Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Thumbs up Insights from Ed Peper (General Manager of Chevy) regarding the production coupe/vert

In an interview conducted at the Detroit autoshow, Ed Peper discusses how closely the production camaro will match the concept, and also the possible powertrains:

Autoblog: Let's change gears and talk performance. Obviously, there's Corvette, but let's stay away from that for the moment and focus on the Camaro. You've already mentioned the convertible concept which obviously telegraphs your intent to do a production version.

Ed Peper: Yes.

Autoblog: The styling's been a hit for both the coupe and the convertible. How closely are you looking to match the concept's styling -- especially the interior -- on the production version of the Camaro.

Ed Peper: It's going to be very, very close. I have seen the production coupe, and if you saw the two of them side by side -- the production coupe and the concept coupe we introduced last year -- you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It is very minute. I mean, obviously you have to make some exceptions when translating a concept to production, but it's going to be very, very close. This is not like a wild concept that we come back and can't realistically build the same sort of vehicle for production. No, it is going to be very close.

Autoblog: Have you guys arrived at a final decision for the top powertrain?

Ed Peper: No, not yet. We will have a V8, a couple of V6s -- you know, we'll have a fuel efficient V6 and we'll have a high performing V6 and we will have a high performing V8 but we haven't settled on the engine in that yet.

Autoblog: 500 horsepower appears to be the magic number with the musclecars that the other manufacturers are coming out with, so is that your target?

Ed Peper: Certainly we haven't made a decision yet, but it's in our scheme – it's in our scheme of thoughts, yes.

Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?

Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Summary

Styling:

- he reiterates that the production Camaro will be "very, very close" to the production coupe (which he has seen).

Powertrain:
- a V8 will be available, as well as a couple of V6 options (fuel efficient and high performing versions).
- 500 hp is certainly in consideration as the top horsepower version
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
cool sounds good to me.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
maro&bird

Drives: ls3 ss
sounds like

music to my ears
maro&bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
Excellent!
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Thanks for posting that!

It confirms too what I've heard about the production model being very close to the concept.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
All of this sounds great. But how are they going to be able to get the price in line with, or close to the Mustang by dropping in such powerful engines and big rims on the car, and an IRS?

Most of us folks on this board are shooting for a V8 model, I'm assuming. With all this stuff, the car is looking more like a 30-35k US car. In Canada, where I am, that translates to $40-$45K Canadian. Have to wait and see. But this car may turn out to cost as much, if not more than the GTO.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
truvkngfan

Drives: Porsche928,AMV8,Acadia,Accord
What some may have missed reading that is he has seen the production coupe. It may be closer than we think...
truvkngfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
True.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by truvkngfan View Post
What some may have missed reading that is he has seen the production coupe. It may be closer than we think...
That is a very great point. And a very exciting point.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
I agree...now all we need is someone inside the Oshawa Plant to tip us off when the action starts...can't wait to get my paws on one of these..wooooo
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Did someone mention 2 V6 models??? Not that I'm going for a V6, but that is great news for those on a budget but still want the hp of an LS1 while in a 6er package. Insurance rates going down just a little...maybe...possibly???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Hyperknight
Band.

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Summary

Styling:

- he reiterates that the production Camaro will be "very, very close" to the production coupe (which he has seen).

Powertrain:
- a V8 will be available, as well as a couple of V6 options (fuel efficient and high performing versions).
- 500 hp is certainly in consideration as the top horsepower version
I predict an early 08' release with the production verison debuting near the end of this year.
Hyperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
This is a disappointment to the common man.

Now, I'm not trying to be a downer or anything. Chevy still has 2 yrs to change since nothing is final yet.

If I'm reading this right, there will be no Z/28 & SS. There will only be 1 V8, but multiple V6s. Ok, now if there is 1 V8 engine with 2 different tunes aggresive and sporty, that would be cool. I mean if the common man is forced to buy either a V6 or a 40K V8 Camaro....that kills the whole vibe.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash Chevy, but does anyone else read that the same way? I'd say it's highly unlikely they're screwing with us on the engine thing.
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote