the Hurricane will become the regular GT's engine in 2008
Slightly detuned?

Models:
Base V6 (210 hp) ~$20K
Base GT (300 hp) ~$26K
Shelby GT (325 hp) ~$29K
Bullitt (?hp) $?
Boss (~430 hp) $?
Shelby GT500 (500 hp) $40K

Hmm...so there has to be a price increase on both, but cannot exceed the $40K out the door price of the Cobra.

Ok, now that cards are being show on Ford's side. Here's a follow-up on the Hurricane engine which was renamed to Boss due to Hurricane Katrina.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...610310352/1148

It states that the engine packs 340-500hp(I'm guessing that's where the "tuning" comes into play). So now a bar has been set by Ford, how will the others respond?

Remember, if all is true a 340hp version will be in GTs in 2008. LS2 Baby!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Can you imagine what the “Greedy Ford Dealers” are going to charge for the BOSS? Ford is only going to make 1000 of them. Most “Greedy Ford Dealers” are charging 20k+ for the GT 500 and Ford puts out 10,000 of those a year. It’s going to be a sad day for Ford fans when the BOSS is released. Hopefully there are some Ford dealers out there that want to make a customer for life and sell this thing at no more than MSRP…
^^^^^
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
Mestizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^^^^^
That's funny......as long as you were saying "WORD". I've never seen that one before.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^^^^^
For a minute there I thought you were giving me a hint on my penmanship…
Old 12-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yeah. haha... I want a "word" smiley on here. A bunch of us have good things to say and I'd like that smiley to post up. Since we don't have one, I went and found my own....
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #10
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Those are two nice "follow-up" Mustangs. Ford knows how to keep interest in the Mustang alive.

But, offering them in such limited numbers is stupid IMO. The majority of Mustang loyalists will be "left out". Rest assured, they'll receive a HUGE mark-up just like the Shelby. STUPID.

Ford should offer them to anyone who wants one. Why not offer it as an option when customers are "building" their Mustangs?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote