The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
When the time comes i think im gonna buy some land in the rockys and figure out how to make some quality shine to run through my camaro.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Anything can be done...it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
All about the money, huh guys? just kidding.
Call me a tree-hugger, but if cars go electric like the volt (which I think they will if GM is putting all their chips in) I'm all for it. I would like not to screw Mother Nature over any more than we already have . Which is why I'm considering this mother-of-all modifications. I'm not willing to sacrifice my car for her .
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Speaking of screwing over mother nature, anyone here see the movie The Day After Tomorrow? All that they said made too much sense and made it seem like it could happen in real life. My prediction...it's gonna happen sometime in the near future...most likely not our lifetimes, but sometime here soon w/ the way we are going.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

I did see that movie
And isn't that a scary thought:eek: ? That the whole world just ices over within 3 days...

I actually seriously considered the Volt as an option for me in the future. It looks pretty nice too . Then I looked at the picture of the Camaro on my desktop...I can't do it. I need my Camaro.
So that got me toying with the idea of re-vamping the car.

I really don't think it's that "out there" of an idea. Don't get me wrong it will be a $hi!- load of work. But I'd be willing to do it .
And I'm more than confident that they will have high-powered motors that will be = 300+ hp by the time any of my plans go into effect. So the concern of the weight of the car vs. motor power really doesn't bother me. I want to put a Volt-like powertrain into it. I'd place the batteries up in the drive shaft canal and some under the hood with the generator. I'd get the most powerful electric motors I could get my hands on and mount them to the wheels. Obviously I'll have to research the mechanics of an electric vehicle a little bit more if/when I do do this, but hey, why not. It will give me something to do in my retirement.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #20
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Speaking of screwing over mother nature, anyone here see the movie The Day After Tomorrow? All that they said made too much sense and made it seem like it could happen in real life. My prediction...it's gonna happen sometime in the near future...most likely not our lifetimes, but sometime here soon w/ the way we are going.
The claims made in that movie are complete BS. Of course running out of our already depleated natural resources is a real problem, the effects of global warming are taken to a theatric extreme in that movie. The environmental research on global warming is very segmented and doesn't even demonstrate any real evidence of "global warming" as we have all come to know it. There have been an increase in greenhouse gases over the course of the last 100 year, but there is no evidence that it has had any real impact on weather or climate.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

No evidence!?!?
Have you been paying attention to the weather over the globe the past few years?
More Huricanes and more violent than ever before in Southern US
I can tell you from experience that the Snow up here in NY is some of the worst I've ever seen!
Trust me there is evidence, maybe not significant evidence, but it's only a matter of time...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No evidence!?!?
Have you been paying attention to the weather over the globe the past few years?
More Huricanes and more violent than ever before in Southern US
I can tell you from experience that the Snow up here in NY is some of the worst I've ever seen!
Trust me there is evidence, maybe not significant evidence, but it's only a matter of time...
Yes, I said evidence. What you just listed was your own observations. You can hardly call your own observations in global climate over the last few years a trend or evidence.

As for your argument regarding an increase in tropical cyclones (Huricanes), the National Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory has actually documented a decreased number of tropical cyclones over the last 40 years worldwide. Again, you can not make a claim about a global trend based on local data, especially when that data is based on one's own personal observations.

Moreover, the instrumentation used to identify and quantify tropical storms has greatly improved over the last 15-20 years which makes it even more difficult to make any substantitive claims regarding huricanes because the equipment used prior to this was not very accurate leading to simplistic and inaccurate models.

Even if you completely disregard the evidence i just presented, there would have to be some theory to support such a claim. The general theory used by the supporters of global warming usually follows this logic: global warming leads to increased ocean surface temperatures, which leads to a greater uptake of moisture and destructive hurricanes.

However, if you look at the temperature data since 1890 you will see only a rise in temperature of about .8 degrees celcius over that period. this is hardly enough to significantly affect the moisture levels int he tropics.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
So Casull, do you think it could happen or not?

Do you think our way of living is having an effect on our environment (climate)?

"In the past million years, the Earth experienced a major ice age about every 100,000 years. Scientists have several theories to explain this glacial cycle, but new research suggests the primary driving force is all in how the planet leans....

The last major glacial thaw was 10,000 years ago, which means that the Earth is scheduled to head into another ice age. Whether human influences could reverse this, Huybers was hesitant to speculate. Other researchers have found evidence that the process of climate warming can set up conditions that create a global chill.

"What we have here is a great laboratory for seeing how climate changes naturally," he said. "But this is a 100,000-year cycle, whereas global warming is happening a thousand times faster"
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...arth_tilt.html
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #24
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
So Casull, do you think it could happen or not?

Do you think our way of living is having an effect on our environment (climate)?

"In the past million years, the Earth experienced a major ice age about every 100,000 years. Scientists have several theories to explain this glacial cycle, but new research suggests the primary driving force is all in how the planet leans....

The last major glacial thaw was 10,000 years ago, which means that the Earth is scheduled to head into another ice age. Whether human influences could reverse this, Huybers was hesitant to speculate. Other researchers have found evidence that the process of climate warming can set up conditions that create a global chill.

"What we have here is a great laboratory for seeing how climate changes naturally," he said. "But this is a 100,000-year cycle, whereas global warming is happening a thousand times faster"
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...arth_tilt.html
Well, there is no doubt that our burning of fossil fuels are dramatically adding to the CO2 levels in our atmosphere. The CO2 levels have in fact increased some 28% just in the last 50 years. However, this still a very very small amount of the total atmosphere. Nitrogen makes up 78% of our atmosphere, Oxygen makes up about 21%, and CO2 and some others about 1%. Therefore is would have to take a very significant amout of CO2 to drastically alter our atmosphere.

There are a number of theories out there that try to explain any temperature variation however. Some researchers believe that it is due tot he increase in volcanic activity worldwide, while others think that the solar cycles can account for the majority of the variation. It has also been demonstrated that the temperatures in urban areas have increased significantly more than rural areas, leading many people to believe that temperature variation is more of a local phenomenon rather than a global phenomenon. In fact if you account for the variation in temperature by urban cities, the average temperature has actually decreased over the past 100 years.

The fact is that no one knows for sure the effect humans are having on our climate, if any. Likewise, the research on the effect of increased CO2 emmissions on our climate is even more fragmented demonstrating that there is not one clear cut trend.

Going back to your quote about global warming leading to a global chill, I believe that is a reference to the notion that global warming would lead to the recession of glaciers which would then uncover a mass of pockets of methane gas in the earth's surface. If enough Methane gas was released into the atmosphere, then it could in theory create a global chill.

However, this theory clearly relies on the assumption that global warming is, in itself, melting the glaciers, and this is just not the case. In fact some glaciers have been receeding now for thousands of years, way before greenhouse gases. Also, it has been reported that a number of glaciers are actually growing, particularly those in Greenland, which further throws a kink into any assumption that greenhouse gases are melting our glaciers.

EDIT: I know I did not answer your question directly as to whether I think it could happen. In theory, yes... However, it is just too difficult to determine any effect human interaction is having on the climate.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

I'm not going to say anything of value in this post;
only that I am fighting very hard not to argue with anyone...:slice:
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Why? It's a fourm, "open discussion" Casull is a good guy, he is not going to insult you for having an opinion.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #27
Casull

Quote:
I am not trying to stir crap up. I have always found it interesting that the media and government are constantly touting their environmental agenda and have somehow brain washed people into believing that global warming is occuring at an incredible rate and it is all due human beings.

In fact, I would venture to say that 95% or more of the population do not really know what the research on this matter has shown.

I am not trying to start an argument, just present the facts and real scientific evidence.

I am also not advocating that we go around and just start buring all of the fossil fuel we want becasue it has not been demonstraded to have any clear cut effect on our climate. I obviously realize the need to contril emissions and to decrease the amount of CO2 we are putting into our environment.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Why? It's a fourm, "open discussion" Casull is a good guy, he is not going to insult you for having an opinion.
Thank you.... I like you guys and enjoy coming here. That is why I post. I am not trying to offend anyone, just presenting my point of view.