Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Gen 5 Zl1 versus Gen 6 2SS.

I have a 2016 2SS auto. My friend has a manual 2013 ZL1. Frankly his car does not feel significantly faster than mine. This is my first automatic sports car. I've had five others that were all manual so I do know how to drive a stick. Does anyone have any head to head comparisons at the track or otherwise?
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Depending on your launch you would be competitive. You've got a significant weight advantage, but he's got a significant hp advantage. All things being equal he will take you. Having said that, if he slips up with the manual and you hookup, you can tell him bye bye.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'd suggest you go to the Gen 5 forum's sticky list for 1/4 mile times for stock gen 5 ZL1's and then do the same on this forum for the stock A8 SS's. That should give you some data. You will find they are both in the low 12's on average with the nod going to the auto as the M6's are tough to launch with any consistency. It's a driver's race and all depends on your friend's launching and shifting skills. Both models have hero runs that break into the 11"s.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
5th Gen ZL1 M6 = CA6 SS M6 in the 1/4. I have owned and drag raced both. Auto times are similar. However owning a ZL1 is more unique and you feel like you are driving something special compared to the every day SS. And that supercharger whine once you add a CAI gives you a thrill every time you get in the car.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Soooo..... I have a 2012 ZL1 and just drove a 6Gen SS for the first time yesterday. It was a yellow 1LE. I purposely avoided driving the new SS even after all of the rave reviews. The sales guy was great and let me spend a lot of time in the car.

I found the car to be a quick car but I'm not sure that it is faster than my ZL1. The ZL1's greater torque moves the 5th Gen effortlessly and I could quickly feel that the SS did not push me back into the seat like the Z does. The other thing I quickly noticed was that the new car felt much more nimble than the Z. The sales guy was nice enough to let me take the 1LE to the back lot and use the cars parked there like pylons. I have tracked my ZL1 a lot and could instantly feel how much lighter the new car feels on it's feet. The turn in was exact and the mag ride mode changes seemed more enhanced than my ZL1.

I would say that my ZL1 feels a little quicker but rest of the new car including the new Recaros feel much better.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Compared to the A8, a manual transmission costs .3 seconds on 0-60.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
If you don't just LOVE all the other great stuff, stay with what you have.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Soooo..... I have a 2012 ZL1 and just drove a 6Gen SS for the first time yesterday. It was a yellow 1LE. I purposely avoided driving the new SS even after all of the rave reviews. The sales guy was great and let me spend a lot of time in the car.

I found the car to be a quick car but I'm not sure that it is faster than my ZL1. The ZL1's greater torque moves the 5th Gen effortlessly and I could quickly feel that the SS did not push me back into the seat like the Z does. The other thing I quickly noticed was that the new car felt much more nimble than the Z. The sales guy was nice enough to let me take the 1LE to the back lot and use the cars parked there like pylons. I have tracked my ZL1 a lot and could instantly feel how much lighter the new car feels on it's feet. The turn in was exact and the mag ride mode changes seemed more enhanced than my ZL1.

I would say that my ZL1 feels a little quicker but rest of the new car including the new Recaros feel much better.
Oooh...The 1LE is one version of the car I haven't yet had the pleasure to pilot, yet...Thanks for the thoughts!

You've been milling this over for a while, I know...Was the 1LE enough to convince you to trade into one?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Oooh...The 1LE is one version of the car I haven't yet had the pleasure to pilot, yet...Thanks for the thoughts!

You've been milling this over for a while, I know...Was the 1LE enough to convince you to trade into one?
No, but it has nothing to do with the Camaros. I have three cars in the garage and I promised my wife she could pick whatever car she wanted in the same dollar value as the ZL1 and the Corvette. So we just got her car last month so it will be a few years before I pay that off and get really serious about trading my ZL1 for another car. It might not be before the midterm update occurs.

That being said, if I were to do a trade today, I would most likely trade for another ZL1. The 1LE is a great car but I really love the interior in the new ZL1. The suede with red trim interior plus the redesigned Recaro's looks really beautiful. Put that with the "eat you alive" front end and you have a world beating car for $65,000. I'm looking forward to you getting your Z and seeing how the A10 does on the track in real life. We hope to see you soon.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
No, but it has nothing to do with the Camaros. I have three cars in the garage and I promised my wife she could pick whatever car she wanted in the same dollar value as the ZL1 and the Corvette. So we just got her car last month so it will be a few years before I pay that off and get really serious about trading my ZL1 for another car. It might not be before the midterm update occurs.

That being said, if I were to do a trade today, I would most likely trade for another ZL1. The 1LE is a great car but I really love the interior in the new ZL1. The suede with red trim interior plus the redesigned Recaro's looks really beautiful. Put that with the "eat you alive" front end and you have a world beating car for $65,000. I'm looking forward to you getting your Z and seeing how the A10 does on the track in real life. We hope to see you soon.
You seem to be thinking along the same lines as me. My offer stands - see you in Bowling Green!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
You seem to be thinking along the same lines as me. My offer stands - see you in Bowling Green!
Thanks, we are both looking forward to seeing everyone again at Camarofest.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I was just looking at the same thing, it seems that performance wise the 5th Gen ZL1 and the 6th Gen SS M6 are pretty much identical, stock that is.