Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
To those who have experienced the Vitesse Throttle Controller...

If Camaros, from the factory, had the throttle response somewhere between SP6 & SP9, do you think more people would buy Camaros after a test drive?

(BTW, I received mine in the mail yesterday, and will be installing it tomorrow.)
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
If Camaros had these from the factory, you would have a lot more wrapped around a pole during a test drive. These are meant for people who know their vehicle and can control it. Otherwise it is dumb to get this, without knowing the vehicles stock power and handling first....
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
If Camaros had these from the factory, you would have a lot more wrapped around a pole during a test drive. These are meant for people who know their vehicle and can control it. Otherwise it is dumb to get this, without knowing the vehicles stock power and handling first....
This makes sense, as I've heard the factory lag is both a fuel saving and a safety measure.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
wadew2lt
U.S. Army Veteran

Drives: 2LT/RS SGM M6 Polished 20's
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
If Camaros, from the factory, had the throttle response somewhere between SP6 & SP9, do you think more people would buy Camaros after a test drive?

(BTW, I received mine in the mail yesterday, and will be installing it tomorrow.)
You will LOVE it!!!(Be careful)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
By inserting one of these things into the throttle circuit you are effectively ceding control of your car to it. The highly engineered and, presumably, extensively tested factory electronics are now being controlled by some box you bought off the internet. Hopefully they are being built in a quality manner and not by some sleep deprived kids in China.

If the circuitry on your TV fails you miss Sons of Anarchy. If the circuitry on this fails you potentially go WOT.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly paranoid but for something that does not make my car faster I'm not going there.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
By inserting one of these things into the throttle circuit you are effectively ceding control of your car to it. The highly engineered and, presumably, extensively tested factory electronics are now being controlled by some box you bought off the internet. Hopefully they are being built in a quality manner and not by some sleep deprived kids in China.

If the circuitry on your TV fails you miss Sons of Anarchy. If the circuitry on this fails you potentially go WOT.

I dunno, maybe I'm being overly paranoid but for something that does not make my car faster I'm not going there.
I thought about this...if the circuitry fails, I'd imagine I'd just pop into neutral, and pull over.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:

+1 & QFT.

Gee is right too, per usj.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
NJScorpio

Found this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Okay. Had a couple more emails back and forth with Vitesse. Here's the rest of the convo for anyone that's interested.

We've being testing a few units for the last 18 months or more on a few camaros that are daily driven and I can assure you that we have not had one single issue.

All cars with the "Drive by Wire" system come with a fail safe mode to prevent the driver being stuck somewhere or in an emergency... different car manufacturers call it differently: Limp mode / Reduced power.... This is safety requirement.

Our Camaros do come with a fail safe mode as well: The ECU constantly compares the signal sent from the Gas pedal sensor to the signal received by the Throttle body sensor. If anything happens, the ECU will automatically go to the "Reduced Engine Power" mode. This means, you will still have the possibility to accelerate.

Now if, something goes wrong with the Controller itself, it will default back to the stock setting ( SP0 ) so the signal will bypass the controller and will be sent directly from the Gas pedal sensor to the Throttle Body's sensor.

The first units we've produced did not have the Economy mode ( A button ) because we simply felt it was not a priority for people who actually want better response, more fun cars to drive... Now on the last updated Tune, we have this option available after extensive testing on all the different engines: LLT / LFX / LS3 / L99 and LSA. We had to make some further adjustments to make it compatible with the L99 AFM feature but now it's working fine.

Nothing will happen if you push the A button, it will simply switch to the Eco mode if this option is built into the Controller, If not, nothing will happen.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

First of all, thank you for the fast response. It is greatly appreciated!

If I were to order one of these right now, would it have the economy feature? Or is that feature yet to be added to production units? If not, do you have a date in mind when it will be added? I don't know if I would use it or not, but it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks again.

Yes, it will have the Economy mode feature built in it.

The economy mode ( besides it's main purpose ) it is also useful if you ever lend the car to someone or lets say Valet parking... The remote can be unplugged and no one will ever be able to switch the mode until you reconnect it.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:

Let me help you make your next tin foil hat.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
I thought about this...if the circuitry fails, I'd imagine I'd just pop into neutral, and pull over.
Yep, its either going to do one of three things. Go WOT, shut completely off or default to stock, if anyone cannot handle any one of these emergency situations maybe they shouldn't be driving in the first place.
I have heard of a couple people having the CEL come on and the computer goes into reduced power mode. So I feel pretty safe with this.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 01-09-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I'm gonna hit the switchblade key fob with my knee
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Just got one of these and it arrived yesterday... can't wait to install it this weekend! Reading good things about it...

I'll let you know...

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I'm gonna hit the switchblade key fob with my knee
Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Let me help you make your next tin foil hat.
I don't need a hat... I just go to my room.
Attached Images

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote