Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
The Vette has an IRS....z06....505hp...no problems!! Granted it's not the same setup...but I'm sure the new Camaro will be just fine.
Yep. This is exactly what I'm talking about. They can build it to last. GM isn't going to put a crap rear end back into a car that is estimated to sell this much. I can't wait for the IRS. It will work and wheel hop will be minimized.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #16
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
302 Wild Mouse,

The new Camaro will have an IRS. Visit www.chevrolet.com. Under 'Performance' vehicles you will see the concept. Under 'Specifications' it lists an IRS.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #17
fierocamaro
69 Camaro lover

Drives: 1969 Camaro
302 Wild Mouse is right, I think Chevy should let us custom order ours so we can have it hwever we want it, not just whatever is on the lot
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocamaro View Post
302 Wild Mouse is right, I think Chevy should let us custom order ours so we can have it hwever we want it, not just whatever is on the lot
Last I checked, you can custom order a vehicle from any dealer. I have never been stuck buying just what is on the lot.

In terms of making a solid rear axle an option, I can't believe so many people are already complaining about the IRS when absolutely no one has had a chance to see how it feels. The GTO is hardly an example as the Camaro is being build on a chassis that has never been used.

Not to mention, do you know how much money it would cost GM to redesign this car to work on a solid rear axle? The engineering costs, the tooling costs, and the lost production line capacity. The only people who would buy a solid rear axle anyway are hardcore enthusiests who actually intend to race their car. I hate to tell you but that is a very very small number of people that would have to absorb all of those added costs, or they would have to jack up the price of the IRS Camaros to recoup that money and that is just stupid if they are trying to minimize costs and compete. The solid rear axle as an option is just not a feasible option, it has to be one or the other, and don't be so quick to judge the capabilities of the IRS until someone has had a chance to drive on it!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
In terms of making a solid rear axle an option, I can't believe so many people are already complaining about the IRS when absolutely no one has had a chance to see how it feels.

Not to mention, do you know how much money it would cost GM to redesign this car to work on a solid rear axle? The engineering costs, the tooling costs, and the lost production line capacity. The only people who would buy a solid rear axle anyway are hardcore enthusiests who actually intend to race their car. I hate to tell you but that is a very very small number of people that would have to absorb all of those added costs, or they would have to jack up the price of the IRS Camaros to recoup that money and that is just stupid if they are trying to minimize costs and compete. The solid rear axle as an option is just not a feasible option, it has to be one or the other, and don't be so quick to judge the capabilities of the IRS until someone has had a chance to drive on it!
Finally someone hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how I feel. The Vette has a very nice IRS set up and we don't hear about them breaking now do we??? GM won't put out a vehicle that has a crappy rear end that has horrible wheel hop when we punch it. Do you have any idea just how many complaints GM would have if that was the case??? The technology is there. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. The everyday ride around town and the occasional day at the track will be just fine. Have faith, my friends!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #20
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
The wheel hop is totally removable in the GTO, if you know what to do. My naturally aspirated LS1 2004 runs 11.70/80s at 115 with 1.62 sixty footers. NO WHEEL HOP...

I don't care "what" GM comes out, just BRING IT! Innovative hot rodders will rework and build up whatever they need to make the car work better...

Cripe, we have a Cobra 8.8 IRS center section conversion going into the GTO so I can run some serious gear in back. I'll bet a "version" of this conversion could be retrofitted into the 2008 Camaro IRS too...

Ed

PONY WARS

Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hey Ed!

I was checking out your site... I like what you've done to the Goat.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #22
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
idk but whatever GM brrings out. Be ready for it because it will be a bad ass car.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #23
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
idk but whatever GM brrings out. Be ready for it because it will be a bad ass car.
I agree, I truely believe that GM is going to pull out all of the stops on this car. I think that given the direction of the American auto manufacturers and all of their recent troubles that this car is going to be more than just a car. It is going to be a statement about the status of GM, their dedication to innovation and quality, and an overall symbol of their health as an organization. I think that in this era of motor-city, GM can not afford anything less - especially since they are coming to the party 3-4 years later than Ford's Mustang.

I would be willing to bet big money that when this thing is unveiled at the '08 NAIAS we will all be shocked and amazed at what GM has come up with.

EDIT: I just wish that I could have it in my driveway yesterday!

Last edited by Casull; 10-31-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #24
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Casull I can't agree more with you. I strongly beileve that you and me and all others think that GM will bring out a nice ride that everyone will appreciate.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #25
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Hey Ed!

I was checking out your site... I like what you've done to the Goat.
Thanks Moose ... did a bit more to be able to knock down some 11.70's but the whole building a "new shop" blues curtains any new stuff... Besides.... I'm saving for my Gen5..

Ed

PONY WARS

Old 11-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #26
Seanskny

Drives: 2011 2SS RS delivered 6-22-10
I am 32 y/o. I grew up in Corvette's, Trans Am's and Camaro's. My first car was a Camaro, and my last car will be a Camaro if my walker will fit in the trunk. If it doesn't fit, I will crawl around on my arthritic knees to get in and out of it. The Camaro isn't just a car, it's an American passion/past-time like baseball. For those who are posting "I won't buy if..." Then don't! A production car has not been unveiled yet so stop the crying and whining. The Zo6 w/ the IRS does pretty damn good in the 1/4 (11.7@ 125.2 MotorTrend Dec 06). For those crying about the IRS, please take that into consideration. Chevy is going to go with IRS and they apparently have it down a hell of a lot better than ford did a few years ago. I remember a few years ago watching motortrend on speed channel testing the 4th gen camaro, and the big complaint was handling. With the IRS, maybe we all can have a rocket w/ the handling to kill the riceburners. We can all dream and hope for the best.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I know you talking in general and not to anyone specifically, but the ONLY reason I ever stated I wouldn't buy it, was if it was priced too high. Then it would be out of my price range. Other than that, this will be my 4th Camaro for sure!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #28
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
I guess he didn't buy one.

Closed Thread