Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
NAS

Drives: '10 SS
Letting a car thief decide what you drive?

Hello fellow gen5 owners and camaro5 members. As most of you from the bay know that Camaros have been stolen left and right particularly in the east bay region in cities that are located near or around Oakland. I was wondering would you let that stop you from purchasing or driving around in your SS??? I say this cuz long story short I live in a complex with 3 Camaro SS including mine. Two of them which including mine were stolen within 24 hours of each other and the third was taking a few weeks later. I had a chance to talk to both owners and both didn't want the car back. Well one had his car found but stripped to the bones and when he got that far check believe it or not he decided to purchase a chevy sonic as "he didn't want to live with the paranoia of being stolen again" (his was actually stolen in broad daylight in front of his parking) and the other found his car damaged but is currently under repairs but he already decided once it's done he is trading it in for something else not a camaro for the same reason of paranoia. I mean to each his own they can do whatever they want with the money they work hard for but I feel like you can't let that decide what you are gonna drive. You can always add theft detterent devices (club, alarm, gps) to protect it. Of course if they want it that bad and have time they will take it I just felt that you are basically giving power to the thiefs to decide which car you are driving. I don't know but that just my opinion. Thoughts?

PS Sorry for that long rant I just thought it was ridiculous but hey people can choose to drive whatever they want.
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Is it harder to steal a manual SS vs an automatic?

I mean, not in terms of driver ability (I know that can impact theft too), but in the actual method they seem to be using for Camaros.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Is it harder to steal a manual SS vs an automatic?

I mean, not in terms of driver ability (I know that can impact theft too), but in the actual method they seem to be using for Camaros.
no probably the opposite

they are usually being towed away
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I see the problem a bit differently. If cars are getting stolen with regularity right out side my residence, it's time to move (at all cost, period, end of story).
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
no probably the opposite

they are usually being towed away
Ah. To avoid this, I've heard you should back into your spots, then turn your wheel to full lock?
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
NAS

Drives: '10 SS
I doubt they are being towed away because why were all the cars taken ignition torn and the wires were messed with?
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Ah. To avoid this, I've heard you should back into your spots, then turn your wheel to full lock?
A thief with a flatbed is running a serious operation. They're going to hook up to the front wheels and drag it aboard. Nothing you can do to stop it.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I see the problem a bit differently. If cars are getting stolen with regularity right out side my residence, it's time to move (at all cost, period, end of story).

Or if you catch someone breaking in your car you fire something "HOT" in their direction to make them think again about stealing your car.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I couldn't live in an area that had such rampant car thefts. Cars are my vice and I worry enough about them getting scratched, never mind getting stolen.

When I lived in NYC, I used to rent a private garage. Can you do the same? To me it was worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
crazy thought

Quote:
A thief with a flatbed is running a serious operation. They're going to hook up to the front wheels and drag it aboard. Nothing you can do to stop it.
this is actually pretty true, who would say something if someone in a legit looking tow truck was towing away someones car/camaro and the owners was no where around? they could say it was being repossessed!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:

No kidding. Biggest worry I have is door dings or someone tossing trash into it when we leave it with the top down.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, I would still want a Camaro and would hide a GPS with battery back up in the car. I also suspect a tow truck, it's just faster. They are not worried about the alarm or splicing wires after breaking the ignition. Snatch and go in just minutes.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
This is an unbelievable thread topic. It makes me sick and I'm sorry you have to go through this crap. Why do bad guys always seem to win? When are they going to get caught red handed and be shot dead? Only then will they stop stealing from people. I know it's a harsh response, but dangit, this is someone's personal--and very expensive--property.

Put up surveillance cameras immediately. If you can't shoot them with a gun, maybe you can shoot a picture of these a..holes and give the police something to go on. Cops cannot be everywhere, so it's up to Joe Citizen to step up here.

We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Quote:
+1 that's just a tad too hard core.