Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Realize that anything you add to the grille area is going to change the cooling properties.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
But not enuf to matter for a DD, lots of forums using this: BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc

Obviously if this a track car, it would be diff....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
But not enuf to matter for a DD, lots of forums using this: BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc

Obviously if this a track car, it would be diff....
Probably right there, cooling is such a hot topic with this car.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I think if you use something like screen door mesh (pretty tight mesh) you could *possibly* have some cooling issues on this platform, but a looser mesh as has been pictured... probably not. I could be wrong, but they built a LOT of cooling capacity into this car after the Z06 issues. Now, on a Z06, well, I would be very hesitant to add any kind of mesh as they are prone to overheating, especially the 15's and 16's. Even more so with the auto transmission.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
I think if you use something like screen door mesh (pretty tight mesh) you could *possibly* have some cooling issues on this platform, but a looser mesh as has been pictured... probably not. I could be wrong, but they built a LOT of cooling capacity into this car after the Z06 issues. Now, on a Z06, well, I would be very hesitant to add any kind of mesh as they are prone to overheating, especially the 15's and 16's. Even more so with the auto transmission.
I think you would have to determine how much the total surface area of the mesh restricts airflow. Sounds like an engineer project.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #20
Glen e

You need something that just knocks down the bugs, does not let them thru, but does not stick on the screen, gutter guard does that well as that's precisely the purpose of its use on gutters, being plastic, it neither rusts or deforms. Anything else you use with smaller holes has a possibility of the bug sticking and reducing airflow.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #21
GarnetRedJuan

Drives: 2017 garnet red zl1 2022 AT4 HD
Well I have an update already. Because the car is so new, unmodified and the first case nationwide it sounds like, they are doing a goodwill repair on it. I'm on the hook for a small deductible through them but they really responded positively and quickly to my concern of this.

I like the mesh idea, but I have my concerns. One being the idea of it not being stock and that point and if something happens with it installed, it could be used as grounds to void a warranty claim. Also, I don't know how it would look on the Zl1's aggressive and beautiful bumper.
GarnetRedJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
How did you mount that? Did you just use the zip ties or is there an adhesive you use on the inside?
Looks like zip ties to me... Honda civic status...
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
Looks like zip ties to me... Honda civic status...
True, that was a civic, just a pic I grabbed, but there are so many ways to mount without ties, or a view from the front. And since on many cars it just sits in front of the rad, it comes out easily if you are having warr work done.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #24
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetRedJuan View Post
Well I have an update already. Because the car is so new, unmodified and the first case nationwide it sounds like, they are doing a goodwill repair on it. I'm on the hook for a small deductible through them but they really responded positively and quickly to my concern of this.

I like the mesh idea, but I have my concerns. One being the idea of it not being stock and that point and if something happens with it installed, it could be used as grounds to void a warranty claim. Also, I don't know how it would look on the Zl1's aggressive and beautiful bumper.
That's awesome about the repair...what a relief! Did they tell you what it would entail? Sounds like that means it's fixable and doesn't need a full replacement?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #25
GarnetRedJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
That's awesome about the repair...what a relief! Did they tell you what it would entail? Sounds like that means it's fixable and doesn't need a full replacement?
No, it's a full replacement. It's the charge/air cooler/supercharger cooler. The part itself is cheap, roughly 250 bucks but the labor doesn't have a book time. Basically what they were told is bill hours until you finish and go from there. They estimate 5 hours of labor but it sounds like it's not a bumper removal, but actually coming from the engine side and working back. I feel like removing the bumper would be "easier" to take apart, but way too many parts to put back together correctly.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #26
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetRedJuan View Post
No, it's a full replacement. It's the charge/air cooler/supercharger cooler. The part itself is cheap, roughly 250 bucks but the labor doesn't have a book time. Basically what they were told is bill hours until you finish and go from there. They estimate 5 hours of labor but it sounds like it's not a bumper removal, but actually coming from the engine side and working back. I feel like removing the bumper would be "easier" to take apart, but way too many parts to put back together correctly.
That's not too terrible, if it were a BMW or AUDI you'd be taking out another loan.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #27
GarnetRedJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
That's not too terrible, if it were a BMW or AUDI you'd be taking out another loan.
lol Audi yes, BMW not so much, I think. I've had 10 BMW's maybe in my past life and are so easy and cheap to work on. Sure the dealer is a price gouge sometimes but which isn't. But audis with their timing chain on the rear on the v8's? Come on.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #28
trident
No Hope

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Black Coupe, 2017 Z06,
like your idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Not chicken wire , that rots........use plastic polymer gutter guard from loews, lasts forever and protects

Just happened to have a roll and installed using your example. Black ties on a black car are not even noticeable. Thanks for the tip.
trident is offline   Reply With Quote