Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #29
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Has anyone considered that a set of 305/325 G3s on ZL1 1LE spec wheels could be a better setup than the 305 RE71Rs??? I for one would not be surprised if it turns out to be the case, and would be an easy choice for ZL1 1LE guys (and even us SS 1LE peasants with some slight modification lol).
Old 03-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #30
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Has anyone considered that a set of 305/325 G3s on ZL1 1LE spec wheels could be a better setup than the 305 RE71Rs??? I for one would not be surprised if it turns out to be the case, and would be an easy choice for ZL1 1LE guys (and even us SS 1LE peasants with some slight modification lol).
I have considered that, I just need a wheel and tire sponsor to help me try it out
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #31
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I have considered that, I just need a wheel and tire sponsor to help me try it out
Make that two...
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #32
Ummpwr

Drives: Honda S2000
I have a 2018 SS 1le and bought 19x10 19x11 I was looking for tires to autox , track days , and drive on the wheels to events. The re71 were so much more expensive than the stock 220tw supercar 3 plus the only 305/30 325/30/19 combo was the supercar 3 so I went with those on my 19s... So far they have much more grip than the sup3 on the stock 20s... Possible still a little slower than re71s bit hope to last longer for track days.

Eric
Ummpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
No doubt it would be a good option. The cheapest upgrade could possibly be running a new size 295 G3 on the F with stock rims.

Ps to the previous post, i would not run 305 on a 10 size rim. Maybe some folks dont mind it, but i do.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #34
Ummpwr

Pics
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #35
TrackClub

The F sidewall doesnt look very healthy to me in the top pic. 10.5 is a min authorized size for a 305. And id never run it for this reason alone (never mind less F end response). But that's me
Old 03-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #36
Ummpwr

What do you mean by "healthy"? I do agree that they do have a slower response, and have a sidewall bulge. But the proof is in the pudding as I got 3rd pax and 4th raw out of 85 at my first autox with them. On the stock 20s I would be 5th to 8th usually raw and pax.

My 2nd pic is with the stock 20s for comparison
Old 03-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
What do you mean by "healthy"? I do agree that they do have a slower response, and have a sidewall bulge. But the proof is in the pudding as I got 3rd pax and 4th raw out of 85 at my first autox with them. On the stock 20s I would be 5th to 8th usually raw and pax.
not "healthy" as in too much sidewall deflection (bulge) that the tire was never designed for stress wise. having said that, i would not hesitate to run it for autox and know that some do quite successfully. But i would not want such a set up for high load sweepers at a track. The loads on outside front tire are tremendous and if she decided to let go...well...i would rather not have to think about the consequences.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #38
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Let me be clear. I still think the REs will be faster than the same size G3s on those wheels, but I think it will be a lot closer than 2 seconds.
I think so too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Nice vid and thx for posting it. Half a second variance in one corner seems a bit unbelievable to me, as that is a huge delta.
Given the set up differences, and ultimately more tire with the RE71R set up (plus more torgue etc), i would not go as far as to definitely say the TIRE alone is responsible for any delta per se. Ive run RE71R in 295 square on stock rims and they were no faster for me.
Also, there are laps posted in Fastest Laps, where G3 is quicker vs RE71R 305 square (both very fast drivers).
Plus Provoste came just only 1 second+ slower at VIR with G3s vs his lap on slicks. Mind you different day.
And then we have RealJA laptimes vs R7...
So, i think it all "depends". But one thing i am pretty certain of: i could not shave off 2 seconds from my times, unless i upgraded to a different class tire.
Just my musings Cheers!
I think both you and Provoste could benefit from running wider tires than 295s though. The problem with RE71Rs they're prone to overheat and immediately feels greasy once it does that. 295s would be a downgrade since 305s in the rear are barely enough, especially since you'd be stretching them on 11" wide wheels which would only accelerate this process .

As far as I can tell, the RE71Rs (and now the Yokohoma A052s) is the fastest street tires with 200tw . Like RealJA stated above the difference shouldn't be much though (definitely not 2 seconds), on the same size tires and wheels.

I tried to love RE71Rs and tried them on both S2000 and Miata but couldn't
I thought the overheating them wouldn't be an issue on a very light car with only 160hp since OEM tire size was 205s and I was using 245s (like the S2000), I was wrong lol .. they're not really worth the money IMO
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #39
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I think so too

I think both you and Provoste could benefit from running wider tires than 295s though. The problem with RE71Rs they're prone to overheat and immediately feels greasy once it does that. 295s would be a downgrade since 305s in the rear are barely enough, especially since you'd be stretching them on 11" wide wheels which would only accelerate this process .

As far as I can tell, the RE71Rs (and now the Yokohoma A052s) is the fastest street tires with 200tw . Like RealJA stated above the difference shouldn't be much though (definitely not 2 seconds), on the same size tires and wheels.

I tried to love RE71Rs and tried them on both S2000 and Miata but couldn't
I thought the overheating them wouldn't be an issue on a very light car with only 160hp since OEM tire size was 205s and I was using 245s (like the S2000), I was wrong lol .. they're not really worth the money IMO
295/30 RE71R in my opinion feel terrific on our cars. I didn’t continue to run them because I wanted better wear and the flexibility to swap Front/Rear wheels tires. Here is a few laps of NCM in my stock SS 1LE on 295/30 square RE71R on OEM wheels. My time (2:16.8) at SCCA Nationals TT would have been fastest of both sport 2 (SS 1LE) and S1 (ZL1). Same car same day, RE71R is faster than an OEM G3, but G3 is a TERRIFIC tire.
Attached Images

Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #40
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
295/30 RE71R in my opinion feel terrific on our cars. I didn’t continue to run them because I wanted better wear and the flexibility to swap Front/Rear wheels tires. Here is a few laps of NCM in my stock SS 1LE on 295/30 square RE71R on OEM wheels. My time (2:16.8) at SCCA Nationals TT would have been fastest of both sport 2 (SS 1LE) and S1 (ZL1). Same car same day, RE71R is faster than an OEM G3, but G3 is a TERRIFIC tire.
Although I understand why you want to be able to swap front and rear wheel, I still think it may not be the ideal solution on our cars. Since you would be also limiting the rear size and accelerate the tire wear as you pointed out which would defeat the purpose of having a square setup (cost savings).

In addition to that, by using the same offset front and back, you'd be changing the rear track dramatically (from +43 offset to say +20 offset ..that's like a whopping 23mm extension on each side in the rear). On my previous 1LE, I actually remember using +25mm offset in the rear since Apex didn't have a correct offset back then, I always suspected that the that wheel setup was responsible for the added understeer. With OEM wheel/tire setup car had a better balance but less overall grip due to OEM tires, so I said to myself "pick your poison"

In the video you shared above, I can swear the car sounds like it begs for more rubber. I am willing to bet you if you had more rubber, especially on a track like this where a sustained g is important on long sweepers, it can help you. The fact that you ended up getting better lap times with RE71Rs (even narrower tires in the back) tells me they're simply better compound than the OEM tires. I am pretty sure if you had 305sq or 295/315 you'd be even faster.

BTW, is this the same track that TrackClub shared which the guy did 2:15.6 on stock car (with probably OEM alignment)? The title reads as Pro Racer so 1 second difference is pretty negligible on a long track like this I bet but he's on OEM tires too. Regardless, great driving and thanks for sharing info
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #41
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Although I understand why you want to be able to swap front and rear wheel, I still think it may not be the ideal solution on our cars. Since you would be also limiting the rear size and accelerate the tire wear as you pointed out which would defeat the purpose of having a square setup (cost savings).

In addition to that, by using the same offset front and back, you'd be changing the rear track dramatically (from +43 offset to say +20 offset ..that's like a whopping 23mm extension on each side in the rear). On my previous 1LE, I actually remember using +25mm offset in the rear since Apex didn't have a correct offset back then, I always suspected that the that wheel setup was responsible for the added understeer. With OEM wheel/tire setup car had a better balance but less overall grip due to OEM tires, so I said to myself "pick your poison"

In the video you shared above, I can swear the car sounds like it begs for more rubber. I am willing to bet you if you had more rubber, especially on a track like this where a sustained g is important on long sweepers, it can help you. The fact that you ended up getting better lap times with RE71Rs (even narrower tires in the back) tells me they're simply better compound than the OEM tires. I am pretty sure if you had 305sq or 295/315 you'd be even faster.

BTW, is this the same track that TrackClub shared which the guy did 2:15.6 on stock car (with probably OEM alignment)? The title reads as Pro Racer so 1 second difference is pretty negligible on a long track like this I bet but he's on OEM tires too. Regardless, great driving and thanks for sharing info
"19 square 10.5 et22 setup adds rear track width, which made the car more stable when running a 305 square setup. I loved the car on the 305 square setup, more front bite than stock but great rear stability with the wider track. This video was before I ran a square wheel setup. This video is on OEM wheels, with a 295/30 20 RE71R. My tire life on a square setup was at least 2x better than staggered. FYI- I have over 12k track miles on my SS 1LE.

The Pro Racer in the video is Andy Pilgrim, who is a past factory Corvette racer and has been on the podium 5x @ the LeMans 24 hour. He is employed by NCM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #42
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Unless your goal is literally stuffing as much tire as possible under the car I think the 305 square on 19x10.5" wheels is simply the best setup for an SS 1LE. It completely gets rid of the slight understeer tendency of the stock setup, has better high speed stability thanks to the wider rear track width and the added bonus of being able to rotate front/rear. It's really a no brainer!!!

Like I said in my previous reply, I wouldn't be surprised if G3s in ZL1 1LE sizes (aka 305/325/19") ended up being faster than the 305 square RE71Rs. BUT after putting a bunch of track miles on the exact same setup Provoste used for most of his events last year (305 square RS4s on the 19x10.5" wheels) I can say the I much prefer the way the car drives with that setup!

For the TT guys the RE71Rs make sense, because as of now they are the undisputed "Hero Lap" king and that's what TT is all about. But the 305/325 G3s might give them a good run in the right hands!!!