The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
jsvette

Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
Question Museum Delivery

I plan on picking up my Stingray at the Corvette Museum (R8C option). However I will have an over 1500 mile drive home and want to protect the paint from bugs and chips on the drive. Any temporary solutions I have searched like Plasti Dip and Armour All are not intended for fresh paint/fresh clearcoat. What suggestions/solutions have been successfully tried, if any, in similar situations? The only other possibility I can think of is using painters tape like sometimes done at the track. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
WesC5

Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
JS... Your concerns are exactly why I haven't done the Museum option. Other than a bra (ugh), I doubt there is really anything you can do to protect your car from chips. At least not that I know of...

I'd love to do the museum pickup. But I don't want any chips on the front of my car before I even have a chance to detail her. Heck, I even have the dealership call me when my car comes in. I watch them take it off the loader and into the dealership. If there are any dealer options to be installed, I let them. Otherwise they don't do anything to her. I detail her myself. Anal? Yeah, I admit it. Just remember, no one is going to take care of her as well as you will..
Good luck...hope you're able to get her home safely.
WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
I plan on picking up my Stingray at the Corvette Museum (R8C option). However I will have an over 1500 mile drive home and want to protect the paint from bugs and chips on the drive. Any temporary solutions I have searched like Plasti Dip and Armour All are not intended for fresh paint/fresh clearcoat. What suggestions/solutions have been successfully tried, if any, in similar situations? The only other possibility I can think of is using painters tape like sometimes done at the track. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesC5 View Post
JS... Your concerns are exactly why I haven't done the Museum option. Other than a bra (ugh), I doubt there is really anything you can do to protect your car from chips. At least not that I know of...

I'd love to do the museum pickup. But I don't want any chips on the front of my car before I even have a chance to detail her. Heck, I even have the dealership call me when my car comes in. I watch them take it off the loader and into the dealership. If there are any dealer options to be installed, I let them. Otherwise they don't do anything to her. I detail her myself. Anal? Yeah, I admit it. Just remember, no one is going to take care of her as well as you will..
Good luck...hope you're able to get her home safely.
it's called an enclosed trailer guys.

if your that worried about something as normal as road wear... just trailer the car.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Or pick up a bra you can wrap yourself on the front until you get home. Or schedule a clear bra installation the day you pick up in bowling green.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I did go with Museum Delivery on my Stingray order. I'm about 350 miles from Bowling Green. I plan to drive my '74 down with a friend so I can take photos of both the '74 and '14 at the Museum and plant. I will be packing blue painters tape for the low areas, and there are a couple of companies that sell a clear bra that is temporary and comes in rolls. I will pick up a couple different width rolls of that too. I can't see putting a permanent clear bra on it until I have an idea of all the chip-prone areas. Temporary bras or tape can protect and give info on the best areas for the future clear bra.

Besides, mine will be my daily driver, chips are expected!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
jsvette

Thanks for replies so far. None of my cars including highly unique ones are "Garage Queens" and all are driven as intended . Rock chips are repaired using Dr ColorChip. However I am still interested in what others have done under similar long initial drives home from the delivery. Trailering is no different in my mind than having it delivered to my local dealer after an R8C. I intend on enjoying it from day one and driving it home. Painters tape is probably the way I will go. I have never liked clear bras no matter how carefully and professionally applied- that is just my personal opinion. Also I was not aware that they recommended putting a clear bra on brand new paint. My interest was in minimizing damage while the car was so new.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I just remembered the temporary clear bra I mentioned earlier. It's called RoadWrap and comes in 6" & 18" wide rolls. Temporary just like the painters tape, but clear, and would take less time to apply since it's wider. A 100 ft. roll of 18" is $45, 6" is $20. This will be what I do when I pick mine up at the Museum.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
I just remembered the temporary clear bra I mentioned earlier. It's called RoadWrap and comes in 6" & 18" wide rolls. Temporary just like the painters tape, but clear, and would take less time to apply since it's wider. A 100 ft. roll of 18" is $45, 6" is $20. This will be what I do when I pick mine up at the Museum.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...road-wrap.html
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
jsvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
Thanks for the link. From that the consensus certainly appears to warn away from using Road Wrap. So, other than doing nothing, it seems like painters tape is still a viable short term solution unless there are related horror stories about its impact on a new car.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Normally, I'd puh puh the "don't put anything on new paint" folks but the rule of thumb used to be let paint cure for 30 days prior to waxing, polishing, etc. If this were a BMW that was sitting in a boat for 2 weeks coming over and then at the VPC for another week prior to delivery, I wouldn't sweat anything - tape away. However, since you're picking up at the factory, it might be only a few days old on the paint job.

My personal experience? Last new car I picked up at the dealer in Sommerville, NJ. 2010 GTI. Jumped in, drove it 300 miles home the first day. Down the Garden State Parkinglot, over to Atlantic City for sh!ts & giggles then back down 95. No appreciable damage that I saw the first day. Yes, I've got a couple of minor chips in the hood and front bumper after almost 4 years but I consider that to be normal road car wear & tear. C7 will probably be the same scenario (in fact, if I get it at Kerbeck, it will be the same trip back from AC). I've seen some clear bra installs that look really good (which means you can't really see them) and might consider one if I can find a great installer right off the bat.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote