#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #1
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Adjustable Engine Sound ??

How's it going everyone? Got my Shadow Grey Metallic Z 2 Days ago. The first thing that hit me, was the complete lack of noise. The car is quiet as hell. Ive driven an SS Camaro for 12 years, but I've stalled this one 3 times already because I CANT HEAR the engine. I have to stare at the RPM gauge to see where it's at.

I see the car has an "Adjustable Engine Noise". I adjusted my SS Noise with a Night Fury Cam, Kooks Long Tube Headers, and a Borla ATAK Exhaust.

How is the engine noise adjustable? Is it some sort of speaker system, or do things actually change? Just trying to figure this car out.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:01 PM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
1. Infotainment center goto vehicle and change engine to track
2. Put HUD in speedo/tach mode and raise it until it is right below where you look

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:41 PM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
How's it going everyone? Got my Shadow Grey Metallic Z 2 Days ago. The first thing that hit me, was the complete lack of noise. The car is quiet as hell. Ive driven an SS Camaro for 12 years, but I've stalled this one 3 times already because I CANT HEAR the engine. I have to stare at the RPM gauge to see where it's at.

I see the car has an "Adjustable Engine Noise". I adjusted my SS Noise with a Night Fury Cam, Kooks Long Tube Headers, and a Borla ATAK Exhaust.

How is the engine noise adjustable? Is it some sort of speaker system, or do things actually change? Just trying to figure this car out.
Is called the NPP exhaust and it can make the exhaust quiet or loud. If you put it in sport or track and are cruising at a steady speed, the exhaust valves will close but will open back up when you get back on the throttle.

You can adjust the suspension, exhaust and steering independently in the infotainment screen under settings then vehicle.

Under each setting you can put each component into its own independent mode or leave it to auto.

You can leave them to auto which means when you use the mode selector below the gear shifter, they'll go to that mode. Snow/ice, tour, sport or track.

If you turn the vehicle off while in track mode, it'll go back to tour the next time you turn it on. Snow/ice, tour and sport will stay selected when you turn the vehicle off.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #4
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Thanks for the inputs fellas. Yeah, im scrolling through the info system, and have been tinkering with the different settings. I guess I was just wondering more.. "Mechanically" how things could be changed. Different timing on the valves makes sense.. just something else to worry about breaking down the road. Its a ZL1. Make it sound like a beast from the factory and leave it alone!! Haha. I guess it being so completely quiet just caught me off guard. I didn't buy a Tesla after all...
Old 03-15-2023, 04:27 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Not sure what exactly you are looking for but when my dual mode is in Track it is pretty loud.

And the HUD adjusted correctly makes shifts super easy.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
Thanks for the inputs fellas. Yeah, im scrolling through the info system, and have been tinkering with the different settings. I guess I was just wondering more.. "Mechanically" how things could be changed. Different timing on the valves makes sense.. just something else to worry about breaking down the road. Its a ZL1. Make it sound like a beast from the factory and leave it alone!! Haha. I guess it being so completely quiet just caught me off guard. I didn't buy a Tesla after all...
If you really want an exhaust tone then you need to get an axle back exhaust. Then it'll be loud all the time but you can get ones that accept the factory NPP valves so you can retain the quiet function.

The ZL1 isn't a problematic vehicle. Just keep up with the basic maintenance and it'll be good to go. There was a lady who bought a ZL1 brand new in 2017 and recently sold out with over 220k miles, a manual as well. She had 0 issues with the car and only did the servicing the car needed when it needed it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #7
PMCamaro

Drives: 22 ZL1
Pull fuse 51 will open the exhaust as loud as stock can be
Old 03-15-2023, 06:15 PM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
It sounds like you consider cam, headers, exhaust to be "adjustable engine noise"

Have you considered doing cam, headers, exhaust on your ZL1? And for more intake noise, add a CAI to that list.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:57 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would start with a CAI and set your exhaust in Track mode as was said by Fran. It should be somewhat louder cruising around and definitely louder at full throttle.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Does the new ZL1 mean you and the Mrs. will be adding more “magazine worthy” pics to your album!?!? In any case, I hope you (both) enjoy that beautiful Z!
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote