Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #1
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Track issue, need advice if there is any?

So yesterday I tracked my car for the 6th time. Came off the first session and went to check my tire pressure and my left rear I noticed the valve stem was leaking air. It appeared to be coming from the base of the stem. I could wiggle it a little to get it to stop, but as soon as I let it go, it started to leak again. Have the original run flats on the car so I was able to limp it home. PSI was 16 when I got home, 38 when i came off the the track. Has anyone cut a valve stem, and any solutions, or just bad luck?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Do your TPMS sensors bolt into the rim or snap in? If they bolt in there should be a nut on the outside below the valve stem. That nut gets tightened to 80 in-lb (9 N-m) so can check to see if it's loose at all. If you've got the snap-in style ones (i.e. rubber base instead of metal), you'll likely need to take it to a tire shop to either get it re-seated or replaced if it's damaged.

I'd also be leery of that tire if it was driven at pressure that low on a runflat. They're designed to only drive 50 miles or so at low/no pressure, and any driving at low pressure will start to damage the internal sidewall construction which could be cause a tire failure sooner than expected, especially if you track the car. Might want to consider keeping the dealer in the loop because if the valve-stem just came unseated or was defective you might get it and a new tire covered under warranty.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 10-01-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Not sure if your valve stem was rubber or not, but I won't track rubber valve stems anymore. I either melted one from brake heat or something just cut it during a session, but coming back in the pits and hearing it leaking was all i needed to switch to metal valve stems only.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
So yesterday I tracked my car for the 6th time. Came off the first session and went to check my tire pressure and my left rear I noticed the valve stem was leaking air. It appeared to be coming from the base of the stem. I could wiggle it a little to get it to stop, but as soon as I let it go, it started to leak again. Have the original run flats on the car so I was able to limp it home. PSI was 16 when I got home, 38 when i came off the the track. Has anyone cut a valve stem, and any solutions, or just bad luck?
Yes I've had this happen, just bad luck. Metal valve stems are the way to go.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
So yesterday I tracked my car for the 6th time. Have the original run flats on the car so I was able to limp it home. PSI was 16 when I got home, 38 when i came off the the track
Glad you made it home! Unfortunate you were unable to return though... Was nice meeting you, and your parking lot neighbor in the ZLE. Curious on what you find with the stem/tpms nuts. Hope you do get them (TPMS/Tire) covered as "Alpha1BC" suggests.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Metal valve stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Yes I've had this happen, just bad luck. Metal valve stems are the way to go.
+1
Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
slimjim2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Glad you made it home! Unfortunate you were unable to return though... Was nice meeting you, and your parking lot neighbor in the ZLE. Curious on what you find with the stem/tpms nuts. Hope you do get them (TPMS/Tire) covered as "Alpha1BC" suggests.
Yeah, nice meeting you. You were hauling the mail for sure. I was like F, I got some work to do. HEHE!!!
Old 10-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
slimjim2525

Do metal valve stems come on TPMS, or you run without TPMS? These are backup rims, so I don't really care.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Yeah, nice meeting you. You were hauling the mail for sure. I was like F, I got some work to do. HEHE!!!
Thanks, helps being a lil coocoo But honestly I said to myself in turn-4, the beginning of that 1st session, how well you were pushing/managing the car on the OEM ROF's. Get some GY SC3's or 3R's on that...

Quote:
Do metal valve stems come on TPMS, or you run without TPMS? These are backup rims, so I don't really care.
I would think your OEM wheels came with metal stems/tpms (one unit). AFAIK the actual valves in the stem (rubber or metal) are the same regardless. That could of loosened too, not just the outer nut. I have TPMS on all my wheel set-ups. One set has a bad TPMS not reading on a rear wheel, so the set wont complete the re-programing process. Not the end of the world without dash readings, if you are disciplined at tire temps and manual pressure readings.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 10-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
slimjim2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Thanks, helps being a lil coocoo But honestly I said to myself in turn-4, the beginning of that 1st session, how well you were pushing/managing the car on the OEM ROF's. Get some GY SC3's or 3R's on that...

I would think your OEM wheels came with metal stems/tpms (one unit). AFAIK the actual valves in the stem (rubber or metal) are the same regardless. That could of loosened too, not just the outer nut. I have TPMS on all my wheel set-ups. One set has a bad TPMS not reading on a rear wheel, so the set wont complete the re-programing process. Not the end of the world without dash readings, if you are disciplined at tire temps and manual pressure readings.
I got black flagged because they said I passed without a signal. Pulled down pit lane and saw you in front of me, did you get the same? After that, you left and I get held up in pit lane til the track cleared and you were gone. These are aftermarket TPMS monitors, the OEM ones are in my DD wheels, I will check them out.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #11
driven2exceSS

Quote:
I got black flagged because they said I passed without a signal. Pulled down pit lane and saw you in front of me, did you get the same? After that, you left and I get held up in pit lane til the track cleared and you were gone. These are aftermarket TPMS monitors, the OEM ones are in my DD wheels, I will check them out.
No I went "two off" out of turn-6 and self pitted. Apparently it wasn't reported because they had no clue why I came in
Old 10-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
1+ on Provoste's recommendation, albeit i have not upgraded mine in 4 seasons. Maybe i should...
One thing that can lead to valve failure/slow leak is running without caps. Seen this cause several issues if/when crap gets inside. So, i always ensure i have mine on all the time. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
slimjim2525

Checked it out. OEM stems are metal.