Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #71
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Slipping the clutch? Some people call it feathering the clutch but when your car is on an incline you partially engage the clutch while just barely pressing on the gas pedal to stay stationary and then slowly move forward. It allows for a smooth start on that incline without rolling backwards.

Some people, especially beginners learning to drive stick, will stall alot on hills and they have a tendency to over rev the engine on an incline because they are afraid of rolling backwards and tapping the car behind them. Learning to "slip the clutch" or "feather the clutch" makes driving on hills (or small incline's) much easier.

EDIT: Slipping the clutch allows you to sit and start moving on a hill without having to use your brakes.

OR you can cheat and use the e brake until you feel the car in that zone, then release it. Either way works fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #72
eb_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SSRS SGM
It was mentioned prior, but worth repeating.

"The method that has been most successful here at Standardshift has been the no-gas method. Not using the gas pedal at all while engaging the clutch in first gear seems to help people clue in more quickly to the friction point of the clutch, the all important point in which most of the engine power goes from idling freely to transferring through the transmission and then to the wheels. This varies from car to car. The friction point can be felt with the car starts moving, and engine RPMs drop usually along with the noise of the engine. This is also the point that many beginners let the clutch out too quickly, resulting in the engine lugging and the car bucking. Don't worry, at such a slow speed, no serious damage will occur to the car, just a nick to your pride."

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #73
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
OR you can cheat and use the e brake until you feel the car in that zone, then release it. Either way works fine.
Why would you need to? Are you talking about having someone do that when they are first learning to drive stick to apply the e-brake on a hill until they are comfortable? Sort of a hill assist thing to get them moving?

I only ask because I'm curious.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #74
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
Let us know when training begins. We can bring down the whole Tucson Camaro Club as a cheering section (and film crew!).
To show what kind of husband I am, and that I fully support my wife in her desire to learn to drive my car, I made some "Pedals" for her. They are the same approximate size/shape of the real deal, put them on a blanket, something that wold "Push back" on the pedal after release, everything. It was a great set-up. I put some real thought into teaching as thoroughly as possible without her being worried about damaging the car.

We could discuss everything, explain it all.. and she could have some practice in positioning her feet, working pedals speratly.. all of it.

But I had to share this because: When I had her first sit down, I asked her.. "What pedal is what?" Simple enough question right? You want to learn how to drive it, you should at least know what they ARE...

She didnt know the name was "The Clutch".. she just knew it was the "Shifter Pedal." Okay.. I'll give her that, I'm understanding. Then I turned my attention to the "Normal pedals." "Which one is which?" I asked..

"This ones the gas." She pointed to the brake.

I said, "Okay, lets make this easier.. in YOUR CAR, which one of these is the Gas?"

She once again pointed to the brake.

We haven't made it to the real car yet. Over Thanksgiving weekend we'll probably find time.

You might want to call the club Bodih.. but not as spectators, but to warn them to stay the heck out of the parking lots when this transpires!! lol.

I think if spectators just happened to "Show up".. she would probably break into tears, and not speak to me the rest of the night. lolol. I love her to death... but i didn't marry her for her driving skills...
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #75
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Teach her the easy way..... use launch control!
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #76
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Put her in the car already. go pro on her and a go pro on the road
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #77
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
...I love her to death... but i didn't marry her for her driving skills...
Looking at your signature, I think we understand...

We're here to support every Camaro driver, newbies included!!!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #78
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Why would you need to? Are you talking about having someone do that when they are first learning to drive stick to apply the e-brake on a hill until they are comfortable? Sort of a hill assist thing to get them moving?

I only ask because I'm curious.
Yes it's like a hill assist. I still find my self doing it for saftey reasons and to not ride or feather the clutch. You simply push the clutch while holding the break put the car in first and pull up the ebrake while holding the button so it doesn't lock then you let go of the break pedal and launch as normal.

I will rarely do it as I have gotten very accustomed to just switching between break and gas rather quickly without riding or feathering the clutch much. I only use it while there Is a car right on top of me on a pretty steep incline. I had to use this technique a lot when I was learning though. I can not do the heal toe to save my life.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #79
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Three things to remember ...

#1 - There is no such thing as a bad student

#2 - It's just a car

#3 - The couch can be a lonely place
SlingShot - You Speak Like A Man With Personal Experience
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #80
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Yes it's like a hill assist. I still find my self doing it for saftey reasons and to not ride or feather the clutch. You simply push the clutch while holding the break put the car in first and pull up the ebrake while holding the button so it doesn't lock then you let go of the break pedal and launch as normal.

I will rarely do it as I have gotten very accustomed to just switching between break and gas rather quickly without riding or feathering the clutch much. I only use it while there Is a car right on top of me on a pretty steep incline. I had to use this technique a lot when I was learning though. I can not do the heal toe to save my life.
I forget you all have it worse than I do with hills. Not alot of rolling roads in Illinois.

I'd imagine it would be a shock to my system running through some of the places you folks have to drive.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote