Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
More aggressive Rear Diffuser options for a ZL1?

Hi all

Is an SS rear diffuser interchangeable with a ZL1?

The reason I ask is that I've seen the V. Veloce and and the Anderson Composites (who aren't the same as ACS Composites as I just found out!), however I've just seen this one from Extreme Dimensions, however they are saying it won't fit the ZL1 on account of the ZL 1 being wider.
Now I know the front wings are, but I didn't think the rear was?
Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or any other more aggressive than stock rear valance/diffuser I could consider?

Cheers
Attached Images

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i dont think they are and stay away from carbon creatons there fitment and quality suck
Old 09-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
NO, they are not. The notches in the bumper are different for the rear diffuser for SS and ZL1
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
The rear diffuser is of minimal effect. To be truly helpful, you need a flat, continuous rear underbody area to get the benefit of creating a low pressure area, thereby generating downforce. The exhaust suitcase can’t be closed off to make the area flat, there isn’t enough angle to generate a lot of low pressure, and as soon as you change the exhaust and leave a large vacant area, you lose aero in that area. Needing a flat area is part of the reason Porsche just went mid engine on their race cars and why exhaust is plumbed differently on all race cars typically
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:11 AM   #5
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
The rear diffuser is of minimal effect.
I think the general market for this style of diffuser is more about aesthetics and less about aero.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
True. I had just read a thread by someone who was more interested in track performance and somehow got crossed up and thought this topic was by the same person. Wrong audience
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Gary H

Not really. A more functional rear diffuser will not make a jot of difference to us mere mortals who occasionally track for the reasons you have already stated. if I do change out my tailbox and have the opportunity to improve the underbody aero, I will. Driver training would be of far more value than enhanced aero to be to be fair.
Where racing - and every fraction of a second and tenth of a mph is crucial, then absolutely.
However from my point of view as long as it doesn't increase drag, I'm looking for something that cosmetically matches the aggression of the front. I can see the that the ZL1 diffuser extends further around the sides, so as teh market seems to be predominantly for SS models, I was wondering if they were interchangeable. If the rear bumper profile is the same, then the issue will be the slots on the side of the ZL1 bumper ( I think)
I hope that helps.

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Gary H

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
NO, they are not. The notches in the bumper are different for the rear diffuser for SS and ZL1
Thank you. By that do you mean ( as I suspect) that fitting an SS diffuser will leave slots exposed on the sides of the bumper, or are the slots along the back side completely different, so it wouldn't fit anyway, regardless of exposed slot holes?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Gary H

Thank you!

Old 09-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLBlue View Post
Saw this on an Insta camaro page a long while back. The diffuser you mentioned was fitted on a ZL1. Here's a bad screenshot i had since I lost the link to the original post

My opinion, go with Anderson Composites or ZL1addon's diffuser that bolts under our original one.
IMO the pic of that diffuser on the ZL1 looks all wrong. It simply doesn’t accentuate the beautiful 6 Gen lines... too choppy/clumsy.
Pupilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Lugojf

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
APR Performance rear diffuser...
Lugojf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
https://www.ventusveloce.com/collect...-rear-diffuser
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I'll be giving my car to Trufiber next week for measurements. I bought them a Zl1 1le diffuser to make a mould with but since carbon doesn't flex they need my whole care to make a bracket or brace for the mould. The OEM plastic part is very flimsy and flexable where as the carbon is not.

Anyhow 2 options, Make it look like the OEM or give me some idea's for looks and AERO that works.

If you recall their ZL1 1LE splitter is almost identical to the GM just a 3 piece out of Carbon fiber, I also have their side skirts. So this will be the last part of the puzzle.

https://trufiber.com/product-categor...6-2019-camaro/

I'd Also like to work with them on lower splitter that goes under neath the oem one and uses the rods for support.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugojf View Post
APR Performance rear diffuser...
Isn't this more of just a cover?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote