Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #1
Jackal84

Drives: 2008 Corvette 3LT Z51
Question for owners: How realistic is it to use the back seat?

Hi

I'm new to this forum and am seriously considering getting a 2SS vert. I currently drive an 08 vette with all the bells/whistles (Z51/NPP/3LT/glass roof/etc) and we just had our first kid. My only other vehicle is a work vehicle. My wife has a SUV, but obviously I will need something with a backseat too. One of our favorite things was going on road trips or just a short drive around where we live with the roof off in the vette. This is definitely something we would like to continue but of course include our son as he gets older. So I have a few questions for everyone.

I'm 6'0 and my wife is 5'5
Will a child seat fit in the back seat?
How long can a child (or perhaps two) comfortably fit in the back seat?
The trunk is small, but can you fit enough stuff for a week long trip in it?
Just how bad is the visibility?
Anything I should know about the car before going any farther in this?

I did go look at them in the dealership and was super impressed with them, especially with the 16% back on certain ones. My biggest concern is the back seat/ lack of trunk room. I did not take it for a test drive because I wanted to wait til I was more serious and discussed it with the wife.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jackal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Drives: 16 2SS NPP MRC
The back seat is very realistic. I have had 4 adults (people below 5.5" in the back) in my car several time. I made a video to demonstrate this vehicle with children.

Visibility is fine, a lot of arguments happen one bit but once you get the car setup for your body and driving style theres no issues.

Hope this helps

Visibility video:

TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
The OG Slowmaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1995 Camaro Z28
I'm only 5'11" and the back of my driver seat almost touches the front of the rear seat when I drive. There is also very little head room in the back seat. My wife is 5'5" and can't sit up straight. Unless you have very young kids the rear seat is useless.

The trunk on the other hand is pretty big. The opening is small but the trunk takes up all the space that should have been used for more rear seat space.

Visibility is fine once you get settled in. I still can't get used to the back up camera after a couple months of driving this car. Still using my mirrors like a caveman. Lol!!

With all of that being said I regret nothing. I love this car so much I bought it instead of the new Vette I was looking at.
The OG Slowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Cruiter

Drives: 2016 H/R 2SS Convertible 6.2/Auto
I've had my 2ss Vert for just over a week now. I also had a C7 Vette coupe and know what you're talking about re: visibility. With the top up it has more than my Vette did and it's quieter by large margins. The sound insulation is much better. Any car of this type is a squeeze getting into and out of the back seats but once in they're very comfortable and support the back well. I'm 5'5" and behind the passenger seat I was fine and the seat wasn't all the way forward.

It's probably not the easiest car to place a kid in a car seat into if you're just going a few minutes in the car but it's manageable as the video shows. My boys are grown now and paying my S/S LOL so that's not an issue for me.
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal84 View Post

The trunk is small, but can you fit enough stuff for a week long trip in it?

Just how bad is the visibility?

First, welcome to the forums!

The coupe has a rather decent-sized trunk. I was given a Camaro convertible as a loaner for a couple of weeks and I'd say yes, you could fit enough stuff for a week... if you don't plan on putting the top down. The top takes up the vast majority of the trunk space, leaving you enough space for just a backpack, purse, and laptop bag while the top is down.

Visibility is more subjective. If you properly adjust your mirrors, it is fine. It's a muscle/sports car, so visibility is 'worse' than a family sedan or SUV, but I believe it to be not too bad. I actually like that the doors are longer, thus there is more window behind my left shoulder to see out of, compared to a sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #6
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
A quick SEARCH.........
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...light=backseat
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Camaroky

Drives: 2016 camaro 1SS
I think it really depends on the height of the person in the front seat. I'm 6'2" and the driver seat is basically touching the back seat. Also auto or manual might make a difference. If I had an auto I could move the seat forward some and still work the pedals. With a manual thou and always working the pedals there's no way I could move it up much
Camaroky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
I'm 5'11" and no one with legs can sit behind me. If I move the passenger seat up pretty far, then I can cram in 3 people (including myself).

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
R3DLT1
Toyota Tech

Drives: 2SS A8
Have no issue with my kid in the back
Attached Images

R3DLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
We came from an '06 Vette into Camaros, and were the same. Loved taking the roof off and going on road trips. My wife has a SUV that we use most of the time and the Camaro is my DD. I switched to Camaros because of the back seat, yet still wanted performance. My daughter got into her high school years and always wanted a friend picked up with her, and inevitably the Vette was with me while the wife had the SUV. I'm 6'1 and the wife is about the same as yours. For myself, my daughter and her friend the Camaro always works out fine. Not a real chance on a second friend really. For my wife, myself and my daughter it works also, but I'd not go on a road trip with us 3 in it

Good luck on your decision
Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
SCullen
Converts Oxygen to CO2

Drives: 2016 Black SS Convertable
With respect to visibility, there is one situation where visibility can be an issue. When trying to back out of a parking space and surrounded by a forrest of SUVs, its tough to see cars coming around. Lowering the top helps (if you have a convertible) but still doesn't solve the problem of cars coming across when the trucks around you won't permit you to see them. Backing into the space also helps.

Driving really isn't a problem. You get used to it pretty quickly.

SCullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I am 5'6 and cannot get any of my grandkids in the back seat. Best thing to do is take your kids to a chevy dealer and try them out in it.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
I have an A8 vert and love it. However, I am only 5'8" tall which makes the backseat more reasonable as far as legroom for someone behind me. With the top up, the backseat headroom is very limited. I would have to cock my head sideways. However, it is OK for short trips. I would not go on a road trip with anyone over 5 foot five in the rear seat. I love riding in the rear seat with the top down, the view is great. The convertible gives the car two completely different personalities. With the top up you have the tank like narrow view. The view is fantastic with the top down. I've had several convertibles in the past. This one is great as far as wind noise and turbulence. I also like the windscreen.
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
My friend is about 5'11" or so and we went on an 8 hour road trip in my 5th gen, he was in the back seat behind my passenger. So it's possible.

He was laying to the side most of the trip, so yeah head room is an issue, but honestly any person under 5'6" should be comfortable with head room and leg room in most cases. Fitting two adults in the backseat is probably the worst scenario, it's possible but the driver isn't going to be in the most comfortable driving position. I don't see any issue with two children.