The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
2016 2SS vs 2016 1LT

I have the opportunity to get out of my 2016 2SS and into a 2016 1LT vette for an extra $ 50 a month. Here is my thought process, I'd appreciate in put and I'd if u think I'm missing anything

Pros:
Marginally better handling?
Marginally better acceleration?
Better mpg
I love that it only has two seats
Targa top is awsome and I plan on using it a lot as long as it can be done semi easily
This may be the last front engine vette
Love that it is a 7spd manual because I love shifting gears often
Love how the cockpit wraps around you and makes you fell like everything is geared towards the driver.

Cons
Insurance 100 more a month
No HUD
I already deleted the mufflers on my camaro and did some small aesthetic stuff I'd "have" to do on the vette.
C8 may be coming out soon leaving me with a previous generation car vs my camaro which I assume will not be redesigned for years
More cramped for my two dogs

Don't care about:
The fancy stuff like heated sears I have on my 2ss but won't on the Vette
Small trunk
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Didn't see any other comments so I'll add mine:
Braking - 2ss is 127' for 60-0. C7 is 107.
Marginally better handling? - C7 should be significantly better. Lateral grip on 2ss is .97g. C7 is 1.03g. Small number but that's a lot.
This may be the last front engine vette - Last rumor I saw said C7's will go thru 2021 which makes sense as that would be normal generation cycle. C8 could be 2 models - base - front engine, performance model - mid-engine? Time will tell.
Insurance - Your price would scare me. I have a '16 Z06 and get some discounts because of multiple vehicles, multiple lines, and an excellent driving record. I only pay $72/month for good full coverage.
My only other question is this a lease on the 2ss that has some hidden charges to get out from under?

Tough decision - good luck
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Braking - 2ss is 127' for 60-0. C7 is 107.
Marginally better handling? - C7 should be significantly better. Lateral grip on 2ss is .97g. C7 is 1.03g. Small number but that's a lot.

The C7 did feel much more "flat" in the turns. I've had my camaro hold fine at 1.03gs but I assume there will still be a delta given the same conditions. I do know that .06gs is a large difference but didn't realize the Vette was over 1g. Thank you for the correction.

I tend to get in and out of cars really quickly, so if the C7 sticks around till 2021 that would be awsome!

As for insurance, I'm a single 31 year old male with 2 suspensions, 1 dui and 3 not at fault accidents. The dui was 6yrs ago so it precludes me from preferred carriers and although the suspensions were medical and not driving related most insurance companies get worried when they see all those things together :(
The insurance on my camaro is about 200 a month with very large coverage numbers.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
The lateral g's on a C7 are impressive. The Z06 with Z06 package is rated at 1.2g's. I took a HPD class at Spring Mountain in mid July and drove a Z06/Z07 package. I ran the car as hard as I could until it until it felt like it would either roll of lose traction. I loaded the data from the PDR into the Cosworth Toolbox. Best I pulled was 1.04 g's which pretty well matched the gauge on the PDR display.
I went back out in same car with one of the instructors driving. Gauge was against side (1.25 g's) on most hard curves. Loaded that data into Cosworth and his best was 1.36 g's. I felt traction loss twice and rear end slid maybe 1-2 ft.
After you see that, you really have confidence in what the all the C7s are capable of.

FYI - I've not driven a Camaro in several years and was amazed when I looked up the performance specs. They've come a long way in the past few years.

Whether you keep your Camaro or get the C7, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
I spent 6 months targeting the New SS test drove it like 6 times , wanted the 1le and just couldn't wait, I than rented the c7 on turo with a manual, and it blew my mind. The camaro is a great muscle car def wipes the GT away but the Vette is just in another class the feel of it with the Targa off is amazing slicing through the canyons better visibility and view out of your front mirror. I did like the manual in the SS better its less clunky sometimes gears aren't that smooth. Also the c7 gets looked at like a ferrari , esp my red one EVEn in LA people come running up which is rare. The SS still feels the same to most .
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote